Soda and More Package Heads Up

ceilidh1

On the Ruby right now and apparently the soda and more package no longer includes shakes. It was certainly included when I purchased in in my personalized and we used it on Emerald last week for shakes. Not sure they can simply change something I already paid for and will take it up with princess once we get home. Anyone else had this experience?

On the Ruby right now and apparently the soda and more package no longer includes shakes. It was certainly included when I purchased in in my personalized and we used it on Emerald last week for shakes. Not sure they can simply change something I already paid for and will take it up with princess once we get home. Anyone else had this experience?

I would take it up with them BEFORE you get home. Start complaining early and you may get the shakes included. Wait till you're home and the most you'd get is a paltry refund or a "gee, we're sorry that happened".

Not sure they can simply change something I already paid for

I agree with you 100% but you will have a hard time making your argument.

The official description of the Soda and More package:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/ (scroll to 'beverage package options')

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & More Package, entitling you to unlimited fountain soft drinks, plus mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise.

...has not contained any reference to Milk Shakes for going on three years now. Presumably it was removed due to Royal and Regal not offering shakes at all. But up until this point the large majority of reports have been that shakes were included on ships that offer them. Unfortunately excluding them does not violate the terms of the package. Unless you took a screenshot from your personalizer and milk shakes were explicitly mentioned I fear your complaints will fall on deaf ears.

I would take it up with them BEFORE you get home. Start complaining early and you may get the shakes included. Wait till you're home and the most you'd get is a paltry refund or a "gee, we're sorry that happened".

I tried. Passenger services didn't want to know. Told me to call princess.

I agree with you 100% but you will have a hard time making your argument.

The official description of the Soda and More package:

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/beverages/ (scroll to 'beverage package options')

...has not contained any reference to Milk Shakes for going on three years now. Presumably it was removed due to Royal and Regal not offering shakes at all. But up until this point the large majority of reports have been that shakes were included on ships that offer them. Unfortunately excluding them does not violate the terms of the package. Unless you took a screenshot from your personalizer and milk shakes were explicitly mentioned I fear your complaints will fall on deaf ears.

I've been buying the package on every cruise and it has always said it included shakes. I think the new terms came out with the new alcohol package. I likely do have the original somewhere and will dig it out!

This was from back in 2015. Definitely included shakes at that time.

--------------------------------------------

Unlimited Soda & More Package

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #2312 - $8.05 per person/per day

This was from back in 2015. Definitely included shakes at that time.

--------------------------------------------

Unlimited Soda & More Package

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, shakes, floats, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Item #2312 - $8.05 per person/per day

Yup. I added it in my personal user in may and it included it so basically they changed something I already bought!!

Yup. I added it in my personal user in may and it included it so basically they changed something I already bought!!

Talk with the folks who purchased the AIBP that is now the Premier Beverage Package. No more canned soda. No more large bottles of water. Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day (plenty in my opinion but...), 40% discount on bottles of wine $100 or less is now 25% on all wine. Many people are extremely unhappy that the package they purchased is now very different than it was when they paid their money.

There is a program where you can submit a complaint on a card and drop in in a box and it is supposed to go to the appropriate onboard Princess official to answer. Guest Relations knows and has the cards. The drop box is near Guest Relations. I did this when the Coffee Bar insisted on punching my coffee card (new-purchased on the ship) for a hot chocolate. The food and beverage mgr responded with an apology, a new coffee card and a statement they were retraining the bar staff at this bar.

Talk with the folks who purchased the AIBP that is now the Premier Beverage Package. No more canned soda. No more large bottles of water. Limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day (plenty in my opinion but...), 40% discount on bottles of wine $100 or less is now 25% on all wine. Many people are extremely unhappy that the package they purchased is now very different than it was when they paid their money.

Yes they should at least honour what has already been purchased and communicate the change for future purchases. In my case, the package is now useless as my kids do not drink soda or juice and use it only for shakes. We don't even use the $10 or so per day but since the kids don't have charging privileges the sticker means they can go get their own shakes. Very frustrating!

Well, if you don't make a complaint onboard, you will be left only with trying to deal with Princess after the cruise--not very satisfying.

Since the kids like shakes so much, I suggest that you have them order mocktails (included with the soda and more card). Both the non-alcoholic chocolate banana and mud slide are very similar to chocolate milk shakes. The virgin daiquiris are very similar to fruit milk shakes. And they might find some other mocktails they like as well.

I filled out a comment card but there was no box at guest services to put it into. I handed it to the front desk but doubt it will get addressed. I also spoke to a rep at Princess today who confirmed that the soda and more package no longer includes shakes. She added that shakes ARE included with the premier beverage package BUT ( and this is the bit that made me shake my head) minors are obviously not permitted to purchase it! My kids do like the choc-banana mocktail but I am not as keen on them standing at a bar to order drinks - so much easier at the ice cream place. Plus, they usually are completely ignored by the bartenders when they try to order at the bar!

