New to Seabourn

ShannonSC2

Hello! My husband and I are taking our first Seaboard cruise in 4 weeks. We will be on the Odyssey. I have several questions.

1. Does each cabin have shampoo and body wash in the showers?

2. What is the dress code like at night?

3. Is there a formal night? If so how formal?

4. What type of entertainment is available at night?

5. We have a marine day. Do we have to book in advance?

I am sure I will have more questions as time gets closer. We are excited!

TIA!!

Every suite will have shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash. When you meet your stewardess she will offer you a selection of special soaps.

Read the dress code in your documents. It is now pretty straightforward. Jeans are not allowed at night in the Restaurant -- you can wear them in the other dining venues in all but formal nights. Men must wear collared shirts. No bathing suits and cover ups or exercise gear in the lounges or dining venues day or night (except the Patio Grill). There will be one formal night on average per seven day cruise. Men must wear a jacket -- no tie required though you you will see many men in suits and tuxedos -- percentage varies from cruise to cruise. Women wear a wide variety of clothes on formal nights --- you will see everything from long gowns to basic dresses but I would say most wear dressy cocktail dresses. Frankly it is all pretty common sense and straight forward. Nothing to stress about.

Nightly entertainment includes a band in the Club, a guitarist or pianist in the Observation Bar, and there will usually be a show in the Show Lounge with staff entertainers and guest artists (comedians, entertainers, and musicians).

In my experience (having taken many Med cruises) , the Marina Day is often cancelled in the Med due to sea conditions so don't get your hopes up. But if it is held they will open the back of the ship and pull out the sea toys -- banana boat, waterskiing etc. Fingers crossed yours goes as scheduled but no -- no reservations necessary.

Congrats on your first SB cruise. We will be on the Odyssey June 4 for two weeks and will try to leave some champagne for you.

The soaps and lotions are all Molton Brown, very nice. If you do not want to take part in formal night, you can eat at the patio, or room service is always nice once a trip. Your going to be spoiled with this trip, you'll will never want to go on another line. I'm just back from our 3rd. There was a couple there celebrating 300 days sailing!

Hello! My husband and I are taking our first Seaboard cruise in 4 weeks.

And if you have not yet picked up a referral voucher giving you $400 on board credit as a first time sailor check the "sticky" thread at the top of this section and get in touch - do it quickly!

catskier

Seabourn's beloved Eric & Jean Cass have more sea days (uk) than any other passengers. David E THE MOST DAYS ~~surely wish I had been aboard with you....I have many more days than 300~~I would have won a "Tiffany letter opener!!" Ha ha

HAPPY SAILS

Martita B

catskier

Seabourn's beloved Eric & Jean Cass have more sea days (uk) than any other passengers. David E THE MOST DAYS ~~surely wish I had been aboard with you....I have many more days than 300~~I would have won a "Tiffany letter opener!!" Ha ha

HAPPY SAILS

Martita B

Martita, Eric and Jean are some of the most interesting people you could ever hope to meet, we are so glad to know them and count them as friends. And while I like most of the Seabourn CDs, there is not IMO a better CD than David E.

• 1 year later...
Every suite will have shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body wash. When you meet your stewardess she will offer you a selection of special soaps.

The designer soap tray presentation by our room stew upon embarkation has always been one of my favorite little Seabourn moments. However, friends currently on Sojourn (they boarded in LA last week) reported that this feature has just been eliminated. :( They made it sound like it wasn't due to a temporary inventory issue, saying it's "a new policy starting this voyage, no more designer soap."

Can anyone currently on another ship confirm whether this is true? Hope not...

Our room attendant said they hadn’t gotten the soaps by afternoon when we embarked. We left port several hours late due to a provisions delivery issue.

We asked for our favorite soap (the scrubby green herb one) and it was in the room for us at turndown. I’ll have to ask for the L’Occitane and see what happens.

She did bring champagne and canapés as an icebreaker, but I guess that’s normal, too.

The designer soap tray presentation by our room stew upon embarkation has always been one of my favorite little Seabourn moments. However, friends currently on Sojourn (they boarded in LA last week) reported that this feature has just been eliminated. :( They made it sound like it wasn't due to a temporary inventory issue, saying it's "a new policy starting this voyage, no more designer soap."

Our room attendant said they hadn’t gotten the soaps by afternoon when we embarked. We left port several hours late due to a provisions delivery issue.

We asked for our favorite soap (the scrubby green herb one) and it was in the room for us at turndown. I’ll have to ask for the L’Occitane and see what happens...

Which ship and when was this?

Another "Newbie" here!

