New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I'm not sure what the rules are with respect to links, so with apologies if it's verboten--it came from ***************. I'd signed up with their "ship mate" app on my phone, but I think you can do the same on their web site.

Gotcha. Thank you!

Hello all! I’ve been reading this thread for a couple of days now in preparation for my honeymoon on HAL. We are staying in VA5119. We leave Monday, 7/23, on the Oosterdam for a 12 night Mediterranean cruise. This is only my second cruise ever (first HAL) and my husband’s first. I just wanted to clarify about the on board account - will they automatically use the credit card on file to cover it do I need to go to guest services during the cruise and address how I’d like to pay? Also, we have open dining but would prefer to switch to set dining (I liked being sat with the same people every night on my last cruise and getting to know them and with the same wait staff). Has anyone been able to switch once on board? I plan to call the MDR or talk to them about reservations during the mariner’s lunch.

HAL has assigned you the cabin that you paid for. The cruise you are taking is to Canada and it is one of the most popular. It is probably fully booked and that is why you didn't receive your possible upgrade. My only suggestion is that you call HAL the week before the cruise and see if there have been any cancellations and see if you can change your cabin. Be aware that you will probably have to pay more for the upgrade. This is why we always pick out our cabin when we book rather than waiting for a cabin assignment and hoping for an upgrade. By the way, this is a wonderful cruise that you are taking. The ports are wonderful. The Veendam is a very nice ship with lots of things going on so you won't be in your cabin except to sleep.

I have three questions. First, how does HAL compare to Royal Caribbean? My wife and I are Emerald status on RC, but it seems that RC in 2018 isn't what it was, when we sailed on our first cruise in 2008. We are starting to think that we need to change cruise lines.

Second, we have a teenager who, back when he was young enough for RC's Adventure Ocean program, loved cruising. But ever since a 4-night cruise out of Miami, in which every teen program was cancelled due to lack of interest, he has resisted getting on a cruise ship. Would HAL have something for a teenager, or should we be waiting until he goes off to college?

Third, how is the quality of HAL's wi-fi, and how much does it cost. The teenager might be more willing to go, if he could stay in contact with his friends while traveling.

-

No mass-market cruise is what it was ten years ago. If they don't change with the times they'll die.

Holland America is lagging behind where they should be, and so you'll probably find that their appeal to teens has not caught up with Royal Caribbean.

When the wifi was working on our recent Holland America cruise, it was excruciatingly slow. However, I'm not sure that that's any worse than Royal Caribbean.

I have three questions. First, how does HAL compare to Royal Caribbean? My wife and I are Emerald status on RC, but it seems that RC in 2018 isn't what it was, when we sailed on our first cruise in 2008. We are starting to think that we need to change cruise lines.

Second, we have a teenager who, back when he was young enough for RC's Adventure Ocean program, loved cruising. But ever since a 4-night cruise out of Miami, in which every teen program was cancelled due to lack of interest, he has resisted getting on a cruise ship. Would HAL have something for a teenager, or should we be waiting until he goes off to college?

Third, how is the quality of HAL's wi-fi, and how much does it cost. The teenager might be more willing to go, if he could stay in contact with his friends while traveling.

-

Our cruising is driven principally by itinerary and we've found HAL to be cruising to the destinations and in the longer lengths that we desire to cruise.

The demographic on HAL seems to be older than on RCCL. On most of HAL's cruises they have a teen club, but the participation would totally depend upon the cruise. On HAL's longer cruises, generally you won't find a lot of teens. But on an Alaskan or possibly a repositioning or Caribbean cruise you would find more teens.

We've cruised a lot on HAL and in my opinion, the internet is totally substandard and expensive. We did a RCCL Caribbean cruise last year on the Harmony of the Seas and the internet was fabulous and inexpensive.

Our cruising is driven principally by itinerary and we've found HAL to be cruising to the destinations and in the longer lengths that we desire to cruise.

The demographic on HAL seems to be older than on RCCL. On most of HAL's cruises they have a teen club, but the participation would totally depend upon the cruise. On HAL's longer cruises, generally you won't find a lot of teens. But on an Alaskan or possibly a repositioning or Caribbean cruise you would find more teens.

We've cruised a lot on HAL and in my opinion, the internet is totally substandard and expensive. We did a RCCL Caribbean cruise last year on the Harmony of the Seas and the internet was fabulous and inexpensive.

