Cape Horn Weather?

Escaper

Just finished a wonderful VO cruise to the Midnight Sun, and have tentatively booked for the new Chilean Fjords itinerary for Feb 2020.

However, received some anecdotal feedback from other passengers suggesting that the weather and sea-state going around Cape Horn can be dramatically bad at times.

Can anyone share their experiences with this issue? Thanks!

Steve

We also just finished the Into the Midnight Sun cruise and signed up for the 2020 Chilean Fjords cruise (although the January cruise). I think the weather around the Cape is predictably unpredictable, but that’s what makes it an adventure! :) Here’s a link to a few earlier posts in another forum on this subject: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134530

The truth of the matter is that the cruise ships do not usually sail the open waters that are so treacherous. They sail down to Cabo de Hornos (which is an island with) so you can see it and perhaps maybe even sail around the island, if the weather permits. To get across from one side to the other, the ships sail through the Beagle Passage, which is sheltered, past Ushuaia and some magnificent glaciers. If the captain determines that the waters are not safe, you might not get even this close or the attempt may be canceled altogether.

Cape Horn Station. This is as close as we got to the island but could not circumnavigate it (which was the goal) because of the winds . It was so windy that we were in winter coats as we sat on the balcony. This photo was taken with a telephoto lens, in truth, we could not see the station building quite this clearly:

enhance

A glacier along the Beagle Passage (not how calm the water is)

enhance

We also just finished the Into the Midnight Sun cruise and signed up for the 2020 Chilean Fjords cruise (although the January cruise). I think the weather around the Cape is predictably unpredictable, but that’s what makes it an adventure! :) Here’s a link to a few earlier posts in another forum on this subject: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2134530

January is Midnight Sun south of the equator but you won't even be close to the Antarctic Circle and might not get the same never really gets dark that we got in Norway. Check out the website timeanddate.com for sunset and sunrise and for the Day and Night World map.

It will be HOT in Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Santiago but cool on land in Ushuaia, and even cooler on the water. You are welcome to check out the pictures on my Shutterfly share site to see what we are wearing in the various places.

350px-Antarctic_circle.svg.png

From Wikipedia

Thanks for the responses. I am less concerned about air temps and more concerned about sea state. We had one roughish night going from Lofoten Norway over to Lerwick Scotland, and my wife would definitely like to avoid a protracted situation like that. One couple we spoke to said they had 4 days that were at least twice as rough as we experienced when they went around Cape Horn on a similarly sized Oceania cruise a couple years ago.

Steve

Thanks for the responses. I am less concerned about air temps and more concerned about sea state. We had one roughish night going from Lofoten Norway over to Lerwick Scotland, and my wife would definitely like to avoid a protracted situation like that. One couple we spoke to said they had 4 days that were at least twice as rough as we experienced when they went around Cape Horn on a similarly sized Oceania cruise a couple years ago.

Steve

Steve, as I said, your cruise will not be sailing on open seas as it transits from the Atlantic to the Pacific. You stop in Ushuaia and thus will be cruising the Beagle Channel to make that transit--and it is much smoother sailing on the Beagle Channel than it is the open seas. No one can predict what the seas will be like on the days you are sailing but you will be on open waters as you sail to and from the Falkland Islands. Just as you encountered rough seas as you sailed from Norway to Scotland, there is the chance that you will encounter roughs on the way to or from the Falklands.

If the seas are too rough or the wind to high in the vicinity of Cape Horn, your captain may decide to skip that (it is only a few hours diversion) and head straight into Ushuaia.

January is Midnight Sun south of the equator but you won't even be close to the Antarctic Circle and might not get the same never really gets dark that we got in Norway.

It will be HOT in Buenos Aires, Montevideo and Santiago but cool on land in Ushuaia, and even cooler on the water. You are welcome to check out the pictures on my Shutterfly share site to see what we are wearing in the various places.

I hadn’t even thought of the “southern” midnight sun aspect of the cruise, but definitely figured the weather would be widely “variable!” :) Thanks for the link to the pics. Looking forward to seeing all those penguins!

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed from BA to Valparaiso in 2010 on the very last sailing of the season-it was mid March I believe but may have been later.

I was very excited as the cruise prior to ours (I lurked on their rollcall) experiences hurricane force winds and significant waves. (per the posting the information in the tv showed winds of 75 mph and 40 foot swells as I recall.). I have always wanted to experience rough seas...alas our sailing was smooth as glass except for the night we left the Beagle Channel amen emtered the Pacific.

It was somewhat rough on the way to dinner and on our way back to the room they had seasick bags out at the stairwells. Overnight it continued and be was rough enough to open our closet doors and the drawers in the room. By morning it was all over

So whoever posted that it changes unpredictability was right.

I hadn’t even thought of the “southern” midnight sun aspect of the cruise, but definitely figured the weather would be widely “variable!” :) Thanks for the link to the pics. Looking forward to seeing all those penguins!

Its not that midnight sunny. You are still a good distance from the Antarctic Circle But at least the days will be longer than in the northern hemisphere.

To assist in providing a perspective on the length of days. The Latitude of Cape Horn is about 55 degrees S, which is about consistent with Ketchikan in Alaska. If you have cruised Alaska, this will provide a perspective on the length of the days.

Compared to Europe, it would be similar to Edinburgh & Copenhagen.

It is about 650 to 700 miles from the equivalent of the Arctic Circle

Went around the horn in early March 2017,sea was very rough on night before,woke up at 2.30 am,sliding up and down the bed, (I'm 224 ibs !!!) drawers opening and closing with a bang,cans of soda rolling about !! sorted all that, went back to sleep,woke up at 9.30 am, missed the horn lol.:D