The Retreat - how much is it being used ?

Delboy1

On our recent cruise on Encore out of curiosity I ventured out to see what the retreat had to offer. Much to my surprise no one was using any of the cabanas I would be interested to hear from other Seabourners their experience of using it. Is it the cost that puts people off or the fact it has no sea view ? Perhaps its use needs a major re think ? My suggestion is could it be for topless sun bathing ? :cool:

When we were on the Encore last September/October, we observed The Retreat was not used very much. Some friends we met on the cruise made reservations there for several days--went there for part of one day--and then cancelled their remaining reservations.

We board the Ovation on June 9th. When we get back, I'll make a report---IF we even venture up to look if it is being used. At the very least, I'll ask other passengers we meet if they are using it.

"topless bathing"

Do you know the average age of passengers or are you talking about the entertainment staff and the crew ?;p

I always go topless. My wife only occasionally

I paid for a day in the Retreat on the Encore last year, and wrote a short report of my experience on cruise critic.

Sure it was pleasant enough, but absolutely no different to any other space on the Encore in terms of service and food. The area of the Retreat has no water views and even on a relatively mild day was extremely hot, with no natural air flow. The cabanas completely circle the extremity of the space blocking views and sea breezes. We got a bottle of champagne that isn't included elsewhere on the ship, but that didn't justify the cost of entrance to the area.

We left the Retreat several times during the day to join the much more convivial atmosphere on the main pool deck, and enjoy the refreshing main pool (the Retreat spa was far too hot, even on a mild day).

There were a couple of other people in the Retreat that day, some were there free of charge due to compensation for a complaint about something, and another couple who had paid, left after a few hours.

I really did not enjoy watching other guests, who happened upon the Retreat seemingly by accident, being turned away by embarrassed staff. I felt very awkward lolling about in the huge free space, while others just wanted a quiet space to read a book and had no idea that they had tried to enter "such an exclusive area". That is NOT THE SEABOURN WAY!

All in all, I would NEVER use the Retreat again. It did not make me feel comfortable, on so many levels.

The sooner Seabourn get rid of the concept the better. Remove a few cabanas to improve the ambiance, open the area up to everyone free of charge, offer the same service, food, alcohol as available elsewhere, and I am certain it will just become another lovely space for guests to use, just like the popular Seabourn Square.

On our recent cruise on Encore out of curiosity I ventured out to see what the retreat had to offer. Much to my surprise no one was using any of the cabanas I would be interested to hear from other Seabourners their experience of using it. Is it the cost that puts people off or the fact it has no sea view ? Perhaps its use needs a major re think ? My suggestion is could it be for topless sun bathing ? :cool:

You were surprised? The whole idea is very not Seabourn plus other factors. Let me direct you to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2542467 and https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447144 which are the two longest threads I remember about it, I think they pretty well sum up the general negative feeling about the area.

I've now had three mails entreating me to book it on our upcoming cruise, so they are flogging this dead horse very hard still.

You were surprised? The whole idea is very not Seabourn plus other factors. Let me direct you to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2542467 and https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2447144 which are the two longest threads I remember about it, I think they pretty well sum up the general negative feeling about the area.

I've now had three mails entreating me to book it on our upcoming cruise, so they are flogging this dead horse very hard still.

I would tell SB you'd be happy to book the Retreat. Your charge for this is $350 per day payable to you upfront.

• 1 month later...

Looked into it at the $149 in-port rate and when discovering the no-view design said "not at any price." Considering the standard ship amenities, I, too, think this is a fail. It won't last as it's not generating any revenue for expensive space.

Just a note to say that on Ovation, the 6 side-facing cabanas now have plantation shutters that open to the sea views. So a small improvement.

I wasn't able to do more than tour The Retreat because it was SOLD OUT on the one sea day on our jam-packed seven-day Baltic itinerary. That despite the weather being rather chilly but I guess once booked, people aren't going to cancel for possible weather.

Huh, opening shutters! When I inquired about that feature to Seabourn just two weeks as a "deal-breaker," the response was "no." We would have taken a port call day at the $149 rate but declined - who wants to spend a day in port with no view of the setting? Our veranda is a better experience at no added cost. We've since decided that even with the option of views from SOME cabanas, it's not an attractive option.

