Balcony dinner or CG

habita

I’d go to the CG once and save some money.

If I hadn’t done the UBD, then I’d probably give that a go once. UBD is nice, but I actually prefer a table for 2 in the MDR or CG than going through stacks of platters on the balcony. But we never order room service either...

Interestingly many people have worked out that they save money by taking UBD rather than CG!

I'll leave you to do the arithmetic for yourself, but I'll give you a couple of clues.

1. Do you drink wine with your meal?

2. Do you ever choose surf and turf in CG?

Not to mention the other benefits / goodies

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I'd go with the UBD over two Crown Grill dinners. I'm already planning to have our fourth UBD for my birthday in a couple of months on the Royal. One of our things is that we have traditional dining at a large table and do not like to miss dinner in the dining room more than once during a cruise.

I did both during one cruise, and while I really like the CG and usually go there at least once each cruise, the UBD is something truly special.

If you want to feel pampered, go for the UBD! It's worth every penny.

If I hadn’t done the UBD, then I’d probably give that a go once. UBD is nice, but I actually prefer a table for 2 in the MDR or CG than going through stacks of platters on the balcony. But we never order room service either...

29260069453_17803470db.jpg

IMHO, the CG pales in comparison.....:):):)

Bob

My vote is UBD. It is an experience that includes a wonderful meal, not just a meal in and of itself. I wish we could do one on our upcoming cruise, but it is a 5 nighter and we have a group of about 18 joining us for our anniversary renewal. Wouldn't be nice to hideaway on our balcony 😉 So we are hosting all of them at CG.

A question somewhat related to the OP's topic. Part of the UBD process is sending a ship's photographer to take some pictures. Have they always charged for the picture? We did the UBD on the Pacific this past May and it was the normal $25.00 for an 8x10. I did not purchase it. We did our first UBD on the Ruby in 2009 and I did get a picture. I cannot remember if I paid for it or got it for free.

Bob

A question somewhat related to the OP's topic. Part of the UBD process is sending a ship's photographer to take some pictures. Have they always charged for the picture? We did the UBD on the Pacific this past May and it was the normal $25.00 for an 8x10. I did not purchase it. We did our first UBD on the Ruby in 2009 and I did get a picture. I cannot remember if I paid for it or got it for free.

Bob

We did the UBD on our Med cruise in May 2016. Our first and loved it! We did get a picture for free and paid for another one too. Didn't realize you have to pay for your picture now.

Bob

We are most often cruising with friends and also rare that one of us has a balcony and even rarer that it would hold more than two, but for my info, do they bring those chairs? They look like suite chairs and we don't do suites. Chairs are much more comfortable in CG than standard balcony chairs and don't have to fret about the weather.

We are most often cruising with friends and also rare that one of us has a balcony and even rarer that it would hold more than two, but for my info, do they bring those chairs? They look like suite chairs and we don't do suites. Chairs are much more comfortable in CG than standard balcony chairs and don't have to fret about the weather.

We had a Dolphin deck mini-suite on the Star Princess this last cruise (smallest balcony of all) and we still did a UBD - for FOUR. It was tight but our waiter handled it with aplomb. We used the two deck chairs and the two chairs from the room. One picture for each couple was included in the price.

We had a Dolphin deck mini-suite on the Star Princess this last cruise (smallest balcony of all) and we still did a UBD - for FOUR. It was tight but our waiter handled it with aplomb. We used the two deck chairs and the two chairs from the room. One picture for each couple was included in the price.

Nice to know, but that suite setting and the chairs make it SO much better looking a proposition. Yes, chairs from the room would probably be more comfortable for dining than the deck chairs. Who knows - maybe they would bring a couple more of those if needed and avoid the deck chairs.

What would you prefer, Balcony dinner for 2, or for a little more money going to the CG two times?

UBD. Is a must if you've never done it Order what you want (extra lobster) too. Your own waiter and bus person 🌺 flowers and picture about a two hour priceless experience. Good luck 🍷

Bob

We did the UBD on Royal in September and one photo was free. The person at the Photo Gallery who showed us the photos that were taken didn't know that so had to check with someone else.

Another vote for UBD--it was great! Ours included a photo. We had a Caribe deck balcony on CB so there was a lot of space for us and the little table the servers used to stage food. It was a special night that I still remember--for DH b'day and a surprise for him :D

We have never used CG so I can't compare.

ML

Bob

Sorry for the late reply, just got off a cruise.

That does look nice. My husband and I are together 18 hours or more a day year round, and have a table for two every evening at home, so when we cruise or vacation we prefer the ambiance of our own table in a restaurant since we very rarely eat out vs the same old 2 of us in our room (sans waiters). If we had little time alone together or were having a getaway from the kids, etc. I think UBD would win hands down.

just had the UBD in my mini suite last week on regal

the math guy in me mandates i show the numbers with some estimates i believe are conservative

2 apps crab (10x 2) =20

surf and turf (est. 35 in any home restaurant) = 70

2 drinks (8x2) = 16

2 desserts (5x2) = 10

bday cake and other extra desserts =10

roses = 5

ship pic = 25

156 total

its the best filet ive ever had and was told it is the same in the steakhouse. so if 29 covers the app/steak/salad then i have to admit. id probably like 3.44 of those dinners in the future in the steakhouse

but then again. you dont have the private experience

she took a bunch of pics in the cabin and we actually did like them and downstairs we asked if there was a bundle pricing. this was never offered so make sure you ask. it was 5 pics for 90 and as you know the big pics are 25 so this is a good deal plus you get the USB

we also got coupons for shutterfly for free luggage tag, playing cards and a small photo book which we are assembling

i think everyone should try the ultimate dining once no matter what.

just had the UBD in my mini suite last week on regal

the math guy in me mandates i show the numbers with some estimates i believe are conservative

2 apps crab (10x 2) =20

surf and turf (est. 35 in any home restaurant) = 70

2 drinks (8x2) = 16

2 desserts (5x2) = 10

bday cake and other extra desserts =10

roses = 5

ship pic = 25

156 total

What about the 1/2-bottle of Champagne? That is besides the two cocktails. That would have to add another, I'm estimating, $30, or so. That Nicolas Feuillatte that they offer is, actually, pretty good.

Since I'm picking at nits, here, I, also, think your estimate on the flower arrangement is light. My recollection is that the UBD flower arrangement is the Three Red Rose Arrangement that they sell for $19.

One more thing: Making your wife feel that she is the special center of your attention -- $Priceless.

To the OP, my vote is to do both. While you're at it, also go to Sabatini's or SHARE (whichever is on your ship).

What about the 1/2-bottle of Champagne? That is besides the two cocktails. That would have to add another, I'm estimating, $30, or so. That Nicolas Feuillatte that they offer is, actually, pretty good.

Since I'm picking at nits, here, I, also, think your estimate on the flower arrangement is light. My recollection is that the UBD flower arrangement is the Three Red Rose Arrangement that they sell for $19.

One more thing: Making your wife feel that she is the special center of your attention -- $Priceless.

To the OP, my vote is to do both. While you're at it, also go to Sabatini's or SHARE (whichever is on your ship).

true on priceless