My thoughts too.

-

It's difficult to find a cruise ship that has more fun, activities and entertainment when compared to Royal.

Maybe you should try Carnival. I'm sure your teen will enjoy it the most, just like mine!

I'm not saying that one is better than the other. But it's different, so you should try it for variety.

Times are changing. Internet speed is becoming a function of geography, not cruise line.

Eurodam to Alaska last May illustrated this perfectly. She was equipped with new satellite

antennae during her April drydock, and began offering inexpensive unlimited-minutes plans.

Pulling out of Seattle, Netflix worked. Once she exited Juan de Fuca Strait and turned north,

the recently completed MEO satellite constellation dropped below the southern horizon and

we were back to the internet speeds we all love to hate.

I have another question as we approach our first HAL cruise...I'm trying to get a good handle on the current features of the Future Cruise Deposit program, as well as the benefits of actually booking a future cruise while on board.

For the FCD, is there a time limit by which you must use it? Is it refundable? Do you still receive OBC for a future cruise when you ultimately use the FCD to book a specific cruise? Is there some reason you would NOT want to buy one (or more of these) while on board?

In terms of booking a specific future cruise while on board, it appears that the main benefit would be OBC, is that right?

I would very much appreciate some info on these things, as I'd like to go on our first HAL cruise prepared to either book another or at least buy the FCD. :D

Thanks!

I have another question as we approach our first HAL cruise...I'm trying to get a good handle on the current features of the Future Cruise Deposit program, as well as the benefits of actually booking a future cruise while on board.

For the FCD, is there a time limit by which you must use it? Is it refundable? Do you still receive OBC for a future cruise when you ultimately use the FCD to book a specific cruise? Is there some reason you would NOT want to buy one (or more of these) while on board?

In terms of booking a specific future cruise while on board, it appears that the main benefit would be OBC, is that right?

I would very much appreciate some info on these things, as I'd like to go on our first HAL cruise prepared to either book another or at least buy the FCD. :D

Thanks!

the FCD (future cruise deposit) can only be bought on board your cruise. There is NO reason not to buy one.

You get OBC with it depending on your cabin category, etc. And, if you book within 60 days of getting home you should get the "Welcome Back" bonus which doubles your OBC - the same as if you booked on board.

the Future Cruise deposit expires in 4 years. At the end of 4 years if not used, it is refunded to your credit card.

Oh, and before I forget, your deposit is much less too. ;)

I can think of NO reason not to buy at least one on board, if not two.

Of course you can book on board, but I never have. I've seen some FCC's (Future Cruise Consultants) give erroneous information (and some are very good of course).

I prefer to look at the itineraries when I get home, think them through and book at my leisure and use my FCD.

the FCD (future cruise deposit) can only be bought on board your cruise. There is NO reason not to buy one.

You get OBC with it depending on your cabin category, etc. And, if you book within 60 days of getting home you should get the "Welcome Back" bonus which doubles your OBC - the same as if you booked on board.

the Future Cruise deposit expires in 4 years. At the end of 4 years if not used, it is refunded to your credit card..

On Norwegian, you can buy 2 FCDs of $250 each at half price. ($250 for 2). Each FCD is refunded only within 30 days. If not used in 4 years, it expires and is NOT REFUNDED to your credit card.

So many people who can't use it have to sell it at a discount on eBay.

On Norwegian, you can buy 2 FCDs of $250 each at half price. ($250 for 2). Each FCD is refunded only within 30 days. If not used in 4 years, it expires and is NOT REFUNDED to your credit card.

So many people who can't use it have to sell it at a discount on eBay.

Since this is the HAL board, I was answering the question as it pertains to HAL. I guess we have a good deal with ours though compared to NCL. I suspect the deposit requirements are different but that is another thread somewhere else.

the Future Cruise deposit expires in 4 years. At the end of 4 years if not used, it is refunded to your credit card.

Oh, and before I forget, your deposit is much less too. ;)

I can think of NO reason not to buy at least one on board, if not two.

Of course you can book on board, but I never have. I've seen some FCC's (Future Cruise Consultants) give erroneous information (and some are very good of course).

I prefer to look at the itineraries when I get home, think them through and book at my leisure and use my FCD.

Thanks for this very helpful information. It does seem like buying at least one FCD is a wise move.

