La Champagne/Dame... what do you get for your $60?

Twigalina

I have no qualms about paying extra for Le Champagne/La Dame. All cruise lines are different, even the luxury ones, and I don't feel the luxury element has been damaged by the charge. Because of its formality and the richness/style of the food I am happy to dine there just once a cruise and still enjoy it. We are all different.

I think it's pretty simple, if this was a big issue for guests and people refused to pay them I bet SS would change their practice. obviously there are plenty of people, myself included that have no problem paying extra and so the practice continues. Supply and Demand at work!

On the Silversea website, it says the charge is $40. Why does it say $60 on this thread?

It was $60/pp on the Silver Muse for La Dame and the Japanese venue on my recent cruise. I wonder if they have reduced it to $40 or if the $60 only applies to the Muse?

I wonder if they have reduced it to $40 or if the $60 only applies to the Muse?

I was looking at 'my' ship - Silver Cloud - where La Dame is listed at $40.

When I look at La Dame for Silver Muse, it's listed at $60.

It seems there is indeed a price difference between ships.

I was looking at 'my' ship - Silver Cloud - where La Dame is listed at $40.

When I look at La Dame for Silver Muse, it's listed at $60.

It seems there is indeed a price difference between ships.

That is currently correct, but not sure how long it will last. Asked for a reason for the difference and was told it was a corporate, operations decision, nothing to do with the culinary dept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had simply assumed that the fee on the lengthened and refitted Silver Spirit would rise to match that of the Silver Muse. The title of the thread should of course have begun "Le Champagne/La Dame etc."... embarrassed that I used the wrong definite article :o

The title of the thread should of course have begun "Le Champagne/La Dame etc."... embarrassed that I used the wrong definite article :o

That's okay, you don't seem to think 'then' and 'there' are interchangeable words. ;)

Want to bet the price of the $40 restaurants will go up to $60, instead of the other way around? If anyone has a cruise booked on a ship where the 'extra charge' restaurant is still $40, I'd book the restaurant soon... before the price increases.

That's okay, you don't seem to think 'then' and 'there' are interchangeable words. ;)

Want to bet the price of the $40 restaurants will go up to $60, instead of the other way around? If anyone has a cruise booked on a ship where the 'extra charge' restaurant is still $40, I'd book the restaurant soon... before the price increases.

I doubt it would make any difference as the bill is signed for after the meal and paid for prior to disembarkation.

I agree though the renaming that's happened is a prelude to one thing...... I'm surprised its not happened yet. My next is too far out to check, though its of no real concern this time as we'd decided after the last time in March (and I didn't use on the Muse), that the food wasn't significantly different each menu I've seen to warrant the "try something new and different" feel and have always found the food elsewhere to be more than acceptable. Now if Indochine became the pay restaurant...... I'd be up for seconds each trip.

I am cruising on Silver Shadow late January. I just booked my reservations for two people and received a cost of US$120 to my account and the reservation is for La Dame. So in this case the price has increased already. That's okay, we are still looking forward to experiencing La Dame.

Julie

I am cruising on Silver Shadow late January. I just booked my reservations for two people and received a cost of US$120 to my account and the reservation is for La Dame. So in this case the price has increased already. That's okay, we are still looking forward to experiencing La Dame.

That prompted me to check mine in "my.silversea" for next March - and yup, its now showing as La Dame @ $60

This is a very recent change - it wasn't at the beginning of September when I discovered the name change - though the predicted price rise was certainly accurate!

Want to bet that before long they'll all go up to $75?

• 1 month later...

I booked La Dame reservations as soon s I could for my upcoming cruise on Silver Sopirit in 2 weeks. Two were priced at $40 and one at $60, all booked at the same time. If my TA doesn't have success reducing the $60 to $40 for the one, I'll just cancel that one, on principle. But as you can see, I don't mind the surcharge, as evidenced by my booking it 3 times. Seishin shows a surcharge of $40.

