Solo Dining on HAL

gailellen12

Hi Everyone - If you have traveled solo on HAL -do they have a specific way they handle solo diners in the main dining room? I would like to dine solo for part of my 14 day trip but wouldn't mind sharing a table with a small group from time to time. What sort of request should I make to accommodate my dining preferences? Anytime dining better than assigned? Thanks. I have also posted this on solo travelers blog. :confused:

I’ve traveled solo on HAL more than with DH.

Being you want a mixture of alone and with others, it is better to choose Anytime Dining. (If you choose Fixed, you have a place at an assigned table and the others at the table will expect you there most evenings. Fixed is for those who want consistent time and table mates.*)

With Anytime, you go when you prefer to eat. When you check in at the podium they will ask you if you prefer a table by yourself or to share with a group. The nights I choose a group, I usually say a large table (6-8), and on my last cruise (South America) I added English speaking due to the large number of others speaking other languages.

I have found great service either with joining a group or on my own. I typically go around 6:00 and have never waited more than 10 minutes. Many times it is no wait. With Anytime you can make a reservation up to 3 days in advance. I’ve sat at tables that were so compatible that we made a group reservation later in the cruise to repeat.

*If you book Fixed, then go to Anytime, you run the risk of losing your Fixed assignment.

Edited by TiogaCruiser

I've done most of my HAL cruises solo. Agree with Tioga Cruiser as to the approach to take to solo dining. No need to email HAL or confer with the Maitre D' - it will get you nothing.

I just walk up to the podium, give them my room number, and tell them I want to sit with others. Done and done.

Roz

I've sailed solo on HAL and in general I like Anytime Dining. Most of the time I like to share a table at dinner; it's a nice way to meet others and then you end up seeing them in other places around the ship.

Funny thing is that if you tend to go at around the same time each evening and request a shared table, it seems you often end up with the same several groups -- I guess we are all on the same schedule. :')

If I decide to dine by by myself some evening and am on the Freestyle Dining plan is it best to make a reservation for a table for myself (table for two?.) I would imagine they fill up quickly. I like to eat early so that might help. I think I will be mixing it up with dining solo and group dining. I guess depending on how tired I am on any given evening.

My experience is that it's easier to get a small table later in the evening than earlier, but it can vary depending on the cruise.

Roz

Just a comment for Solo Diners. DW and I always do open sitting and generally ask to share a large table (for 6 or 8) We always welcome (and are delighted) when we are joined by Solo cruisers. We love to socialize at dinner and this is a great way to make some new friends :). I can appreciate how difficult it can be for many Solos to sit with strangers.....but we simply want to say "don't be a stranger."

Hank

Just a comment for Solo Diners. DW and I always do open sitting and generally ask to share a large table (for 6 or 8) We always welcome (and are delighted) when we are joined by Solo cruisers. We love to socialize at dinner and this is a great way to make some new friends :). I can appreciate how difficult it can be for many Solos to sit with strangers.....but we simply want to say "don't be a stranger."

Hank

I don't think I'll ever do fixed dining again for this very reason. I enjoy meeting other people, and the anytime dining passengers who choose to sit with others feel the same way. Thank you for making us solos feel welcome.

Roz

Here's another question about solo dining. This will be my first time sailing solo. My late husband and I often had a bottle of wine at the table, and somehow, because there were two of us, never felt that it was rude not to share with others at the table. But if I'm alone and have a bottle of wine, would it seem rude not to offer a glass to others, in your experience?

Here's another question about solo dining. This will be my first time sailing solo. My late husband and I often had a bottle of wine at the table, and somehow, because there were two of us, never felt that it was rude not to share with others at the table. But if I'm alone and have a bottle of wine, would it seem rude not to offer a glass to others, in your experience?

Not rude at all. I every once in a while offer a taste when someone has emptied the one glass they brought from happy hour. I oftentimes finish a bottle by myself though so not much available to share.

Absolutely not. I've sat with solos (fixed dining) who had wine and never considered it rude that they didn't share.

I had the same question the first time I brought my own bottle to the MDR. And to get around it (the first night) I ate alone. Since then, I’ve gotten comfortable with “my bottle.” I have noticed that everyone at the tables I have been at just orders for themselves. Sometimes a couple will have a package, but many just order a glass. I personally can’t drink a glass unless it’s a small pour, so a bottle works fine for me.

One cruise(7 nights) I had half a bottle left the last night and offered some to my tablemates.

I never have made a reservation.

Same here - have never made a reservation dining solo. To me reservations take away the flexibility of anytime dining.

Roz

Many years ago it was the cruising norm to share bottles of wine, even with strangers. When we had fixed dining we would often just rotate (nightly) who bought the wine and it was fun. But now, this tradition has melted away and its no longer necessary to share. In some ways it becomes a problem because those who accept then often feel obligated to buy the next drink, etc. etc. We sometimes offer to share if another person shows an interest in our wine selection and wants a taste. I think a lot of the sharing incentive disappeared when cruise lines started open dining schemes where you might be dining with different folks every evening.

Hank

No reservation needed if you know you want to dine alone on a particular evening? Just come any time? (am I right with this?) That would work for me. Dining solo some nights and with others some nights - mixing it up. alone time I think I will need sometimes!

Same here - have never made a reservation dining solo. To me reservations take away the flexibility of anytime dining.

Roz

And the same for me. Unlike on Princess, on the few times I requested to dine alone (two-top), there was not a long wait.

No reservation needed if you know you want to dine alone on a particular evening? Just come any time? (am I right with this?) That would work for me. Dining solo some nights and with others some nights - mixing it up. alone time I think I will need sometimes!

Yes, that sounds like my last 14 day cruise. Just add in a spontaneous diversion to the Lido when nothing in the MDR interested me and South America night was going on in the buffet, or we were scenic cruising at dinner time.:D

Just some additional notes on Solo Dining. I have been on many cruises, mostly solo. For the first few I was on fixed - the only thing available at that time. One success was a table of 8 which was all solo passengers. Another success was a table of 6, one couple with her mother, and another couple. I am still in contact with the family and have visited their home as part of cruises. One failure was being the 5th person at a table where the other 4 were traveling together. Despite the fact that we lived near each other and were familiar with each others home cities, early on I realized that I was the 5th wheel and stopped attending and just went to the Lido.

More recently I have done anytime dining. It has allowed me to join whoever might ask during the day, or eat alone.

I must note, however, that even having anytime dining I was able to join friends that had fixed dining on some evenings if a place a the table was open. On my last cruise 7 friends were on fixed dining at a table of 8 and the dining room manager assured me I was welcome to join them any night I wished. I did so on 3 or 4 of the 13 nights.