Could someone PLEASE post recent pics/videos on the Amsterdam

Other than the few (very nice) pics posted by Bill & MaryAnn as part of their World Cruise blog (Thank you!) there have been NO other photos or videos of Amsterdam post Drydock.

Could anyone who's been onboard since PLEASE post photos or videos of her interiors and cabins/suites (or at least a link to some). I'm very curious to see what she currently is looking like :)

Many thanks in advance!

Sometimes I feel like the S & R class ships are "ghost ships" - there are so few photos/videos of their interiors that are current. Hopefully by the end of the Alaska season this year someone will post a good visual review of the interiors of Amsterdam!

Yes I agree ... they appear to be the ugly sisters of the new fleet.

harry

Just a heads up: My sister will be on the Amsterdam to Alaska August 5-12, and will be posting photos to her blog as she goes (twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com). She'll also post a link here for those who might like to follow along. She promised to take lots of ship photos. (She would tell you that herself, but she's otherwise occupied with visiting her grandsons in Virginia at the moment.:D)

Yes I agree ... they appear to be the ugly sisters of the new fleet.

harry

Oh, no! Not by a long shot, IMO. There are those of us who prefer these "older" sisters and mourn their being sold. Unfortunately, Seattle doesn't seem to understand (or care, maybe) that so many repeat passengers love these ships, especially for their size.

This just points out the fact that more people need to take more pictures and video on their cruises. I'm one of those folks that gets cabin and balcony pictures before my tribe gets the chance to turn the space upside down. Kind of a boarding day ritual. And with at least a couple of websites out there that happily post pictures of HAL ships, current pictures make researching so much more fun. :D

Cruise Critic has so many professional photos of so many ships that I was surprised by the dearth of pics of HAL's older ships. Is that a CC decision? A HAL decision? It's very odd.

Until the last 15-18 months even the Vistas and Signature ships were grossly under-represented on the Cruise Critic photo tours. I was hopeful that with the recent renos of the R-class vessels (and all 4 of them sailing from a US/Canadian port at some point this year) that maybe, just maybe someone at Cruise critic would show them some love, along with the S Class vessels ... alas it appears not to be :(

This just points out the fact that more people need to take more pictures and video on their cruises. I'm one of those folks that gets cabin and balcony pictures before my tribe gets the chance to turn the space upside down. Kind of a boarding day ritual. And with at least a couple of websites out there that happily post pictures of HAL ships, current pictures make researching so much more fun. :D

Well, I think a lot of people would disagree with that. Scouring the internet in hopes of finding accurate, up-to-date photos is a pain. The one website that gets posted here constantly typically has poorly lit & composed photos and they load as individual pages rather than as an album you can quickly scroll through. They're often several years out of date as well. Ditto with looking for videos. People have such weird ideas about what makes a good video.

When Cruise Critic does a photo spread, they're usually well organized, professionally shot, and easily accessible.

Until the last 15-18 months even the Vistas and Signature ships were grossly under-represented on the Cruise Critic photo tours. I was hopeful that with the recent renos of the R-class vessels (and all 4 of them sailing from a US/Canadian port at some point this year) that maybe, just maybe someone at Cruise critic would show them some love, along with the S Class vessels ... alas it appears not to be :(

I guess the cruise line has to pay for them, maybe? I agree with you that it's annoying.

Well, I think a lot of people would disagree with that. Scouring the internet in hopes of finding accurate, up-to-date photos is a pain. The one website that gets posted here constantly typically has poorly lit & composed photos and they load as individual pages rather than as an album you can quickly scroll through. They're often several years out of date as well. Ditto with looking for videos. People have such weird ideas about what makes a good video.

When Cruise Critic does a photo spread, they're usually well organized, professionally shot, and easily accessible.

And few and far between and usually very selective when it comes to cabins and balconies.

So by this logic if CC doesnt do it, why bother?

I appreciate others efforts even if the pictures or videos aren't tip top professional. I have been helped by amateur pictures with questions concerning furniture configuration, plug locations, balcony depth, and closet arrangements more than once. Just today I was helped by an good but non-professional picture of a pack n play baby crib in a HAL cabin shot. Gave me a good idea of its footprint in the cabin.

So maybe I am in the minority but considering one website has over 167000 cabin pictures from 214 ships and pays for picture submissions, I'd say there are plenty of folks using that site.

Also of note some of the best photo spreads I have seen of HAL ships over the years were done by passengers, usually ship shots done on port or turn around days to minimize the human element. Not everyone is a boob with a camera and some of our CCers are quite adept. A few have even live photo blogged their journeys and taken request for questions and photos.

When I'm looking to book a cruise I look at two separate things to help decide upon a ship to sail on - 1) cabin photos that show the overall space, arrangement and types of furnishings and storage, 2) photos or videos showing the current decor and furnishings of the ship in general, including the cabins. How a cruise line keeps up with design trends, overall upkeep of furnishings, repair of the physical ship, etc is a major component for me in choosing one ship over another.

Travel by cruise ship is a very unique experience and I have had too many poor cruises party from sailing tired, poorly maintained, dated, tacky ships (yes I'm calling you out Carnival). I sailed the Ryndam a few years ago (2011) and found her a little tired feeling. Food and service wereexcellent, but she felt very 80s and past her prime, albeit she had some lovely artwork and antiques. I loved the sized and general layout but she could have used a makeover.

My hopes are that with some photographic support I will feel more affirmed in my choice of the Amsterdam for 2019. She has a singular itinerary that no other mainstream cruiseline sailing to Alaska can compete with, which is why I'm sailing her, but from pre drydock videos I've watched (filmed in 2017) she was looking a little long in the tooth and tired. Hopefully her current condition and decor are improved.

