Guest Speaker Discounts?

markannab

Hi

My wife and I are excited about being guest speakers next month for the first time. But information regarding onboard discounts is limited. I wonder if anyone experienced in guest speaking onboard P&O could fill me in, please?

The main question is this: A significant discount is offered "at bars". Would this be a loose term that includes coffee shops? My wife and I do enjoy an alcoholic drink. But my wife enjoys a good few pots of tea and I like a few coffees. I assume discounts aren't figured out until the end of the cruise. If so, we would have no idea what we're spending until afterward. If we know these things are included, then we'll be all the happier as we sip away!

Thankyou for any assistance,

Mark.

I'm contracted directly by the cruise line - not an agent. But, as said in the original post, information is very limited. They were my first port of call (pardon the pun) but I just can't find out anything. The one bit of direction I was given was, Talk to reception if you have any questions. While acknowledging the wonderful job those at reception do (and what they have to put up with sometimes), I know from experience there's a fair chance they won't have a definitive answer either. More than likely, the answer would be along the lines of, "Don't worry about it. Your discounts will be applied at the end of the cruise".

We are only talking about coffee and tea (and maybe a few snackies), so it's not worth pursuing to any great length. But if someone who is a guest speaker reads this, then the answer may be quick and simple. Thanks.

I've lectured on ships in Australia, but not with P&O. You need to get any discounts you are entitled to in writing. Once you are onboard the ship, the only thing that counts is what's in your contract. This is what they will check to confirm what you're entitled to onboard. An email from whomever booked your lecturing sailing should suffice at a pinch, but having it in your contract is better.

Thankyou for your reply. And thanks for the tip to be sure to have something in writing. As it is, I have a direct email specifying what travel expenses are covered, having a companion come onboard for free, and the various onboard discounts. Taking your advice, I've printed that out. We have been told our "package" will arrive soon. Likely, that will include the contract.

Two of the discounts are specified as:

Bars: 60%

Restaurant Bars: 25%

I'm assuming restaurant bars refers to when purchasing drinks while dining. With P&O, many "bars" also serve cafe items like barista coffee, latte, teas, etc. I wonder if the discount is limited to just alcohol? I guess I'll soon find out. Thanks for your help.