New to Seabourn

ShannonSC2

There are self-serve laundries on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest but not on Encore. However I read here on CC that plans are in the works to put laundries on Ovation and maybe even retrofit Encore. I think there is a stuff-the-bag laundry deal offered but I don't know the details.

The laundry was fitted to the Encore several months ago. There are photos here ...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2521743&page=2

Yes, the stuff the bag is $50 per bag (and you can fit lots in the bag). Turn around is about 2 days.

I haven't been on the Encore but I'm sure I've read here on CC that washers have been added. As for the "stuff the bag" laundry package, the deal is all you can stuff in the bag for $50. The bag is not really small and is cloth not paper. Our first stewardess told us to stuff it to the point that it would nearly burst open. You would not believe how much you can stuff in it, for us close to three days worth of clothing. Once you have 20 + days with Seabourn one of the benefits you can select is a free bag of laundry each seven days. Over 250 points you get complimentary laundry.

Re: shore excursions, before we began sailing on Seabourn we had sailed on many Princess cruises. My impression has been that the cost of most of the Seabourn excursions is actually less than similar ones on Princess. On our Seabourn cruises we have booked a mixture of private tours and Seabourn excursions and we have so far been satisfied with the Seabourn ones we've taken.

I will give my 2 cents. I am avid oceania cruiser have done 2 Azamara cruises one seabourn and have another seabourn booked

Pluses on seabourn

Size. Smaller is better

Seabourn square. Fabulous concept

Best coffee at sea

Endless caviar

I think the food is way better on oceania. More choices as well. I do not care for the tk concept. Pretentious imo. Food is just fine but not fabulous

No butlers. Big issue for us but not for everyone. Contrary to what seabourn veterans claim, having a good room stewardess is not equivalent to having a butler

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

bitob...what is Seabourn Square? ...and DH will be happy to hear about the coffee!!! LuAnn

PS. Also - I haven’t seen any cancellations yet because of charters or because of a headoffice decision to deploy a ship elsewhere for higher profits. The only changes I have seen are related to this winter’s Caribbean itineraries because of hurricane damage - which I totally understand.

Floris

Well you know after my TWO big changes in the last 2 months with AZ that is VERY good to hear!!! LuAnn

LuAnn,

Let me add that the smallest cabins (suites) on Seabourn are larger than Azamara’s Sky Suites. Every cabin on the ship has a large bathtub and separate shower, double sink and large walk in closet.

The caviar is awesome, as is the proper French Champagne vs. Azamara’s cheap sparkling wine. The included wines are much better (and there’s much more choice) and every brand of vodka, gin, whiskey, etc. that you can think of is included - the premium brands as well. Fancy a specific cocktail? They’ll mix anything for you with your favorite brands.

The one big difference is that Seabourn still does formal nights - not necessarily my choice. That said, for men the dress code is simply “jacket required” (ties or tuxedos not necessary) so it’s easy to comply with. And there are (also superb) casual dining venues as well.

Azamara does a great job at marketing (hyping) their events such as White Night and the Azamazing Evening, but guess what, Seabourn’s are just as much fun and equally good (if not better) despite not having a catchy name.

Be warned, once you’ve cruised Seabourn, there’s no going back to your beloved Azamara, as I have experienced after 29 Azamara cruises...

Floris

WOW...I know that you have been a "main-stay" on AZ so for you to say that you must have "had your socks knocked off" for sure!! :eek: LuAnn

Thank you all for the great information! Really excited now about the prospect of giving SB a try. I've completed the "friends & family" form for the sailing we were interested in and will just have to see if it is approved! If that one isn't I'm sure something else will "come down the pike". DD is loving her new job and that in itself is a joy! LuAnn

bitob...what is Seabourn Square? ...and DH will be happy to hear about the coffee!!! LuAnn

The coffee is excellent indeed [emoji846]

Seabourn Square is the beating heart of the ship. It combines the coffee bar (with pastries, sandwiches, ice cream, etc.), 4 desks that serve as Guest Relations, a large library, a table for puzzles/games, lots of seating space, shore excursions and future cruise sales into a spacious, comfortable and light venue. It’s also attached to an aft-facing outside deck with more seating space. Ideal for meeting people, socializing with other guests and meeting the ship’s Officers.

