'Silversea announces new shorter voyages'

57 varieties

Just saw that. All are European cruises. Perhaps they have not received many bookings? Or, that is what the European cruisers want per a market survey? Frankly, I don't know what to make of it. Thoughts anyone?:confused:

rcvd this email from Silversea today highlighting Biz Class sale on these voyages:

Silversea, in conjunction with our airline partners, is pleased to offer Business Class air to Europe from just $3550. With just one call you can confirm the choice of voyage, preferred suite, business class air, and hotel accommodations on these voyages. This special offer is only available for a limited time and must be booked by January 31.

Featured 2013 Voyages

DATE VOYAGE FROM/TO CRUISE ONLY FARES SILVER SKY

ROUNDTRIP BUSINESS CLASS

AIR FARE

May 18 5313 Istanbul to Piraeus $3,550 $4,450

May 25 5314 Piraues to Monte Carlo $3,650 $4,450

May 28 4310 Copenhagen to Stockholm$3,350 $3,550

May 30 2316 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Venice $4,150 $4,150

Jun 4 4311 Stockholm to Copenhagen $3,150 $3,550

Jun 8 2317 Venice to (Rome) $4,550 $4,150

Jun 9 1318 Southampton to Copenhagen $4,150 $3,550

Jun 9 5316 Monte Carlo to Piraeus $3,650 $4,450

Jun 19 5317 Athens to Istanbul $3,750 $4,450

Jun 22 2319 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Barcelona $4,150 $4,150

Jun 26 5318 Istanbul to Istanbul $4,250 $4,450

Jun 28 4314 Copenhagen to Copenhagen $3,650 $3,550

Jul 3 5319 Istanbul to Piraeus $3,350 $4,450

Jul 5 4315 Copenhagen to Southampton $3,250 $3,550

Jul 8 2321 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Venice $4,150 $4,150

Jul 10 5320 Piraeus to Venice $4,350 $4,450

Jul 12 4316 Stockholm to Copenhagen $3,250 $3,550

Jul 17 2322 Venice to Civitavecchia (Rome) $4,150 $4,150

Jul 19 4317 Copenhagen to Copenhagen $3,650 $3,550

Jul 19 5321 Venice to Venice $4,050 $3,950

Jul 26 5322 Venice to Piraeus $4,350 $4,150

Jul 26 4318 Copenhagen to Stockholm $3,250 $3,550

Aug 2 2324 Barcelona to Barcelona $3,150 $4,150

Aug 9 2325 Barcelona to Civitavecchia (Rome) $3,450 $4,150

Aug 9 4320 Copenhagen to Stockholm $5,850 $3,550

Aug 11 5324 Istanbul to Istanbul $3,550 $4,450

Aug 14 1323 Southampton to Monte Carlo $6,050 $4,150

Aug 16 2326 Civitavecchia (Rome) to Monte Carlo $4,150 $4,150

Aug 18 5325 Istanbul to Piraeus $3,350 $4,450

Aug 19 4321 Stockholm to Copenhagen $3,750 $3,550

There is a press release on the Silversea website and Facebook saying that Silversea are launching 5, 6 and 7 day voyages during Summer 2013. Interesting idea?!
Frankly, I don't know what to make of it. Thoughts anyone?:confused:
I'll be able to provide first hand experience this summer as our particular 10-day voyage #1318 has been broken into two separate 4-day (#1318B)and 6-day (#1318A) cruises.

I have a little trepidation, but its mainly because I don't know how this change will affect the onboard experience, if at all. I certainly hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to participate in two separate muster exercises.

A positive I see from it is that if the cruise is equally divided between passengers, i.e. 50/50 long/short voyages, then we shouldn't have any issues making reservations at Le Champagne and La Terrazza for the final four nights when we board 6 nights earlier. That would be a plus for those of us on the longer voyage on such a small ship.

There is a press release on the Silversea website and Facebook saying that Silversea are launching 5, 6 and 7 day voyages during Summer 2013. Interesting idea?!

Crystal has started doing this by splitting already scheduled 11-day or 12-day cruises into two different, smaller segments/parts. Some traditional luxury sailing customers who are more flexible on their timing and budget hate this idea. This effort/switch can lessen things on the "quality" of experience for some customers and their expectations.

From a marketing standpoint (which is part of my background), this move by Silversea and others is about reaching younger and busy folks with families and work, etc., who cannot do longer cruises. These types of changes can make it more possible for those demographic groups to experience and test these luxury lines. Plus, sample some great ports.

There are strong pro/con factors on both sides to consider. On the Crystal boards, this move received a wide range of comments and strong opinions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 92,291 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We'll most likely avoid these like the plague. The last morning aboard is always a bit of a hit and miss affair so not keen to experience two of those in 10 days (change-over day and final day).

Shorter cruises also tends to mean more kids, especially in summer. Think we'll stick to our 10 days and over itineraries.

This is a dreadful idea for the customer.

The whole feel of a cruise is different when you make it shorter than 10 days.

The crew perform differently as they are always getting new guests arriving every few days and do not get to know the guests needs and wants.

The only positive thing is that the cruise line finds it easier to fill the ships in these uncertain times.

The only up side for the guest is that the cruise is sold cheaply,not good if you want to maintain a luxury level,but something has to give if you're not filling the ships.

We'll most likely avoid these like the plague.

How? Stumblefoot's was split after he had booked it.

On our cruise SYD-HKG, there was a shorter option to get off in Darwin so we lost several and gained several but that was about 10 days into a 20 day cruise. Much different than splitting a 10 day cruise.

