Birthday signs on cabin doors

becknal

We put photos of our dogs (in magnetic frames) on the door of our suite. Makes the door easy to find and is a conversation starter with our neighbors.

We have also have used "Command Strips" to hang items. We avoid using tape.

Ooh - I like that idea. I think my pal Argo will adorn our door on our next cruise since he can’t come with us. :(

Interesting thread. In our 400 days onboard Regent ships, we rarely see signs other than people that have received plaques from world cruises and other significant Regent cruises.

Regent will put balloons, etc. in your suite (if you notify them in advance of the birthday). Other than that, it is up to you. Personally, I don't put things on our doors (or bumper stickers on our cars).

Not trying to be a downer - just giving my opinion. We do have photos of our cats, etc. in our suite.

Edited by Travelcat2

Interesting thread. In our 400 days onboard Regent ships, we rarely see signs other than people that have received plaques from world cruises and other significant Regent cruises.

Regent will put balloons, etc. in your suite (if you notify them in advance of the birthday). Other than that, it is up to you. Personally, I don't put things on our doors (or bumper stickers on our cars).

Not trying to be a downer - just giving my opinion.

Jackie, Regent is even better than you think.

We never notified them of our birthdays but got the full treatment you mentioned every time anyway!

So no need to put anything on the door...:'):cool:

Ooh - I like that idea. I think my pal Argo will adorn our door on our next cruise since he can’t come with us. :(

I love this idea! Great conversation starter too!

Unlike bumper stickers (which we also don’t put on our vehicles), something on the door is not permanent. We sometimes found it mildly challenging to find the right room on our “mainstream cruise”, since they all looked alike. I liked the tasteful things some people had on their doors. Just because this is a higher end cruise, it doesn’t have to be “stuffy” does it?

In my opinion, a tasteful holiday decoration is different than some of the things that you see on mainstream cruise lines. We intentionally try not to sail on holidays when children are out of school, so there could be more door decorations than what we typically see. We do sail on Thanksgiving almost every year and do notice the decorations put out by Regent which are nice - not overdone or tacky.

When we are on the Voyager (thatwill include Easter which I hadn't realized until this moment), I'll pay attention to the doors on our deck. I rarely notice things on doors. Perhaps I'm too busy looking at the artwork on the walls, etc. (especially on the Explorer that seems to have different themed old photographs on the hallway walls of each deck).

We leave decorating up to Regent so that the ship has the vibe that Regent intends it to have and leave our personal notices, thoughts, family, animals, celebrations for inside our suite. We will be on the Explorer for my DH's birthday next year and I will share that with fellow passengers that may have an interest. I'm sure that I'll get him too many birthday cards - from both me and our kitties which will it fit in with the balloons, etc. that Regent will provide. We will likely invite a couple or two into the our suite for champagne and canapés.

I'm all for fun but do not want it to intrude on anyone else.........

Think its up to you, however I'm not a fan of putting things n your door...I like the clean look. Now on Ron's birthday on are first cruise on Regent and I never said a thing, on his birthday we walked into our cabin after lunch and they had it full of balloons and a Happy Birthday sign on the wall. And of course a cake arrived at dinner. Nice! Rick

I like to 'decorate' our door in a small manner. I did have a request to remove one of my items. It was a Cruise Critic sign...........:D. They gave no reason, just asked that I take ie down. :cool::cool:

I like to 'decorate' our door in a small manner. I did have a request to remove one of my items. It was a Cruise Critic sign...........:D. They gave no reason, just asked that I take ie down. :cool::cool:

Interesting and, as stated, I agree with them. Regent may put up with a few doors being decorated but they care about what the ship looks like - not only in their eyes but in the eyes of others. I see this discussion a lot of NCL and other mainstream cruise lines - their ships must look like a circus with all of the decorations they put on their doors.

I'm with the "clean look" crowd (actually not a crowd at all: fewer people than those speaking on the "go for it" side). I'd be real sorry to see decorations on doors. Much more serious things to worry about in the world, obviously, but I'd not like it at all. JMHO.

I'm with the "clean look" crowd (actually not a crowd at all: fewer people than those speaking on the "go for it" side). I'd be real sorry to see decorations on doors. Much more serious things to worry about in the world, obviously, but I'd not like it at all. JMHO.

I agree.

But why do you care? It does not take away from your enjoyment of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But why do you care? It does not take away from your enjoyment of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm sure that poss will respond but I want to as well. It does take away from the enjoyment of the cruise. Al of us make decisions based on our likes and dislikes. There are large ships, small ships, party ships, sedate ships, ships with a crazy decor and some with a country club feel. All of this plays into why we cruise the cruise Iines that we do. Some people do not want to cruise on the Explorer, as another example, because they feel that it is too "glitzy" while others find it beautiful.

Regent is a luxury cruse line - not a party cruise line (although there is quite a lot of fun to be had that does not include wet t-shirt contests, screamingly loud music, etc.) Regent spends millions of dollars on the decor of their ships and, in the opinion of some, do not need passengers to add to the decor with "personal" decorations.

What some find funny or nice, others might find offensive (advertising a U.S. football team for example - even though I was for the Eagles and I am not trying to bash a previous poster). While Easter is a somewhat universal holiday, if someone puts religious symbols on their door, it could be upsetting to people of a different faith. What is next - political statements on the doors? Everyone can enjoy whatever signs, decorations, photos that they want inside of their suite for their own enjoyment.

Currently, door decorations on Regent are minimal, however, since one poster was asked to remove a Cruise Critic sign from their door, it would not surprise me to find door decorations banned if this trend continues.

Just read on the World Cruise blog that they had a "decorate our door" contest with Australia being the theme. Everyone that wanted to, went around a voted on the best door!

A practical question - if you are on a cruise where would u get bits and pieces to decorate with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure that poss will respond but I want to as well. It does take away from the enjoyment of the cruise. Al of us make decisions based on our likes and dislikes. There are large ships, small ships, party ships, sedate ships, ships with a crazy decor and some with a country club feel. All of this plays into why we cruise the cruise Iines that we do. Some people do not want to cruise on the Explorer, as another example, because they feel that it is too "glitzy" while others find it beautiful.

Regent is a luxury cruse line - not a party cruise line (although there is quite a lot of fun to be had that does not include wet t-shirt contests, screamingly loud music, etc.) Regent spends millions of dollars on the decor of their ships and, in the opinion of some, do not need passengers to add to the decor with "personal" decorations.

What some find funny or nice, others might find offensive (advertising a U.S. football team for example - even though I was for the Eagles and I am not trying to bash a previous poster). While Easter is a somewhat universal holiday, if someone puts religious symbols on their door, it could be upsetting to people of a different faith. What is next - political statements on the doors? Everyone can enjoy whatever signs, decorations, photos that they want inside of their suite for their own enjoyment.

Currently, door decorations on Regent are minimal, however, since one poster was asked to remove a Cruise Critic sign from their door, it would not surprise me to find door decorations banned if this trend continues.

Agree with you 100% on this one, TC. We recently took our grandchildren on a Disney Cruise 😹 and noticed the extensive door decorations as we walk through the massive hallways. All we could think of was how cluttered it looked —like a college dorm - and wondered about the potential fire hazard it created. We prefer a different experience on Regent such as you and several others have described.

My wife will be celebrating her Birthday on a cruise . I would like to post a Happy Birthday sign . Do other passengers do this ?

Becknal, if you think a Happy Birthday sign will make your wife smile on her special day, I sincerely hope you put one up. I doubt that it will be the start of rampant signs throughout the ship.

Enjoy your cruise and your wife's celebration.