Some newbie questions:

I received an email stating that the Oct. 30 Odyssey checkin would begin BY 1:00 since there will be a crew immigration inspection and US Coast Guard Drill due to the ship coming from Europe. I’m cruising with my 89-year old mother and she’ll want to eat lunch by 1:00. Does anyone have experience with the timing of this inspection and drill? Is 1:00 pretty accurate or do you think we could arrive around noon and have a good chance of getting on? We’ve never sailed Seabourn (Regent and HAL mostly) and this is also the first time it’s just me with mom. I’m a bit apprehensive... Is the main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day?

Also, is the muster drill outdoors? She has both a rolling walker (with seat) and a transport chair and I’ll probably put her in the transport chair so does Seabourn Odyssey have a special muster location for “handicapped” folks?

We can’t wait to try Seabourn. She loves caviar and that’s all she talks about. (I don’t care for it.) I just hope mom can handle the “late” 7PM main dining room opening time! (She doesn’t like buffets and I don’t want room service every night.)

I think it's great that you are taking your mother on a cruise. Dinner hours began at 6:45 on the Encore. We found that we arrived for our cruise at what we thought was a very early hour (12:30) thinking we would be among the first to arrive and found that there were many who had already boarded and were eating lunch on the ship.

LuAnne, good to see you on the SB boards. After cruising on all the luxury lines plus AZ, Oceania and Windstar we did our first SB cruise this August. We loved it ! You will not be disappointed. We found the dress to be very casual on board. We were 2 weeks in Alaska so that might be why. I wore a dress every night for dinner but did not see many dresses except for formal night.

I still think that Oceania has the best dining. Their 4 specialty restaurants on the Riviera and Marina are complimentary. We also found the café (buffet ) and MDR to be smashing.

Enjoy, Heather

Some newbie questions:

I received an email stating that the Oct. 30 Odyssey checkin would begin BY 1:00 since there will be a crew immigration inspection and US Coast Guard Drill due to the ship coming from Europe. I’m cruising with my 89-year old mother and she’ll want to eat lunch by 1:00.

We are just off the Sojourn, sister ship to the Odyssey. We arrived at the check in about 11:30, there was a shore side computer problem and check in was delayed about an hour. There was a place to sit, but there was a delay. The main dinning room was not open. The Colonnade and the Pool grill were open. You will be able to get in your suite at 2.

Does anyone have experience with the timing of this inspection and drill? Is 1:00 pretty accurate or do you think we could arrive around noon and have a good chance of getting on? We’ve never sailed Seabourn (Regent and HAL mostly) and this is also the first time it’s just me with mom. I’m a bit apprehensive...

With a crew immigration inspection and a US Coast Guard Drill because of the ship arriving from Europe, it may well be delay check in until 1pm. Seabourn does not want unhappy passengers. That activity has delayed check in in the past on other ships. If eating by 1 is important you might want to have something before going to the port and then have dessert in the Colonnade while you wait for the cabin to be ready. Once our check in started it did go fast.

Is the main dining room open for lunch on embarkation day?

No, only the Colonnade and the Pool Deck Grill

Also, is the muster drill outdoors? She has both a rolling walker (with seat) and a transport chair and I’ll probably put her in the transport chair so does Seabourn Odyssey have a special muster location for “handicapped” folks?

You will muster in the Main Dinning room. Use the transport chair, it will be easier for her and you probably. I have mobility issues also. They will take you to Deck 4 (MDR deck) on one of the elevators. Plenty of crew are standing around to help.

We can’t wait to try Seabourn. She loves caviar and that’s all she talks about. (I don’t care for it.) I just hope mom can handle the “late” 7PM main dining room opening time! (She doesn’t like buffets and I don’t want room service every night.)

Have a late afternoon snack in Seabourn Square to tired you over. It is open until 6 with finger sandwiches and sweets along with tea coffee and soft drinks. Or order a cheese tray or caviar from room service, or go to the Observation Lounge for cocktails and ask for nuts or chips. They also will be serving small plates of nibbles. I did see some people with plates of caviar.

Have a great cruise, you will love Seabourn. We sail with Regent and HAL also, but think Seabourn is the best.

