noise and strong vibration in aft cabin deck 7. Westerdam

TomBeckCruise

We were also on Deck 7 on the Westerdam in late June on an Alaskan cruise. We were in a cabin slightly forward of midship. Our cabin creaked very loudly and very often - especially noticeable at night. We have cruised on other ships many times, and this was the first time that we experienced creaking.

Yes. Its a ship. They creak, vibrate and have various other funny noises. it can be annoying, but beats staying home.

Sandra

Definitely beats staying home.

Nevertheless, our cabin on the Westerdam was, by far, the creakiest cabin that we have ever stayed in.

We were in the aft wrap on deck 7. It was our first aft cabin and we now prefer them above all others. The motion is slightly different but we quickly got used to it. We didn't have any noise that we noticed and we didn't mind the little vibration we felt at all. Cannot beat that aft view..and the huge balcony made it all worth it.

Yes. Its a ship. They creak, vibrate and have various other funny noises. it can be annoying, but beats staying home.

Sandra

Ha! I agree, there is sometimes a little noise, but it's a solid bject riding a fluid one. We were on Deck 10 aft on the Westerdam in March and I only noticed a little creaking when the seas were a lttle high. We loved the cabin so much we booked the same one in June 2019.

Booked 7041 on Westerdam. Cruise is Hong Kong to Tokyo next march.

One of the most beautiful views we've seen was the view while sailing out of Valletta at night from an aft cabin balcony. It was our friends balcony. This will be our first in 20+ cruises.

Booked 7041 on Westerdam. Cruise is Hong Kong to Tokyo next march.

One of the most beautiful views we've seen was the view while sailing out of Valletta at night from an aft cabin balcony. It was our friends balcony. This will be our first in 20+ cruises.

Is that a typo? 7041 is quite far forward and a side view cabin, not an aft cabin.

Is that a typo? 7041 is quite far forward and a side view cabin, not an aft cabin.

TomBeckCruise didn't say that it was. He said that he has 7041 booked for a future cruise, while his reference to an aft cabin was to a friend's cabin on a past cruise.

It's a ship, huge, powerful engines, sailing on an unpredictable sea. If you want absolute stillness and quiet, book a Motel 6.

We always book aft cabins. Not just cabins in the aft section, but cabins at the absolute back of the ship. Especially deck 4 on Vista class ships, because at the railing of your very deep balcony, all you see is water. Not the tops of the heads of passengers on balconies below you. Due to the tiered structure of the back of the ship, only deck 4 aft cabins are at the absolute back of the ship. Aft cabins on deck 5, 6, 7 & 8 all look down on the balconies below you. Yes, there is some motion in aft cabins, only an occasional side-to-side shimmy in high swells. But that rocks you to sleep at night. If available, aft cabins are our first choice. Never experienced any soot problems on deck 4 either.

I am sure each deck is different but we just got back and were in 8134. We were under the pool and bar so thought we may hear a bit of noise but other than an occasional scraping of chairs, it was quiet. They do hose off the deck in the very early morning hours and the portion of the balcony that is not covered will get wet. I am fairly sure yours will too as the spray shoots off of deck 9 and of course comes down. I happened to be out there one night and luckily the deck hand saw me and warned me! First time aft for me and loved it!

I am sure each deck is different but we just got back and were in 8134. We were under the pool and bar so thought we may hear a bit of noise but other than an occasional scraping of chairs, it was quiet. They do hose off the deck in the very early morning hours and the portion of the balcony that is not covered will get wet. I am fairly sure yours will too as the spray shoots off of deck 9 and of course comes down. I happened to be out there one night and luckily the deck hand saw me and warned me! First time aft for me and loved it!

Good to know. We look forward to our aft cabin.