Our DD has worked on board Princess ships for the last 7 years and has just transitioned to a land based position as a Biz Dev. Mgr. for Seabourn and HAL in LA. While we have sailed quite a few lines we have not been on SB before...and we are hoping with the "friends and family" offerings she now has available we may be able to give SB a try. It sounds like in reading the various CC boards that SB is certainly a "luxury" line ...I would guess the closest we have come in the past is Oceania and Azamara. Can you tell me more about SB ...I did have a friend tell me caviar was available on request!...now that "perked" my ears up!!! Will I be spoiled forever? :hearteyes: LuAnn

Everything was normal on Odyssey last month. Our stewardess presented the tray of designer soaps and we chose L'Occitane for me and loofah Essence for DH. Making a selection seemed rather pointless since she left the rest for us anyway! She was also generous in replenishing them well before needed. But no stewardess gift on our last night. I think that's gone.

... It sounds like in reading the various CC boards that SB is certainly a "luxury" line ...I would guess the closest we have come in the past is Oceania and Azamara. Can you tell me more about SB ...I did have a friend tell me caviar was available on request!...now that "perked" my ears up!!! Will I be spoiled forever? :hearteyes: LuAnn
Hi LuAnn, I'll attempt a reply.

Seabourn provides a more upmarket and luxurious experience than either Oceania or Azamara. The ships are small and elegant with lovely public rooms and suites that are beautifully appointed. Think of it as a smaller version of Marina or Riviera with a little more refinement. Much like Azamara, there is a welcoming atmosphere on Seabourn with officers, staff and crew very accessible. Folks genuinely want you to have the best cruise possible and will go out of their way to make it so. Service is polished and professional, yet not stiff or stuffy.

Seabourn gets the nod for better dining, even compared to Oceania, the so-called foodies cruiseline. They have more interesting menus, better quality ingredients and overall superior choices in the main restaurant and specialties. But I gotta say that Oceania wins for their cheese selection in Jacques. Nothing compares to it on Seabourn. And truth be told, I miss Red Ginger. Complimentary wines are superior to those on Azamara or available on Oceania in their basic package. There is a daily suggested white and red but many others are available for the asking. Evening entertainment is low-key on Seabourn, much like Azamara or Oceania. And then there's caviar! If caviar is your thing, look to pay a hefty surcharge on Azamara or Oceania for what is freely available on Seabourn. They even have signature events focused on caviar, such as Caviar in the Pool, Caviar in the Surf or Caviar on Deck. All great fun.

Bottom line, if you like Oceania and Azamara, I think you'd love Seabourn.

Hi LuAnn, I'll attempt a reply.

Seabourn provides a more upmarket and luxurious experience than either Oceania or Azamara. The ships are small and elegant with lovely public rooms and suites that are beautifully appointed. Think of it as a smaller version of Marina or Riviera with a little more refinement. Much like Azamara, there is a welcoming atmosphere on Seabourn with officers, staff and crew very accessible. Folks genuinely want you to have the best cruise possible and will go out of their way to make it so. Service is polished and professional, yet not stiff or stuffy.

Seabourn gets the nod for better dining, even compared to Oceania, the so-called foodies cruiseline. They have more interesting menus, better quality ingredients and overall superior choices in the main restaurant and specialties. But I gotta say that Oceania wins for their cheese selection in Jacques. Nothing compares to it on Seabourn. And truth be told, I miss Red Ginger. Complimentary wines are superior to those on Azamara or available on Oceania in their basic package. There is a daily suggested white and red but many others are available for the asking. Evening entertainment is low-key on Seabourn, much like Azamara or Oceania. And then there's caviar! If caviar is your thing, look to pay a hefty surcharge on Azamara or Oceania for what is freely available on Seabourn. They even have signature events focused on caviar, such as Caviar in the Pool, Caviar in the Surf or Caviar on Deck. All great fun.

Bottom line, if you like Oceania and Azamara, I think you'd love Seabourn.

Wonderful!!...Thank you so much for taking the time & effort to give me such a through explaination!! You've "painted" a very complete picture!! I do LOVE caviar and DD told me last night on the phone about the Caviar in the Surf!...I have seen those pictures but didn't realize it was SB!! What about the dress code? Is it true that DH will need to wear a jacket most nights? He's not used to wearing one as often now with AZ & O....but he'll conform if needed!! ;p LuAnn

I will give my 2 cents. I am avid oceania cruiser have done 2 Azamara cruises one seabourn and have another seabourn booked

Pluses on seabourn

Size. Smaller is better

Seabourn square. Fabulous concept

Best coffee at sea

Endless caviar

I think the food is way better on oceania. More choices as well. I do not care for the tk concept. Pretentious imo. Food is just fine but not fabulous

No butlers. Big issue for us but not for everyone. Contrary to what seabourn veterans claim, having a good room stewardess is not equivalent to having a butler

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What about the dress code? Is it true that DH will need to wear a jacket most nights? He's not used to wearing one as often now with AZ & O....but he'll conform if needed!! ;p LuAnn

There is approximately one "formal" night per week in the Restaurant. Jackets are not required on other nights or in the Colonnade or Patio Grill. Have not yet sailed on a ship with the TK Grill, but do not believe jackets are required there.

