What should I expect?

5waldos

Booked on the S. Galapagos for next spring. When I booked I was assured that the suites with the windows- no balcony but not portholes either- had a closed off walkway outside the windows. But private- not open to strollers. Now 5 months later I have discovered that this was not correct- it is an open promenade and in fact the zodiacs launch from right outside our cabin. Prices have gone up, few cabins left (best I can tell just others of the same), and I am not happy. I would have made very different decisions about the cruise- perhaps even chosing another line- if I had had the correct information.

I am waiting for a call from someone up the chain at Silversea but don't know what I should expect. Any thoughts here?

Booked on the S. Galapagos for next spring. When I booked I was assured that the suites with the windows- no balcony but not portholes either- had a closed off walkway outside the windows. But private- not open to strollers. Now 5 months later I have discovered that this was not correct- it is an open promenade and in fact the zodiacs launch from right outside our cabin. Prices have gone up, few cabins left (best I can tell just others of the same), and I am not happy. I would have made very different decisions about the cruise- perhaps even chosing another line- if I had had the correct information.

I am waiting for a call from someone up the chain at Silversea but don't know what I should expect. Any thoughts here?

Sounds like someone did not know what they were doing. Did you book directly with Silversea?

Oh, they should have know that. I can tell just by looking at the deck plan, that is open. Boy, I hope they take care of that. We went on the Century Xpedition 10 years ago, had a cabin in the very lowest deck...going Jan 2015 made sure we had a balcony this time.

It not entirely clear- at the end it appears to be completely blocked, and midship there is a door which seems to be tucked away. But whatever- I asked them to check out the situation and I was absolutely assured that it was private. Does Silversea ever offer to upgrade you (should a cabin become available) given their significant error? Or am I dreaming and should expect a gee sorry- now we all know?

We are also booked deck 3 starboard for November 2014 and specifically checked that the passage is not open. This was confirmed to us.

I fear that you were told the same incorrect information then. This really is simply wrong. My updated information comes from the Silversea Director of Expeditions who has been on the ship.

The only advantage to having a (good) travel agent in this case is that SS would have fed the agent bad information and you would have booked. Now that the real situation is discovered, you would have had a travel agent working to get resolution for you. It is easy for SS to piss off you, you are only one person. My agent represents hundreds off SS Venetians so has more clout.

(My evidence that they really do care was an email I saw sent to the head of my travel agency from their SS contact during Shadow incident. SS seemed to be placating the agency and talking about their relationship.)

They seem to be doing their best to take care of the situation, and of me. From what I can tell thus far, it seems that this was a genuine error on their part, not an attempt to fool anyone. No actual resolution as yet, but I have several people up and down the line working on it.

A good TA would not rely solely on info supplied by some phone agent. He or she has a relationship with his personal SS rep and therefore access to help with anything required. A good TA who specializes in luxury cruises probably knows more about these lines than the people working for them.

A good TA would not rely solely on info supplied by some phone agent. He or she has a relationship with his personal SS rep and therefore access to help with anything required. A good TA who specializes in luxury cruises probably knows more about these lines than the people working for them.

Absolutely Henry,very nearly as much as you do.;)

Absolutely Henry,very nearly as much as you do.;)

And this question- what about the promenades- actually went up and down the chain of command. In the end, nobody really knew so took their best (and most hopeful) guess. It was wrong. So some may have guessed, and guessed correctly, but don't think anyone knew.

• 2 weeks later...

We have heard back from our TA today and as predicted the information we were given when booking deck 3 accommodation was not correct. If you do not want a promenade outside your window 'guests ... will need to book a veranda or higher category. Not many people walk about on the deck 3 promenade.'

I am happy to stick with the suite we have booked and give Silversea the benefit of the doubt as this is a new ship to them.

Archived