Travelling alone

Paul&Jo

Hi all,

I'm a seasoned cruiser but I would like to take a cruise on my own but the price is almost double as soon as I try to book for one. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Or do I just have to suck it up and pay?

I've recently became a Diamond Member with RC, not that it means much but still.

Thanks,

Paul.

Hi

There are cruise lines that have lower or no single supplement. Sometimes only for certain cabin classes or certain sailings, but some lines such as NCL seem to cater more to solo cruisers.

If you are not sure how to find cruise lines that are not charging single supplements, you could ask a travel agent.

Also on the "boards home" page, if you scroll down, you will see a dedicated thread for solo cruising. You will find many answers there.

hope this helps

Watch for sales, and check out cruiseplum.com, which has a nice round in their "solos" section. If you have a trusted travel agent, ask him/her to watch out for you. Also, don't discount the idea of luxury lines for solos.....run the numbers and you might find the costs of an all-inclusive luxury line on sale might be about the same as paying for all the supplements and extra costs on a mainstream line (especially Crystal, which offers 30-35% solo supplement on virtually every cruise).

Hi all,

I'm a seasoned cruiser but I would like to take a cruise on my own but the price is almost double as soon as I try to book for one. Does anyone have any tips or ideas? Or do I just have to suck it up and pay?

I've recently became a Diamond Member with RC, not that it means much but still.

Thanks,

Paul.

As mentioned by others, since rates are based on double occupancy, the solo rates are up to double the individual rate for double occupancy, less one persons taxes and port fees. There are - with certain RCI ship classes and other cruise lines - staterooms that are smaller and intended for solo occupancy that, while still higher than individual rates based on double occupancy, are less costly for the solo passenger. Perhaps check with a travel agent or directly with the cruise lines for assistance in identifying these staterooms.

And loyalty status on RCI (and most other cruise lines) means nothing regarding the rates you will pay as a solo cruiser. The only advantage with RCI is with the balcony discount, which only applies to double occupancy rate bookings.

There are - with certain RCI ship classes and other cruise lines - staterooms that are smaller and intended for solo occupancy that, while still higher than individual rates based on double occupancy, are less costly for the solo passenger.

Do not assume this is true, and always check the price against sailing solo in a double cabin. Depending on the voyage, sometimes it is more expensive to sail in a solo cabin than the sail alone in a standard.

Do not assume this is true, and always check the price against sailing solo in a double cabin. Depending on the voyage, sometimes it is more expensive to sail in a solo cabin than the sail alone in a standard.

That is true and there are times when certain promotions or itineraries may have solo prices less than the typical double rate and at a rate less than that of a solo stateroom. Keep in mind as well that not all ships have dedicated solo staterooms, so those rates will not be available on those ships. But my comments were made in a manner of what is typical and most often the case as on those ships that offer them, the solo staterooms were developed to provide a more cost effective stateroom for the solo cruiser. :)

Unless a sailing is selling very poorly it's rare to get a break on the solo supplement.

If cruise lines did not charge a solo supplement, what would keep two people from each booking their own solo stateroom? Let's say it's $1500pp for a balcony and $1000pp for an inside, no supplement. So instead of two people paying $3000 for the balcony they immediately save $500 by booking one in a balcony and one in an inside. Then they room together in the balcony and use the inside for luggage and an extra bathroom on formal nights. A lot of people would to that in a heartbeat if they could. And shortly thereafter the cruise line would go bankrupt.

As somebody who always sails solo I feel your pain. I could sail more often if I had a paying companion but I don't. I too don't care to share with a stranger - or even somebody I slightly know. Too many stories of cabin mates from hell and I'll take their word for it rather than have the personal experience.

Also, don't discount the idea of luxury lines for solos.....run the numbers and you might find the costs of an all-inclusive luxury line on sale might be about the same as paying for all the supplements and extra costs on a mainstream line (especially Crystal, which offers 30-35% solo supplement on virtually every cruise).

Seconding this. When price hunting for my upcoming cruise to the Caribbean, Silversea's 25% solo supplement ended up making it the most cost effective trip I could take: it's all inclusive, all suites with butlers, I have a mid-ship balcony cabin, many of the excursions are included on this sailing, and I'm paying less than I would have on another line. I never thought of myself as a luxury cruiser, but the solo supplement + the all-inclusive deal + the promotions they were running at the time made it way too good to pass up. And now they've hooked me: I'm planning more on Silversea because of their smaller solo supplement.

the solo staterooms were developed to provide a more cost effective stateroom for the solo cruiser. :)

Yes they were -- and that allows cruise ships to make more money by promoting them as the best deal, even when they're not. Solos think they're getting something "special", when they could sometimes get a better deal elsewhere.

I actually think they're a lousy value and rather insulting to solo cruisers, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. I know many people confuse price with value.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Paul.

Good morning Paul,

I am also a solo cruiser. Most of the major cruise lines went to charging double for the single traveler several years ago. Other than my Diamond Plus discount, I usually try to book my next cruise while I’m still on a cruise as the rates are much better. If you like river cruises, some of those cruise lines offer single fares or are still offering 1.5 times their current rate.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless a sailing is selling very poorly it's rare to get a break on the solo supplement.