Wonderful!!...Thank you so much for taking the time & effort to give me such a through explaination!! You've "painted" a very complete picture!! I do LOVE caviar and DD told me last night on the phone about the Caviar in the Surf!...I have seen those pictures but didn't realize it was SB!! What about the dress code? Is it true that DH will need to wear a jacket most nights? He's not used to wearing one as often now with AZ & O....but he'll conform if needed!! ;p LuAnn

LuAnn,

Let me add that the smallest cabins (suites) on Seabourn are larger than Azamara’s Sky Suites. Every cabin on the ship has a large bathtub and separate shower, double sink and large walk in closet.

The caviar is awesome, as is the proper French Champagne vs. Azamara’s cheap sparkling wine. The included wines are much better (and there’s much more choice) and every brand of vodka, gin, whiskey, etc. that you can think of is included - the premium brands as well. Fancy a specific cocktail? They’ll mix anything for you with your favorite brands.

The one big difference is that Seabourn still does formal nights - not necessarily my choice. That said, for men the dress code is simply “jacket required” (ties or tuxedos not necessary) so it’s easy to comply with. And there are (also superb) casual dining venues as well.

Azamara does a great job at marketing (hyping) their events such as White Night and the Azamazing Evening, but guess what, Seabourn’s are just as much fun and equally good (if not better) despite not having a catchy name.

Be warned, once you’ve cruised Seabourn, there’s no going back to your beloved Azamara, as I have experienced after 29 Azamara cruises...

Floris

PS. Also - I haven’t seen any cancellations yet because of charters or because of a headoffice decision to deploy a ship elsewhere for higher profits. The only changes I have seen are related to this winter’s Caribbean itineraries because of hurricane damage - which I totally understand.

Floris

...What about the dress code? Is it true that DH will need to wear a jacket most nights? He's not used to wearing one as often now with AZ & O....but he'll conform if needed!!
LuAnn, no need to stress about the dress code. Most nites in the Restaurant are elegant casual with dress being similar to what you'd find at the Captain's Welcome on Oceania or Azamara. Smart and stylish. The more casual Colonnade and Patio Grill have an even more relaxed code every evening, where shorts and jeans are not uncommon. Formal nites in the Restaurant are infrequent (once/7 days) and it's easy to dress appropriately. Women wear fancy cocktail dresses or sparkly tops/pants and men must wear a jacket. It doesn't have to be a tux or a suit and we've seen some very creative interpretations of formal attire! It's BTO not black tie required although some folks do choose to glam it up. Of course, you can skip formal completely by dining at a venue other than the Restaurant or stay in suite for course-by-course room service.

Another nice touch with Seabourn is that your suite will be stocked with (2) alcoholic beverages of your choice, which you select before you sail from on online list. If your preferred tipple is not on the list, you can request it through Seabourn Club. As long as you give sufficient notice before boarding, they will source it for you and advise if it's complimentary or not. I've done this a few times and my selection was always complimentary.

We too are considering giving Seabourn a try. In the past two decades, our most frequently cruised line has been Regent. We get a brochure from them almost daily. But their prices are getting out of hand. Recently, we've been getting Seabourn brochures from our TA, and their prices seem more in line. I know Seabourn doesn't include air and Regent does, but air within North America is economy, which we don't want, and the routing on some of their intercontinental flights is indirect with too many changes. So we usually end up buying our own air and getting a skimpy credit from Regent.

I went on Seabourn's web site and got all the info I could find. Some of my questions weren't answered, so here goes,

I assume all beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are included in all lounges and restaurants, but couldn't find confirmation on the site. Is this the case?

What is the situation for laundry on Seabourn? Are there self service washing machines? Does Seabourn offer a "laundry package"?

I assume tips are included, but couldn't confirm. Is this the case?

I also assume that shore excursions ARE NOT included in the fare are they are on Regent (though the ones on Regent certainly are not the best) So I would like a rough idea of the price range of these on Seabourn.

Thanks!

I assume all beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are included in all lounges and restaurants, but couldn't find confirmation on the site. Is this the case?
Yes. There are also premium wines and spirits that are extra pay if you prefer something "special".

What is the situation for laundry on Seabourn? Are there self service washing machines? Does Seabourn offer a "laundry package"?
There are self-serve laundries on Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest but not on Encore. However I read here on CC that plans are in the works to put laundries on Ovation and maybe even retrofit Encore. I think there is a stuff-the-bag laundry deal offered but I don't know the details.

I assume tips are included, but couldn't confirm. Is this the case?
Yes. Gratuities are neither required nor expected. It's been discussed on CC that if guests wish to tip, leaving a donation to the Crew Fund is the way to go.

I also assume that shore excursions ARE NOT included in the fare are they are on Regent (though the ones on Regent certainly are not the best) So I would like a rough idea of the price range of these on Seabourn.
Shorex are not included. Prices are very competitive and reasonable compared to Oceania or Regent!