Just a note to say that on Ovation, the 6 side-facing cabanas now have plantation shutters that open to the sea views. So a small improvement.

Are you sure? If so it’s a very recent change. We were on the Ovation inaugural cruise and what may look like plantation shutters was in reality timber fixed in position; these “shutters” don’t move and there was therefore no sea view possibility at all.

I wasn't able to do more than tour The Retreat because it was SOLD OUT on the one sea day on our jam-packed seven-day Baltic itinerary. That despite the weather being rather chilly but I guess once booked, people aren't going to cancel for possible weather.

It wasn’t sold out, it was booked to capacity. Seabourn is comping a lot of people to try to create interest and repeat demand. We only went because it was free... and would never pay for it. Almost everyone present said the exact same thing.

Floris

SB was pushing hard for The Retreat on our recent Ovation voyage. They were holding a special introductory reception at The Retreat at the beginning of each leg of the cruise. We didn't go. I am assuming that this is where they got most of their bookings.

Seabourn is suggesting the Retreat for my next cruise, $149 for port days and $249 for sea days. Or I can book it every day of the duration of the cruise for $1299.00 ! I'm not even sure if those prices are per suite, ie so for both of us, or per person. Anyway I'm not interested at all, it's absolutely not Seabourn to create 'classes' onboard this way.

Anyway, I do have a question about the Retreat for those who have sailed on Encore or Ovation.

Does it take up the whole top deck, or is the private section just the area shown on the deck plan? Can those of us who haven't paid to use it still use the forward area where the deck loungers are situated?

Seabourn is suggesting the Retreat for my next cruise, $149 for port days and $249 for sea days. Or I can book it every day of the duration of the cruise for $1299.00 ! I'm not even sure if those prices are per suite, ie so for both of us, or per person. Anyway I'm not interested at all, it's absolutely not Seabourn to create 'classes' onboard this way.

Anyway, I do have a question about the Retreat for those who have sailed on Encore or Ovation.

Does it take up the whole top deck, or is the private section just the area shown on the deck plan? Can those of us who haven't paid to use it still use the forward area where the deck loungers are situated?[/quote

Isklaar:

It occupies all of the top deck of the main cabin levels forward of the "saddle" in the ship's profile. I was curious about location as well, and I pulled up several videos on YouTube that answered that and other questions about the ship's features.

So us cheapskates who aren't paying for it can still access the deck chairs at the very front, as on the O class ships? Or is the whole deck out of bounds?

such a pity as it's a lovely space and I've enjoyed a couple of very interesting astronomy sessions up there on the small ships, not to mention during the day time it being a nice place to watch sail-ins etc.

So us cheapskates who aren't paying for it can still access the deck chairs at the very front, as on the O class ships? Or is the whole deck out of bounds?

such a pity as it's a lovely space and I've enjoyed a couple of very interesting astronomy sessions up there on the small ships, not to mention during the day time it being a nice place to watch sail-ins etc.

The sun terrace still exists at the front of the ship. The retreat is in the area where the putting green / golf cages are in the O class ships.

Yes, I do agree that the sun terrace still exists, but when we sailed on the Encore, we found access to it cut off by ropes surrounding the Retreat. I did not go and check to see if the same was true on our recent Ovation voyage.

Thank you 2SailingNomads and SLSD, that's exactly the information I was looking for.

Will be interested to get a current update on whether the sun terrace itself can be used by all guests. It's one of my favourite spots on the O class ships.

Simple solution:

Walk up the stairs or take the elevator by the Obs bar to get there. You are then in front of The Retreat and no ropes to worry about..

We were posting at the same time. Thanks very much for this!

Yes I've had I think 4 emails entreating me to book it, that's 3 emails more than I've had reminding me to book tours, which I still haven't gotten around to.

Earlier threads expressed the expectation that Seabourn would soon give up on the idea but in fact they've doubled down on it, pushing it pre-cruise, at the start of cruises and from the sound of it giving out free passes to drum up business.

I continue to dislike the entire concept as not the classless Seabourn we're used to and for the fact its location causes annoyance to joggers and walkers, however at this point I'm pretty sure they are going to push it until it works for them.