Ship's Scuba Diving Excursion prices...

NavyCruiser

We've been doing family scuba diving cruises out of Galveston for many years, ever since kids turned 10. We've always used private dive operators in each port for smaller / private dives group. Now that both kids are out of college & on their own, & wife is visit family in Hawaii, I'm taking my Mom on this upcoming RCL cruise.

So with just me diving on this cruise, just looked our cruise line's scuba diving excursion prices: $120 for Honduras, $170 for Costa Maya (what happened to Belize?), $110 for Cozumel. Wow, is it just me, that those prices are outrageously high...?

GAS is the primary driver in cost of dives at most locations. Dive boats use gas, so farther you have to travel on that boat, the higher the prices they must charge to make a profit. Cozumel the good reefs are all down south, so prices are higher. Plus the dive ops through the cruise ships include the gear most of the time, so that is also part of cost.

Back in 2000, land based dive ops in Coz charged $60-70pp for a 2-tank dive, gear extra. Prices have steadily gone up since then. Most dive ops now charge between $90-110, gear extra.

Many of the dive ops require you take a taxi to their boat location (Caleta) or to a pier downtown, hotel, etc for pickup. With the cruise ship dives, they are picking you up AT your ship's pier. So add that into the cost.

Comparing the costs from different cruise lines, you are paying more than I did for the same locations last year on Carnival.

May 2017.... Roatan was $99pp, Cozumel was $89pp(new dive op now charges more though).

I’m paying $75 for a 2 tank dive day on Cozumel - that’s discounted because I’m on the island for a month at a time and do many dive days. I also use my own gear and use the same op each year. Single day dives with rental gear plus a pick-up will always be the most expensive diving - wherever you are.

. . . also - Nitrox on Coz is an extra $10 a tank. Nothing beats Buddy Dive on Bonaire in that regard - air and Nitrox is same-same.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

checking current prices for my fav' shop in Key Largo

a 2 tank trip on a 6-pack, with equipment (not wetsuit) is $109 …. tanks and weight only $89

if the excursion is including any form of transportation or coordination I'd say the prices at some of the places are not out of line ….