seaweed update?

sunsetme

Just started researching CM. Had never even heard of it. Does the seaweed get bad like in Cozumel?

*~*Let's Cruise*~*

Depends on sea conditions. It depends month/year and where you went in Cozumel for us to compare on what you consider bad.

A month ago in Costa Maya, seaweed was quite bad. Next day in Coz, no seaweed at all. Mother Nature does her thing!!

BUT did you stay on the west coast of Cozumel?

I would guess if it was bad at Costa Maya it could be bad at Playa and the east coast of Cozumel.

• 4 weeks later...

We were there yesterday and it was disgusting!

We took the shuttle over to the beaches and where we were dropped off smelled so bad that my kids almost threw up.

We walked down the beach a bit past Krayzy Lobster and the smell got better but the water was murky and not enjoyable.

It's the time of year & it was really heavy at all 4 port stops last week where there was surf:

Roatan, Harvest Caye/Placencia Belize, Costa Maya, & Coz.

East side of Coz was the heaviest due to the big surf there, and the eastern winds blowing the stuff in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got an email from Maya Chan today saying Hola, Everyone. Update.

The entire Caribbean basin and Florida have been receiving tons of seagrass. I have attached a letter that explains this. We have been able to clean our beach and water, but our neighbors don't. When you arrive, you may smell an odor which caused this seagrass. We had a few guests complain and we had them head back to the ship and sent them a full refund. This is very costly for us and we would rather not have to do this. Town is much worst, so if this would be a problem, best to stay on the ship here in Costa Maya and other Ports of call.

We have a live webcam to view.

Because of this, we will have no problem refunding those that would rather not come in full. Please don't come and then want to head back. You are all welcome to contract me the morning of and I will be very honest and show photos of our conditions. You can then cancel with a full refund.

It is most important that those that come want to and not feel as if we are forcing you since you paid in full.

Thank you for your understanding and please read the attachment.

Cheers,

Mark

--

Maya Chan Beach

They attached a link that is informative. https://www.npr.org/2018/07/21/630575085/masses-of-seaweed-threaten-fisheries-and-foul-beaches

Got an email from Maya Chan today saying Hola, Everyone. Update.

The entire Caribbean basin and Florida have been receiving tons of seagrass. I have attached a letter that explains this. We have been able to clean our beach and water, but our neighbors don't. When you arrive, you may smell an odor which caused this seagrass. We had a few guests complain and we had them head back to the ship and sent them a full refund. This is very costly for us and we would rather not have to do this. Town is much worst, so if this would be a problem, best to stay on the ship here in Costa Maya and other Ports of call.

We have a live webcam to view.

Because of this, we will have no problem refunding those that would rather not come in full. Please don't come and then want to head back. You are all welcome to contract me the morning of and I will be very honest and show photos of our conditions. You can then cancel with a full refund.

It is most important that those that come want to and not feel as if we are forcing you since you paid in full.

Thank you for your understanding and please read the attachment.

Cheers,

Mark

--

Maya Chan Beach

They attached a link that is informative. https://www.npr.org/2018/07/21/630575085/masses-of-seaweed-threaten-fisheries-and-foul-beaches

Thanks for the update from Maya Chan. We were there in February when the current problem was just beginning. Maya Chan was working very hard all day long to keep the beach cleared. We sympathize with Maya Chan because we know how unpleasant it can be causing us to have to move on in 2011 (when the problem originally started) from Rasta’s, one of our favorite bars in Cozumel.

Maya Chan has always been upfront with their policies and offered us a full refund in advance, once after heavy rains and again in February due to the seaweed.

However, I am rather surprised at Mark’s letter which states “seagrass” as the problem. As far as I am aware, seagrass is an almost permanent state at Maya Chan, the current “problem” is due to seaweed, as the attached link clearly describes. Seagrass can be annoying for swimming but seaweed smell “can” be overwhelming.

Steve Uhl from Tropicante has also just posted in an email that the sea grass, saragasso, etc., is extremely bad this year. beaches along the malecon are hauling our hundreds of wheelbarrels of the stuff each day, versus a normal one or two.

He opines that the cause of this abnormal amount of seagrass is due to the discharge from rivers in South America, primarily the Amazon, which has had increased discharge has bio fuel plants in Brazil have emerged as Brazil seeks more energy independence. Plus their large hydro-electric system entails dams and such that redirect the agricultural discharge. The ocean currents carry this stuff and the current that flows past the Amazon is the same one that flows into the Caribbean.

Bar theory but makes some sense. And BTW it's affecting all beaches in the area.

From the reviews here, it does not seem to deter many from visiting the beaches. We will definitely visit one of the beaches with hopes of it not being too bad.

It was the same in the D.R. a couple of months of go but the resort staff cleaned it and the beach was wonderful.

From what I've read, it seems that it does affect all the beaches not just in Costa Maya but along the western Caribbean and Florida and Mexico. So not going to one particular resort doesn't seem to make sense, if it's at one it's at all of them. So either take your chances and pick the resort you'll like best, or stay on the ship, or take an excursion that doesn't involve the beach. For me, we're going to sit on a hopefully not too smelly beach and enjoy liquid and local refreshments and hope for the best. If it gets too bad, we'll leave but not after a few drinks and quacamole!

Was at Maya Chan July 26th. They had raked the seaweed from their beach and it was fine. The smell was strong on the ride to Maya Chan but wasn't bad at the resort. I floated in a chair the whole time. My daughter used the paddle board and ocean kayak. We had a wonderful time. I oxy cleaned our swimsuits afterwards.

We were there on 07/24 and it was pretty bad. We were told that they have never experienced it this bad and don't know why. It's throughout the whole Malecom. You can even see islands of it when sailing on the ship. Hopefully by the time you cruise it will be gone.

Most likely stupid question but I live in Europe: What is the time of year for sewaeed? We´re going to Costa Maya end of august. Will it then be worse or better?

I'm doubting it will be gone by end of August unless there's a major storm that blows through and then only maybe. Most of the stuff comes from the currents in the ocean and is fed by the runoff of rivers in South America. As long as it's flowing out of the Amazon, Orinoco, and Magdalena rivers, it will catch the current that runs through the southern Caribbean and up the coast of Central America.

However, all beach club owners are doing the best they can to keep it from piling up on their sections of the beach.