I booked La Dame reservations as soon s I could for my upcoming cruise on Silver Sopirit in 2 weeks. Two were priced at $40 and one at $60, all booked at the same time. If my TA doesn't have success reducing the $60 to $40 for the one, I'll just cancel that one, on principle. But as you can see, I don't mind the surcharge, as evidenced by my booking it 3 times. Seishin shows a surcharge of $40.

If you ask the GRM nicely when on board they will almost certainly honour the $40 price.

Looking at a dining review of Silver Wind on Cruise Critic, it is saying there are two choices in La Dame? The $200 degustation menu or a different menu and if you choose that then you pay for wine?

"If you don't want a degustation menu, you can still eat in Le Champagne -- for $30 per person. For that, you get the food, but you have to pay for any wine you drink -- and you have to pick from the expensive list. "

Do I take it that this is badly out of date?

Full review at ...

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=92&pgtype=dining

Mike

Looking at a dining review of Silver Wind on Cruise Critic, it is saying there are two choices in La Dame? The $200 degustation menu or a different menu and if you choose that then you pay for wine?

"If you don't want a degustation menu, you can still eat in Le Champagne -- for $30 per person. For that, you get the food, but you have to pay for any wine you drink -- and you have to pick from the expensive list. "

Do I take it that this is badly out of date?

Full review at ...

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=92&pgtype=dining

Mike

It's many years out of date. Cover charge has been until recently $40, but apparently increased/increasing to $60. What used to be a 6 or 7 course tasting menu is I think now down to 5 courses. All complimentary wines are now available as well.

Imo, NO luxury line should charge one penny extra for any dining venue whether it be Silversea or Crystal. If they can't find a way to accommodate everyone without an extra charge don't have the restaurant at all. It's their job to make it work, not the passenger's obligation to pay more so they can make the cruise line's life easier. The the bottom line is it's the cruise line's bottom line that is the main factor here. They make a lot more money by charging extra for what should be included.

Charging extra for speciality restaurants is the one issue stopping us from cruising with SS. I keep checking here once in a while hoping the extra charges have been discontinued. Does not look like that will be happening with the cutbacks and increasing the fee.

It's many years out of date. Cover charge has been until recently $40, but apparently increased/increasing to $60. What used to be a 6 or 7 course tasting menu is I think now down to 5 courses. All complimentary wines are now available as well.

Even 5 courses would be too much food. We could not finish the courses while on the Muse. The choices became skip courses, ask for "small portions", leave unfinished plates, gain weight after cruise or worse have a stomach ache for some people!:D

Even 5 courses would be too much food. We could not finish the courses while on the Muse. The choices became skip courses, ask for "small portions", leave unfinished plates, gain weight after cruise or worse have a stomach ache for some people!:D

Sadly the choices do not appear to be attractive @ 60 dollars per head.

It will be an experience if nothing else .... as long as it isn't too pretentious then I am sure we will cope;)

I have booked it in any case ...although it would be nice to see a sample menu.

A fiiend of mine, on reading the official description, said it sounded like the Monty Python confectionery shop sketch and to expect Crunchy Frog or Rams Bladder Cup ...:rolleyes:

That makes me feel old!

Charging extra for speciality restaurants is the one issue stopping us from cruising with SS. I keep checking here once in a while hoping the extra charges have been discontinued. Does not look like that will be happening with the cutbacks and increasing the fee.

It hasn't stopped me from booking... and I'm positive it won't go away. However, I don't think SS should be able to tout themselves as an "all-inclusive" cruise line. When you have extra charge specialty restaurants, you are by definition, not 'all-inclusive'.

It hasn't stopped me from booking... and I'm positive it won't go away. However, I don't think SS should be able to tout themselves as an "all-inclusive" cruise line. When you have extra charge specialty restaurants, you are by definition, not 'all-inclusive'.

Amen!

Amen!

Do you consider any cruise line all inclusive?

I don’t mind the up charge la champagne / La Dame, but do now think it’s excessive. It’ll still be used though, no doubt to capacity. If people passionately disagreed with the “deal breaking” charge on All Inclusive, they’d simply not sell out each night. Supply and demand.

At the end of the day, you have a choice. It would be much worse if you ended up with a bill at the end of your all inclusive cruise that should be part of your fare. Like port taxes for example.