On which deck do we embark?

Grandma Rambo

Good day, everyone:

We've sailed over 30 times, but this is the first time on Oceania. We will be leaving on Insignia on Sept 3 out of NYC.

I have some walking and climbing difficulties. I generally get a wheelchair on embarkation/disembarkation, but use a cane around the ship. Since this ship is so small I'm thinking perhaps I could walk on. On which deck do we get on the ship and is it a long walk or steep incline?

I've tried to search for the answer, but had no luck. I would really appreciate any feedback.

Many thanks,

Jennie

DH is on oxygen, and carries his portable unit onboard (about 10 lb). He has on occasion stopped every 40- 50 steps to regain his breathing and strength. It may be steep depending on tides, etc. I would ask the O agent upon checking in for a wheelchair just in case. We have been asked if we would like one, however DH is stubborn!!!

You could try asking for more info in the "Ports of Call" section. We disembarked in Manhattan 2 years ago, but I don't remember how involved it was, plus we disembarked, which may have been a bit different from what a person experiences in embarkation. (I remember having to cross the street to get to the cab line for that, but that's all I remember.) Any info you get on Ports of Call won't necessarily be Oceania-specific, but someone might be able to give you more information as to whether there's a long, jetway type ramp like some ports, or something shorter. But of course, as already mentioned, tides and whatnot can change things a bit.

(Mura, can you help?)

I can't tell you the length or incline of the ramp just that as for the effect of tides at times relevant to boarding are predicted to be low at 9:21 am and high again 3:38 pm but only a 4 foot difference. The time you arrive will not have a big impact on the amount of slope.

Being the largest known tidal range at New York is 7.6 feet perhaps someone's experience will be close to what you can can expect (i.e ramp to deck 5) and if they too were arriving mid range. So similar, maybe even same, but hard to predict without exact facts.

dfb described on their visit it was a ramp, not stirs and this from mmssnb's link shows that. Here it is a slope down. But maybe that is mid tide and at high tide would be level, or maybe it is low tide and at high tide it would be slightly up. Or maybe ...

DSC0381-a.jpg

Bottom line is just ask the conditions when checking in and they will be happy to provide assistance with boarding if wanted. As for preparations, assume worst case and hope for the best and enjoy your cruise.

You could try asking for more info in the "Ports of Call" section. We disembarked in Manhattan 2 years ago, but I don't remember how involved it was, plus we disembarked, which may have been a bit different from what a person experiences in embarkation. (I remember having to cross the street to get to the cab line for that, but that's all I remember.) Any info you get on Ports of Call won't necessarily be Oceania-specific, but someone might be able to give you more information as to whether there's a long, jetway type ramp like some ports, or something shorter. But of course, as already mentioned, tides and whatnot can change things a bit.

(Mura, can you help?)

A little, but I think it's been covered already.

The Manhattan terminal is huge with elevators. I don't recall if we had to do some walking on ramps upon leaving the ship, maybe we did. But it's pretty easy to get downstairs. The main problem may be in going through the exit process. If you use a cane, bring it! They'll bring you to the head of the line, as airports do.

Once outside of the terminal, you may have to cross the huge 12th Avenue to get to the cab line. I'm vaguely remembering that in October 2016 they again allowed cabs to come up to "our" side of the street. If so, it's much easier.

I think if you hire a car service they can come right up to your exit point.

The problem with memory is that some time ago you never had to cross the street. The cabs came right up to the doors. Then they changed it so that you had to cross that huge street and encounter (at times) huge lines. I just tried to find my diary from the October '16 TA and suddenly it is gone! So memory doesn't help, plus October '16 is now a while back.

But the answer is that either cabs can come up to the entrance (I'm pretty sure that's what we did in 2016 but could not do in 2014 or 2015) OR you have to cross the street with your luggage and join the line.

Mura