I'll be looking more closely at itineraries to make sure there are no easy-split points. As long as I keep booking cruise with lots of sea-days and small ports without good air connection, I should be safe.

How? Stumblefoot's was split after he had booked it.

On our cruise SYD-HKG, there was a shorter option to get off in Darwin so we lost several and gained several but that was about 10 days into a 20 day cruise. Much different than splitting a 10 day cruise.

I'll be looking more closely at itineraries to make sure there are no easy-split points. As long as I keep booking cruise with lots of sea-days and small ports without good air connection, I should be safe.

By employing the techniques you've mentioned, and also by avoiding the more port intensive European itineraries. As you've noted, the more sea days, the less scope there is for split cruises. We too had people boarding and disembarking at various Australian ports on our SIN-SYD cruise but a few here and there do not impact like a wholesale changeover.

They are desperately trying to attract a younger demographic who can only cruise for shorter periods. The big problem is that shorter summer cruises with a younger demographic bring KIDS!!!! I'll avoid them completely.

The ones I feel worst for are the crew who will have so many turnaround days.

What is more fun than standing through a SS muster for a ten day cruise?

Doing it twice. Seriously, the last couple we've attended have been just short stupid torture. And since that last muster on SS during March '12, we have participated in same drill with Crystal, Cunard and SB. None of which treated adults like children. "Stand shoulder to shoulder, get closer, closer."

What is more fun than standing through a SS muster for a ten day cruise?

On my back to back cruises, I've never been required to attend the second muster. In fact, on my last cruise, I was given a list of places I could go to avoid the crowds and warnings about the timing (because it affects room service.)

On my Spirit Transatlantic in April I've noticed that they've added two shorter cruises as part of the main cruise, (albeit the difference between the two shorter cruises is the overnight in Bermuda).

So, you can do:

Ft. Lauderdale - Lisbon

Bermuda (overnight) - Lisbon

Bermuda (no overnight) - Lisbon.

Innerestin'!!!!

On my Spirit Transatlantic in April I've noticed that they've added two shorter cruises as part of the main cruise, (albeit the difference between the two shorter cruises is the overnight in Bermuda).

So, you can do:

Ft. Lauderdale - Lisbon

Bermuda (overnight) - Lisbon

Bermuda (no overnight) - Lisbon.

Innerestin'!!!!

What! I am on this cruise. Don't want it to be shorter. Very annoying as it changes the whole feel of the cruise. Though I doubt that any people will sign up for the shorter version as most would had to fly to Bermuda, which is not that convenient.

On my back to back cruises, I've never been required to attend the second muster. In fact, on my last cruise, I was given a list of places I could go to avoid the crowds and warnings about the timing (because it affects room service.)
Good to know. Thanks CanadianKate!

Stumbling via my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I think this is an appalling decision.

Having just read on another thread that people are having dinner on SS ships in shorts nowadays, now reading this I think they're trying to compete with Carnival. A 4 day cruise is not a luxury cruise.

I believe we're at the upper end of the younger demographic SS is now trying to target, one of us is mid 40's. This doesn't appeal to us at all. The Med cruises are the easiest for us geographically but we would certainly be very reluctant to book one now. We had our eye on a 10 day Spirit cruise in early June. It looks to be a perfect candidate for splitting in this way so I will now look elsewhere.

Thanks for pointing this out, 57 varieties.

We agree, at first blush, that splitting up voyages (that we are booked on, like Cashipman and Rachel G above) are not preferable. Like other posters

we booked this voyage for the integrity of the offering (13 day crossing) not a 13 day crossing/voyage that has now evolved three different voyages (13 day, ten day, nine day voyages)

However, knowing that our Spirit spring crossing is not yet at 60% full we somewhat understand (from a revenue perspective) Silversea Corporate's desire to fill the ship. In the end, we like having the option to book a Silversea cruise vs (with continued long term SS financial difficulties (sailing just half full ships) no option of booking.

We're conflicted like other posters have intimated above and may have not booked (even with the 20% SS discount we rcvd for booking this crossing), if we had known on first booking the Spring Spirit crossing that Silversea was going to compromise our voyage integrity by offering 2/3 voyages out of our cruise. For example, we had booked Rome to Barcelona (BCN) and Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale(FLL) (Spirit's fall crossing this year), However, once we realized we did not want to sail on a seven day voyage--we canceled Rome to Barcelona, keeping our 15 day Spirit November crossing booked.

Observing this new marketing approach to fill poor selling voyages, realize SS may split this Spirit fall crossing as well (e.g. a 15 day crossing (BCN to FLL) and a ten day crossing (Funchal to FLL). Do wish Silversea when splitting voyages, would do so prior to final payment. However, a realistic SS HQ assessment of how full the SS ship will sale is probably best assessed after final payment.

On our recent Amazon cruise we were told that SS has indeed changed the muster policy and now requires that everyone attend muster on every segment. Those who were on the cruise preceding the Amazon had to attend our muster as well. Attendance is taken. If you don't attend you must ultimately sign some sort of release or be put off the ship. Unless this is changed, it will really be onerous on these cruises split into small segments.

On our recent Amazon cruise we were told that SS has indeed changed the muster policy and now requires that everyone attend muster on every segment. Those who were on the cruise preceding the Amazon had to attend our muster as well. Attendance is taken. If you don't attend you must ultimately sign some sort of release or be put off the ship. Unless this is changed, it will really be onerous on these cruises split into small segments.

This new policy appears to be pretty much industry wide following the Concordia incident. We were on a Seabourn cruise recently and 15% of the guests were on back to back cruises and absolutely were required to attend muster on the second segment. I wasn't sure if SS had implemented it although we were led to believe that it was the case.

Archived