And thanks for all your help in this forum, it’s truly appreciated!

Since this is the HAL board, I was answering the question as it pertains to HAL. I guess we have a good deal with ours though compared to NCL. I suspect the deposit requirements are different but that is another thread somewhere else.
Yes, its a good deal. Even the Celebrity future cruise deposit is similar to HAL. Its gives you higher OBC and is fully refundable upto 90 days prior to sailing.

But you have to choose a particular sailing on the spot, which you can freely change, cancel or modify.

It does seem like buying at least one FCD is a wise move.

If you travel as a couple, then you want to buy two, as the FCD is per person.

If you want to use them as a cruise deposit after you get home, you will likely need to speak with your TA via phone. I haven't seen a TA website that accepts them for a deposit, as they all want a credit card deposit. Sometimes I just pay the credit card deposit and then redeem my FCD to get a small additional payment/deposit and the OBC via email later. Thus loosing out on the lower deposit benefit, but that is my choice.

As indicated, these are issued per person, so don't make the mistake I did and try to give two of the wife's FCDs to the TA and none of mine. That just makes extra work for the TA :(

If you travel as a couple, then you want to buy two, as the FCD is per person.

If you want to use them as a cruise deposit after you get home, you will likely need to speak with your TA via phone. I haven't seen a TA website that accepts them for a deposit, as they all want a credit card deposit. Sometimes I just pay the credit card deposit and then redeem my FCD to get a small additional payment/deposit and the OBC via email later. Thus loosing out on the lower deposit benefit, but that is my choice.

As indicated, these are issued per person, so don't make the mistake I did and try to give two of the wife's FCDs to the TA and none of mine. That just makes extra work for the TA :(

Thanks for that important per person info. I don't think my wife would want to be left behind!

(I don't use a TA, it just makes more work and worry for me.;p)

-

Our children were 2 of 18 on our cruise. They had a blast in the Club Hal and swimming, found some friends to hang out with. Our last cruise (without the kids) there was a group of about 20 teenagers that we saw everywhere. There aren't as many kids, but it makes it nice for us adults as well. The main difference I have seen is for the most part, children on HAL seem more respectful than other cruise lines (IMO). I even hunted down a parent to ask if a certain child was hers, she was worried about what he did and I wanted to just compliment her. I have only gotten the internet once and it was fairly priced. Usually, I would wait until port days and spend some time at a location that has free wifi.

Sorry if this tip has already been issued, but it seems to me if you want a good children/young adult program that has many kids involved, you need to sail on the very largest ships. I think this would be true with any cruise line. Happy sailing!

Sorry if this tip has already been issued, but it seems to me if you want a good children/young adult program that has many kids involved, you need to sail on the very largest ships. I think this would be true with any cruise line. Happy sailing!

I will respectfully disagree. HAL's kids programmes are some of the best kept secrets around.

A CC friend who posts on the HAL boards (but not here) who travels with her children has posted several times that her children love Club HAL. They had done other cruise lines and this for her is the best. She literally has to tear them away.

I can't comment on their teen programme based on feedback from fellow roll call members but if it is anything like their HAL Club (which it should be), it should be very good.

Teens often make their own fun as well ;).

Granted HAL doesn't have rock climbing walls, etc., but that's not the be all to end all for many ;)

I will respectfully disagree. HAL's kids programmes are some of the best kept secrets around.

A CC friend who posts on the HAL boards (but not here) who travels with her children has posted several times that her children love Club HAL. They had done other cruise lines and this for her is the best. She literally has to tear them away.

I can't comment on their teen programme based on feedback from fellow roll call members but if it is anything like their HAL Club (which it should be), it should be very good.

Teens often make their own fun as well ;).

Granted HAL doesn't have rock climbing walls, etc., but that's not the be all to end all for many ;)

I totally agree, we could not peel our kids away until it closed. They got upset if we had to check them out early. They loved the HAL staff and all of the activities they coordinated.

O, my goodness! If you reread my post, you will see that I did not say a single disparaging word about HAL's kid programs. If you want more kids in the programs, do the math. A larger population (ie, a larger ship) will mean more kids. As ckfred said, their program was canceled due to lack of interest. No cruise line is going to put much effort into a program that benefits an enrollment of say 2 kids. We found all of the above to be true every time we took our own kids with us on a voyage. Jiminy!