Best snorkeling options for our itiniary: Cozumel, Belize or Roatan

undrdog

Roatan will be the best due to the fact the reefs come right up to the shore. Best by boat tour but I am sure people here will tell you of shore sites.

Belize...all ships are anchored out in the harbor and tender. You will have to take a cruise excursion thru your ship or buy an independent one to get you out to the islands off shore to snorkel.

Cozumel....excellent scuba diving but not the best snorkeling due to the fact the reefs are waaaaay off shore, in deeper water. There are places you can snorkel from shore but they are limited to coral rubble, not the spectacular coral of the reefs. If you only want to do a little in shallow water, then Money Bar is great. If you want to see more than that, I would do another port.

• 3 weeks later...

The Money Bar is a cute restaurant/bar on the shore, not the sand in Cozumel. Beautiful view, haven't snorkeled there, but looked like fun.

Best snorkeling, Roatan, Coconut Tree Divers will give you options, great people!

Have both snorkeled and dove from excursions in Belize, very crowded and reef is gray. The most beautiful water in Belize is not reachable by cruise excursions.

I did the 3 Reef Snorkel on Liberty of the Seas in September. It was a lot of Fun. Close to shore so it wasn't so much spectacular coral but there was a lot of fish. They did drift snorkels in three spots in the Reserve south of the cruise port.

Snorkel at the reef right off West Bay Beach is great. I am sure there are boat tours that take you to the same reef. We actually hired a boat right off the beach. He picked us up at a small dock and took us out to the reef. It is very close to shore. The have buoys for the Snorkel boats to tie to. He tied up and then led us on a great tour of the reef. Much better than Cozumel in my opinion.

We went to Bannanarama on West Bay Beach but there is many places. They have a web site.

Sent from my iPad using Forums