Aqaba to Elait

chloe kitty

We will be on a cruise that stops in Aqaba. We have been to Petra and the Dead Sea. Does anyone know if it is possible to go from Aqaba to Eilat and back in one day?. We will have 12 hours there. We would appreciate any help.

Thank you.

We considered it one time, but the border makes life complicated. Hazy memory, and things may have changed, but Aqaba taxi drivers couldn't drive across the border - you walk across & hope there's transport there (bus? taxi?) to continue to Eilat. And the same coming back.

Add the possibility of an Israeli stamp in your passport (not stamped for cruisers into Haifa or Ashdod) which might jeopardise future middle-east travel and we decided not to bother.

BTW ship takes your passport but you can ask to "borrow" it for the sort of thing you're considering.

If you have more perseverance than me, I'd be interested in how you get on.

JB :)

We considered it one time, but the border makes life complicated. Hazy memory, and things may have changed, but Aqaba taxi drivers couldn't drive across the border - you walk across & hope there's transport there (bus? taxi?) to continue to Eilat. And the same coming back.

Add the possibility of an Israeli stamp in your passport (not stamped for cruisers into Haifa or Ashdod) which might jeopardise future middle-east travel and we decided not to bother.

BTW ship takes your passport but you can ask to "borrow" it for the sort of thing you're considering.

If you have more perseverance than me, I'd be interested in how you get on.

JB :)

Hi John,

We always obtain good info from you. Thank you. Will let you know how it went.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, it is possible. It takes some time to pass the custom, but if you do not have packages, it would be quicker. You can ask not to have a stamps on passport, it is not a problem, they will just ask the reason, but being in a cruise it is a good answer (liking cruises and so visiting a lot of countries in a single travel). In past I did Egypt to Aqaba to Petra passing via Elait.Slow, but not particularly slow.

Better not to do it with cars, so you should contact taxis to wait for you on both sides, on right time.