When I'm looking to book a cruise I look at two separate things to help decide upon a ship to sail on - 1) cabin photos that show the overall space, arrangement and types of furnishings and storage, 2) photos or videos showing the current decor and furnishings of the ship in general, including the cabins. How a cruise line keeps up with design trends, overall upkeep of furnishings, repair of the physical ship, etc is a major component for me in choosing one ship over another.

Travel by cruise ship is a very unique experience and I have had too many poor cruises party from sailing tired, poorly maintained, dated, tacky ships (yes I'm calling you out Carnival). I sailed the Ryndam a few years ago (2011) and found her a little tired feeling. Food and service wereexcellent, but she felt very 80s and past her prime, albeit she had some lovely artwork and antiques. I loved the sized and general layout but she could have used a makeover.

My hopes are that with some photographic support I will feel more affirmed in my choice of the Amsterdam for 2019. She has a singular itinerary that no other mainstream cruiseline sailing to Alaska can compete with, which is why I'm sailing her, but from pre drydock videos I've watched (filmed in 2017) she was looking a little long in the tooth and tired. Hopefully her current condition and decor are improved.

I get where you are coming from. Everyone has the things that make cruises a special vacation for them. Our one Carnival cruise was fun and I certainly would not give up those memories but it solidified our priorities at least for the present. For us cabin and balcony, its funishings, layout, storage, etc is king. HAL has delivered for us so far and wrapped it nicely with wonderful service and hospitality. Since we have traveled as three and now four (at least for a few years), personal space and comfort are a big deal and the relaxation equation is tops. With little ones, more cabin time is required so that is something we research a great deal.

twocruisingsisters blog is great and fun. Ill be watching along with I'm sure many others. :D

The site you mention can only publish what is sent to them. Nothing is paid to the submitters, and there is no charge to use the site. Have you submitted any pictures?

As to individual pages as opposed to albums, I don't believe anyone has ever suggested that before. Maybe it is something to consider.

Decor has never been a HAL strong suit. Is it too late to cancel? Several years ago we found the Amsterdam the most dour of her three other sisters. This was of no consequence to us because we choose HAL ships with far more considerations than decor and always have.

But since this is key to the point of sounding urgent to you, my guess is you will be in for a disappointment in this regard. Will they really take out those large walls of gray and black graphic scene tiles in the Lido? Will they really take out the massive full pike naked silver ladies in the Showroom? Will they have finally coordinated the mish-mash of color and design decor around the pool side? Will they have finally fixed the stinky scuppers on some of the verandah balcony cabins? That might be a tall order in a few recent drydocks if decor this this critical to your sense of cruise enjoyment.

Just a heads up: My sister will be on the Amsterdam to Alaska August 5-12, and will be posting photos to her blog as she goes (twocruisingsisters.wordpress.com). She'll also post a link here for those who might like to follow along. She promised to take lots of ship photos. (She would tell you that herself, but she's otherwise occupied with visiting her grandsons in Virginia at the moment.:D)

My husband and I will be traveling on the Ms Amsterdam to Alaska for the first time in August. I have been very interested in the post dry dock changes and will be looking forward to your sister’s postings!! Thanks!!

Decor has never been a HAL strong suit. Is it too late to cancel? Several years ago we found the Amsterdam the most dour of her three other sisters. This was of no consequence to us because we choose HAL ships with far more considerations than decor and always have.

But since this is key to the point of sounding urgent to you, my guess is you will be in for a disappointment in this regard. Will they really take out those large walls of gray and black graphic scene tiles in the Lido? Will they really take out the massive full pike naked silver ladies in the Showroom? Will they have finally coordinated the mish-mash of color and design decor around the pool side? Will they have finally fixed the stinky scuppers on some of the verandah balcony cabins? That might be a tall order in a few recent drydocks if decor this this critical to your sense of cruise enjoyment.

We would not be disappointed as long as our expectations are managed. We booked the 14day Alaska specifically for the itinerary. It would just be nice to know exactly what the onboard product will be. As there is no competition with HAL on this itinerary without going to Oceania and doubling our costs we really have no choice but to be happy with what we have, and find enjoyment in it.

We would not be disappointed as long as our expectations are managed. We booked the 14day Alaska specifically for the itinerary. It would just be nice to know exactly what the onboard product will be. As there is no competition with HAL on this itinerary without going to Oceania and doubling our costs we really have no choice but to be happy with what we have, and find enjoyment in it.

My feeling is the money I save not choosing a high-end decor ship (like Crystal or in your case Oceania) I can spend decorating my own home if there is that "saved" money to spend, and still have a wonderful cruise to the same places ...even if I can't stand seeing any more orange and brown.

Recently on a sister ship Zaandam to Alaska and all the new decor was really very pleasing - not a finished product yet, but HAL is definitely getting its act together decor wise compared to its recent past. Kudos for them. I can only hope they are bringing the Amsterdam up to speed too as that was our least favorite of the four similar class ships.

However, Alaska scenery overpowers everything anyway and HAL ships are always wonderful place to call home and remain the best itinerary offerings in their class. Add in the always pleasing staff and crew and one quickly ignores any decor short-fallings.

Like you say, manage your expectations, honor the price point, and the rest will fall in place. Have a wonderful cruise. How one "decorates" themselves with the right clothing combinations for the highly variable Alaska weather is the only real concern on these cruises.

In my past cruises...I've always found the Amsterdam to be a special ship. Decor and entertainment aside, the staff seems to be some of the best in the fleet. The ship always cozy, but roomy with relatively few passengers and a great passenger space ratio. I recall the first feeling I had going into a cabin, it just felt so comfortable...and I hadnt even laid on the bed yet. The Amsterdam is truly special but I can't pinpoint what makes her that way, there's just something about the whole experience that makes her a wonderful ship.