Key West

pearose

Has anyone had ANY news at all from anyone in Key West? It's so scary that they just went silent and there have been no updates that I have been able to find since Irma passed over.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Has anyone had ANY news at all from anyone in Key West? It's so scary that they just went silent and there have been no updates that I have been able to find since Irma passed over.

Only thing I've seen is on the news this morning is about a convoy of army vehicles heading down with supplies and for damage assessment .

Saw maybe a 1 minute video with boats in streets and limbs down.

This reminds me when astronauts on lunar missions orbits first entered the dark side of the moon and went silent.....and the huge sigh of relief when they re-emerged and resumed communications.

Hopefully Conch Nation stalwarts will be alright and can resume their lives with minimal impact.

I'll add to the rumor mill here. It seems Key West is relatively OK. The middle and upper keys were hit harder. http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article172503266.html

That's what I've been reading as well. Obviously, the route to get to KW is going to be difficult as it's 1 highway to get there basically. Of course, they can fly planes in too, and I did hear the airport damage was minimal, mostly water related. Our relatives live on Summerland Key during the winter, they rent a house there, and they already said from what they know, they most likely won't be going down there this winter. My parents stay in a condo every November and the owner isn't there right now (he was out of the country for the past month), so they don't know what their situation will be yet either.

It's definitely a difficult recovery and repair effort. My friend who works with emergency management in Colorado said their team had to be shifted from going to the Keys, and were sent to Miami. They said it would take too long to even get them to the Keys. :(

Lots of damage.

I think that Key West fared better than most of the Keys. We own a house down there (but don't live in it yet) and heard from our tenant today that it's mainly fine - just lost a few roof shingles and shrubs. Similar with our friend who lives a few blocks away. Our places are in New Town, closer to the entrance to KW from the mainland. Based on pix and videos I've seen on TV and internet, some places must have flood damage, but all appear to be standing. I got the following link from my friend. It's hard to tell exactly what you're looking at, unless you know the area well, and I wish it zoomed in just a bit more, but that's being greedy. Unfortunately, it appears to me that one neighbor's house is missing part of the roof, so I hope I'm not seeing it correctly.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/

I think that Key West fared better than most of the Keys. We own a house down there (but don't live in it yet) and heard from our tenant today that it's mainly fine - just lost a few roof shingles and shrubs. Similar with our friend who lives a few blocks away. Our places are in New Town, closer to the entrance to KW from the mainland. Based on pix and videos I've seen on TV and internet, some places must have flood damage, but all appear to be standing. I got the following link from my friend. It's hard to tell exactly what you're looking at, unless you know the area well, and I wish it zoomed in just a bit more, but that's being greedy. Unfortunately, it appears to me that one neighbor's house is missing part of the roof, so I hope I'm not seeing it correctly.

https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/

Their structures may be in better shape, but as of the article I posted earlier today, Key West (like all the lower keys) had no power, no water, no sewer, no cellular service, limited supplies, and no road access. The military has brought in MULTIPLE support vessels including an aircraft carrier, that's how bad things are.

EDIT: interesting, the article I linked to upthread is significantly changed from earlier. Sorry, apparently an unreliable source, so in absence of info I'm going to shut up.

Their structures may be in better shape, but as of the article I posted earlier today, Key West (like all the lower keys) had no power, no water, no sewer, no cellular service, limited supplies, and no road access. The military has brought in MULTIPLE support vessels including an aircraft carrier, that's how bad things are.

EDIT: interesting, the article I linked to upthread is significantly changed from earlier. Sorry, apparently an unreliable source, so in absence of info I'm going to shut up.

I think your source was the local newspaper, which was probably reliable, but got updated late today to match the current state of relief efforts. It sounds from the latest info in the link that there are absolutely places with some damage, and Old Town was hit worse than New Town. It also does seem to be the case that all of those services you mention are still out, but at least some supplies are coming in.

I didn't intend to minimize the current situation, which has to be extremely uncomfortable in so many ways, and I definitely feel terrible for those with significant damage. I'm fessing up that I've been obsessed with Irma's destruction starting with the Virgin Islands, and seen pix of so many destroyed buildings, including recent footage on TV of totally destroyed trailers in the upper Keys, so a standing structure seems like a good thing in comparison to that.