We had the shakes on our June cruise on the Coral. I would have been talking to the Food and Beverage Mgr if they had not been because the cruise personalizer certainly included those in the description. At least we do like the other parts of the package, but I would have been upset if they had taken away part of the package without a reduction in price.

Since this is the only reason you purchased the package, I would demand a refund on board so they have a record of your request for refund and then follow up post cruise.

The Soda and more package actually originated as the Ultimate Kids Package and it could only be purchased for kids. It was the comments on the surveys and to the Food and Beverage Mgrs and even to the shoreside Princess office by us and many other people I know (and certainly many others beyond that) that resulted in Princess finally opening this up to everyone. It was then marketed as the Ultimate Kids Package--for kids from 3 to 93-- and then renamed as the Soda and More package. So for Princess to take milkshakes away from this package but include it in an adults only inclusive beverage package with alcohol which kids can't purchase makes no sense.

We had the shakes on our June cruise on the Coral. I would have been talking to the Food and Beverage Mgr if they had not been because the cruise personalizer certainly included those in the description. At least we do like the other parts of the package, but I would have been upset if they had taken away part of the package without a reduction in price.

Since this is the only reason you purchased the package, I would demand a refund on board so they have a record of your request for refund and then follow up post cruise.

The Soda and more package actually originated as the Ultimate Kids Package and it could only be purchased for kids. It was the comments on the surveys and to the Food and Beverage Mgrs and even to the shoreside Princess office by us and many other people I know (and certainly many others beyond that) that resulted in Princess finally opening this up to everyone. It was then marketed as the Ultimate Kids Package--for kids from 3 to 93-- and then renamed as the Soda and More package. So for Princess to take milkshakes away from this package but include it in an adults only inclusive beverage package with alcohol which kids can't purchase makes no sense.

Agree with all of this 100%! I have always got it for my kids on every cruise. I'm sure we don't even spend what we pay for it but I don't want my kids to be able to charge to their cruise card and I don't want to have to constantly be the one getting their drinks. That's why the sticker was so great for them. So frustrating!

Agree with all of this 100%! I have always got it for my kids on every cruise. I'm sure we don't even spend what we pay for it but I don't want my kids to be able to charge to their cruise card and I don't want to have to constantly be the one getting their drinks. That's why the sticker was so great for them. So frustrating!

It's not even about the money for me it's about the lack of communication about the change and the inconsistency with the implementation! We literally were able to use it for shakes a week ago on the Emerald!

We have always bought the soda package - until now. The price has gotten too expensive for what is now included since shakes are out of it. We'll drink water for 15 days and save $250. I can buy a lot of soda at the grocery store for that.

Mike

The Princess website doesnt appear to mention milkshakes since at last December 2015 (perhaps earlier)

http://web.archive.org/web/20151212230525/http://www.princess.com:80/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package, entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

The Princess website doesnt appear to mention milkshakes since at last December 2015 (perhaps earlier)

http://web.archive.org/web/20151212230525/http://www.princess.com:80/learn/cruise-gifts-celebrations/gifts-and-services/culinary-delights-wine/

Indulge yourself with this premium Unlimited Soda & more Package, entitling you to the above Unlimited Soda Package plus any mocktails, juices, and complimentary hot chocolate throughout your cruise. Price includes service charge.

Maybe not on that page but when you added into onboard reservations through personalizer it was still listed when I purchased in May for both Emerald and Ruby.

I just got off the Emerald on Sunday, Oct. 1. When I asked at the ice cream bar if the shakes were included, I was told if I bought my sticker on the ship it was not included. I told her I had prepaid and she said then it was included.

Maybe that is how they were making it fair for advance purchasers (buying it when presumption or policy included shakes). Eventually it will phase them out I imagine.

And the rep couldn't answer WHY a $2.50 shake is not included but a $5 mocktail is. Anyone have any thoughts/theories? To me, it would make far more sense if it were the other way around......

Agree - makes no sense based on value per drink. Maybe kids were drinking Princess out of profits??? :loudcry:

Well thank-you OP for bringing this to my attention. My husband always get this and the milkshake is one of the reasons why. Now I have to tell him, sorry no milkshakes unless you want to pay extra :(

This is a disappointment that they made a change to the offer yet do nothing to bring it to your attention that an item that had been on this offer for a really long time is no longer. Partially my fault for not taking the time to read the description (true), however they could of put something in the description to make you aware.

I don't think we will get this Soda and more package in the future. My husband does not drink enough soda and he's not impressed with the "mocktails". We shall see on this next cruise if its still worth $8.05 a day.