If cruise lines did not charge a solo supplement, what would keep two people from each booking their own solo stateroom? Let's say it's $1500pp for a balcony and $1000pp for an inside, no supplement. So instead of two people paying $3000 for the balcony they immediately save $500 by booking one in a balcony and one in an inside. Then they room together in the balcony and use the inside for luggage and an extra bathroom on formal nights. A lot of people would to that in a heartbeat if they could. And shortly thereafter the cruise line would go bankrupt.

As somebody who always sails solo I feel your pain. I could sail more often if I had a paying companion but I don't. I too don't care to share with a stranger - or even somebody I slightly know. Too many stories of cabin mates from hell and I'll take their word for it rather than have the personal experience.

Good advice thanks.

Good morning Paul,

I am also a solo cruiser. Most of the major cruise lines went to charging double for the single traveler several years ago. Other than my Diamond Plus discount, I usually try to book my next cruise while I’m still on a cruise as the rates are much better. If you like river cruises, some of those cruise lines offer single fares or are still offering 1.5 times their current rate.

Patti

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Patti

Yes they were -- and that allows cruise ships to make more money by promoting them as the best deal, even when they're not. Solos think they're getting something "special", when they could sometimes get a better deal elsewhere.

I actually think they're a lousy value and rather insulting to solo cruisers, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. I know many people confuse price with value.

Aside from being priced high, iMO, those solo cabins are often in awful locations, very s mall and no ' bargain'. I would rather a cruise line not offer a 'solo' cabin i fthey will not do it t with some class. Their greed knows no bounds, IMO and it is getting worse, with so many cut backs.

Yes they were -- and that allows cruise ships to make more money by promoting them as the best deal, even when they're not. Solos think they're getting something "special", when they could sometimes get a better deal elsewhere. I actually think they're a lousy value and rather insulting to solo cruisers, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. I know many people confuse price with value.
Aside from being priced high, iMO, those solo cabins are often in awful locations, very s mall and no ' bargain'. Edited by sail7seas

If you shop around, you will sometimes find the single supplement decreasing close to sailing date. Of course, you have to be flexible enough to book last minute -- but that is easier if you do not have to co-ordinate with anyone else. I sailed solo for a number of years - until 2008, and always booked less than two weeks out.

One person having to pay full (or close to full) cabin price only SEEMS unfair - what would be unfair would be to expect cruise lines to cut cabin fares just because someone wanted a two person cabin to himself.

Aside from being priced high, iMO, those solo cabins are often in awful locations, very s mall and no ' bargain'.

I know! They've managed to sell the worst real estate on the ship and make it seem like a special bargain, LOL.

One person having to pay full (or close to full) cabin price only SEEMS unfair - what would be unfair would be to expect cruise lines to cut cabin fares just because someone wanted a two person cabin to himself.

I actually do think it's "unfair" to expect solo passengers to pay double, because they're not using double the utilities, double the food, double the services, etc -- even though they are using double the cabin space when sailing in a standard cabin. But life isn't fair and they can charge what the market will bear, so in that sense it's "fair" that they can charge whatever they like to fill their cabins with satisfied customers.

I'm debating this question, actually......while I will have the means to pay double for a cruise that I want on a cruise line I'd like to try, I don't know if I am comfortable paying them double and what it means.

Ncl winter cruises from New York City. I just did a 10 day cruise for 120.00 per day. Check the Solo board for other deals.

Was that an inside cabin or a solo studio? Thanks. Still a good price either way ... just curious what NCL offers solo cruisers.

I actually do think it's "unfair" to expect solo passengers to pay double...

/quote]

But apparently you would not think it unfair for the line to only get half the fare for the cabin just because one person wanted to have it alone: with the result that only one person, rather than two, would be doing the on-board spending which is what generates a large part of the profit.

It isn't that solo's pay double: they are simply expected to pay the going rate for the cabin. Do you expect a hotel to charge you half the room rent if you occupy the room alone?

I actually do think it's "unfair" to expect solo passengers to pay double...

/quote]

But apparently you would not think it unfair for the line to only get half the fare for the cabin just because one person wanted to have it alone: with the result that only one person, rather than two, would be doing the on-board spending which is what generates a large part of the profit.

It isn't that solo's pay double: they are simply expected to pay the going rate for the cabin. Do you expect a hotel to charge you half the room rent if you occupy the room alone?

No, I think a supplement makes sense, but not double. It's not at all the same as a hotel because of all the other inclusions on a cruise ship --- it's more of an inclusive resort than a hotel. Yes, the room space is the same, but a cruise is more than a room and most of the other things are not the same (including food, drink, use of utilities and staff, etc).

Yes, a solo passenger will typically spend less than two passengers rooming together, which is why cruise lines want to discourage solo passengers, and that's their right. It's a free marketplace for a recreation product (as I said) and they can charge whatever the market will bear. I recognize that what I think is reasonable means nothing to them, and where I choose to spend my $500 a night won't change their mind. I'm OK with that :)