Shannon, with regards to the Marina Day, whilst you don't have to ' book', you do have to register for insurance purposes so it is worth going earlier to register and get your wrist band - we have been disappointed a couple of times when we haven't registered early enough

Thanks for all the pertinent information. I am also a newbie anticipating trying out Seabourn Ovation in May. I have a question about booking shore excursions online. If I have a change of mind prior to the cancellation deadline, will the amount credit back to my credit card account or will it be considered as shipboard credit for future use ? Thanks.

Edited by SwankPooch

The coffee is excellent indeed [emoji846]

Seabourn Square is the beating heart of the ship. It combines the coffee bar (with pastries, sandwiches, ice cream, etc.), 4 desks that serve as Guest Relations, a large library, a table for puzzles/games, lots of seating space, shore excursions and future cruise sales into a spacious, comfortable and light venue. It’s also attached to an aft-facing outside deck with more seating space. Ideal for meeting people, socializing with other guests and meeting the ship’s Officers.

Sounds like a very inviting area and one we'd spend time in...especially the coffee bar!! LuAnn

LuAnne, good to see you on the SB boards. After cruising on all the luxury lines plus AZ, Oceania and Windstar we did our first SB cruise this August. We loved it ! You will not be disappointed. We found the dress to be very casual on board. We were 2 weeks in Alaska so that might be why. I wore a dress every night for dinner but did not see many dresses except for formal night.

I still think that Oceania has the best dining. Their 4 specialty restaurants on the Riviera and Marina are complimentary. We also found the café (buffet ) and MDR to be smashing.

Enjoy, Heather

Thank you for the welcome! We too love O and are looking forward to the fall T/A next year on Riviera...Kenneth loves the crab legs in the buffet!! We join AZ Quest 11/4 and are excited to meet up with some old friends!! LuAnn

Thanks for all the pertinent information. I am also a newbie anticipating trying out Seabourn Ovation in May. I have a question about booking shore excursions online. If I have a change of mind prior to the cancellation deadline, will the amount credit back to my credit card account or will it be considered as shipboard credit for future use ? Thanks.

SwankPooch,

yes, you can go to the Square and ask them to cancel and re-credit your card. We request this every time even when we do not cancel an excursion in order to use up any on-board-credit (i.e. they cancel and rebook your on-line excursions and credit your card, while debiting your on-board account). You can check your account on the TV screen in your cabin and will see all the credits and debits also on your final statement.

I have problem understanding referral credits in that there are 2900 posts on that thread. Don't have time to read them all. But what I THINK I understand is this. You get referral credit coupons for a past cruiser. Then you make final payment on your first booked cruise. Then you send the vouchers to your TA which results in a $400 ship's credit for the new Seabourn cruiser on that cruise. If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Thanks

Okay so here is how it works:

Let’s say you have sailed Seabourn at least once. You contact the Seabourn Club and they send you a pack of (usually four) referral vouchers.

When you hear about someone sailing SB for the first time, as long as their cruise is before or concurrent with your next Seabourn cruise you can give them one of your vouchers. Seabourn prefers it be sent when the next guest makes final payment but I know it can be done, if necessary, as late as a few weeks prior to the dial date.

You can either physically send the voucher to the newbie where upon they will complete the form with their cruise info and mail it directly to Seabourn or you can get the info from the newbie, complete the voucher and mail it yourself to Seabourn. Now the newbie gets $400 OBC and you get $400 OBC for referring them.

You should know that the voucher specifically states that this $400 on board credit cannot be used by either of you if you are already getting some OBC from Seabourn (be aware that sometimes what you think is an OBC gift from your TA is really coming from Seabourn so it is best to check). It can be combined with OBC you receive as a result of owning 100 shares of Carnival stock.

If you don’t have a Seabourn cruise booked but still want to refer a newbie you can send in the voucher and once the newbie has sailed Seabourn will send you a confirmed voucher good for two years. When you later book a cruise just send that in with your final payment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks to all for answering my prior questions. One more: On my last Regent (or Viking?) cruise we were told that the luggage handler tips at the embarkation port were taken care of. I’ll be embarking in Miami with two suitcases. If I was cruising with Celebrity I would hand $5 to the dock porter along with my luggage. What is the “norm” for Seabourn in Miami?