Tipping on HAL ships

gailellen12

Good afternoon - I have just booked a HAL cruise and was unsure about their tipping policy. Are tips automatically added onto your final bill or do you just give cash at the end? If they are included, I probably would give extra anyway for such hard working staff. Thanks, Gail

Tips are included in the hotel service charge (HSC). You are free to tip extra for outstanding service. (You may also find this thread merged with the single thread on tipping, which is pinned to the top of this board, just in case it seems to have disappeared.)

Good afternoon - I have just booked a HAL cruise and was unsure about their tipping policy. Are tips automatically added onto your final bill or do you just give cash at the end? If they are included, I probably would give extra anyway for such hard working staff. Thanks, Gail

Did you use a TA to make your bookling?

Did they not tell you re: HAL's tipping style?

Both. [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't understand why there is a only one thread allowed re:tipping when other questions also get asked multiple times in their own threads and don't get combined. Who wants to read 1300 posts to find the answer to their question when about 3/4 of them are going to be fighting back and forth about whether or not one should tip at all? Maybe we could have a single thread about laundry, signature beverage package, is Veendam falling apart, etc?

Tips are added automatically to your bill for your room steward and the dining room staff. I still tip extra for room service and others that do a personal service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Tips are added automatically to your bill for your room steward and the dining room staff. I still tip extra for room service and others that do a personal service.

The HSC is divided among all the crew. Room and dining stewards plus galley, laundry, deck crew...everyone except staff, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I don't understand why there is a only one thread allowed re:tipping when other questions also get asked multiple times in their own threads and don't get combined. Who wants to read 1300 posts to find the answer to their question when about 3/4 of them are going to be fighting back and forth about whether or not one should tip at all? Maybe we could have a single thread about laundry, signature beverage package, is Veendam falling apart, etc?

How about a single thread for appropriate dress in the MDR?

Honestly I don't understand why there is a only one thread allowed re:tipping when other questions also get asked multiple times in their own threads and don't get combined.
Perhaps that thread should be for any posts about the topic other than asking a (non-loaded) question and providing an objective (i.e., "words of the cruise line") answer. I think the intention of the single thread is to collect together all the conflicting opinions.

Honestly I don't understand why there is a only one thread allowed re:tipping when other questions also get asked multiple times in their own threads and don't get combined.
Because, like smoking at one time, there were tipping threads being started over and over beating the same dead horse. grsnovi was starting this thread down the endless-argument path by stating in post #3 "When you settle you can adjust it. We often will tip our cabin stewards upon arrival." Other repeat topics, such as MDR dress, do change somewhat over time more than tipping.

The HSC is divided among all the crew. Room and dining stewards plus galley, laundry, deck crew...everyone except staff, I believe.
I believe it's everyone in the Hotel Department except officers. That would omit engineering/maintenance, Deck Dept, Security, etc. Edited by catl331

In how many threads and how many times do we need to post the same information?

I honestly think the one, very complete, very lengthy thread is adequate.

One thread is sufficient, however 1300 posts is a lot of diverging opinion.

OP asked a simple question, which has a simple answer.......YES!

Surely it would be easier to answer the question, than to chastise and berate someone and then tell them that the answer is probably in a 1300 post long thread.

So what if it’s been discussed? HAL’s logo has been debated ad nauseum, but that didn’t stop you from posting your opinion there. Almost every topic gets repeated sooner or later.

One thread is sufficient, however 1300 posts is a lot of diverging opinion.

OP asked a simple question, which has a simple answer.......YES!

Surely it would be easier to answer the question, than to chastise and berate someone and then tell them that the answer is probably in a 1300 post long thread.

Not only easier, but more charitable and welcoming as well.

Did I not see on another thread, you wrote you sailed Veendam ? fairly recently? Tipping on Veendam is same as on all HAL ships.

The Moderator of this forum opted to ha ve one thread to cover all HAL tipping conversation . If you have any comments or issues about that, why not ma ke those comments to host Walt?

I happen to think it was a good idea. :)

The Moderator of this forum opted to ha ve one thread to cover all HAL tipping conversation . If you have any comments or issues about that, why not ma ke those comments to host Walt?

I happen to think it was a good idea. :)

It was a good idea but there is absolutely no harm in assisting a fellow CC member who just wants to ask a quick question that many of us know the answer to and can help her out in less than a minute. Why not choose helpfulness over practicality?

I guess I’m just a softie. My time is not so valuable that I get upset when someone asks me a question that has been asked many many times before. I see there being two solutions to the problem of repeated questions: (1) take a minute and answer the question if I have the knowledge at hand or (2) Skip to the next thread that looks interesting to me. The option I choose not to take is to slam the OP for having the audacity to ask the question instead of searching for the answer. But that’s just me.
Me as well. It is important to be kind rather than dismissive toward new people.

[emoji173]️ love the way some posters get their “knickers in a twist” over the silliest of things. Relax, folks.
We should copy and paste this into the threads about how entertainment and dining has changed, and how the Crow's Nest has changed, etc.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

Me as well. It is important to be kind rather than dismissive toward new people.

There is a huge difference between being dismissive and kindly suggesting to new folks that the CC search feature is a very helpful tool... especially with regard to certain 'hot button' topics that inevitably get rehashed over and over on a regular basis here.

There is a huge difference between being dismissive and kindly suggesting to new folks that the CC search feature is a very helpful tool... especially with regard to certain 'hot button' topics that inevitably get rehashed over and over on a regular basis here.

And there is a huge difference between "kindly suggesting" that the search feature is a useful tool and slamming them with CAPS, asking if they can READ.

I will continue to be kind to those asking for assistance. That's all I can control. Others can choose if they want to be dismissive (kindly or not).