Military Discounts

yags

I am not a veteran. Thanks to all who are. My brother who is an honorably discharged veteran will be traveling with us on the Grand to Alaska in June 2018. I have been recommending that he check into any military discounts or onboard credits that might be coming his way. Do you just have to be honorably discharged or are there other requirements?

He'll definitely qualify. Just needs to submit a copy of his DD214 (black out the ssn) and fax in with the paperwork and he will get the onboard credit. Won't have to reapply after the initial application.

We thank him for his service!

All he needs to do his faz his DD214 with the booking information to Princess to get the OBC. Be sure to black out any Social Security information or addresses. This is a one time request as Princess will keep the information on file.

For the 7 day AK cruise, the OP's brother is entitled to a $100 military OBC that is refundable if not used while on board the ship.

We will be doing 10 days on the Grand out of San Francisco. The posted OBC is still $100.00

According to the Princess website:

"Princess is pleased to offer a special military personnel onboard credit program. This program is available to active military,retired military and disabled military veterans with proper identifcation in the following service divisions: United StatesArmy, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves, Canadian National Defense and the British Army,Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or Reserves."

Therefore if he is a Veteran with less than 20 years of service (Retired), he is not eligible for this promotion. At least that is what I read. Active Duty, Retired and Disabled only qualify.

"Princess is pleased to offer a special military personnel onboard credit program. This program is available to active military,retired military and disabled military veterans with proper identifcation in the following service divisions: United StatesArmy, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, National Guard or Reserves, Canadian National Defense and the British Army,Royal Marines, Royal Navy, Royal Air Force or Reserves."

Therefore if he is a Veteran with less than 20 years of service (Retired), he is not eligible for this promotion. At least that is what I read. Active Duty, Retired and Disabled only qualify.

Unless it has changed recently, the above is incorrect. I had 4 years of active service almost 60 years ago and I do receive the MOBC. (Thank you Princess)

Won't hurt to submit the form either way.

If you had scrolled to page 2 of the form rather than stopped reading after the first paragraph you would have found the following:

Veterans with an honorable discharge

Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone , or an educationaldischarge if within 90 days of their normal separation date in any of the applicable service divisions listed above.

It is for all veterans. One does not have to be retired military. All that is needed is that the veteran block on your DD214 has been checked. In order to earn veteran status, one has to serve 181 continual days in an active unit not in training. Therefore most National Guard and Reserve members who have only been on active duty for training are not veterans regardless of their time and even if they are retired.

We will be doing 10 days on the Grand out of San Francisco. The posted OBC is still $100.00

The military OBC:

Voyage Length ............Onboard Credit per Qualified Passenger

6 days or less ......................$50

7 - 13 days ..........................$100

14 days or longer ................$250

Note that this is for every veteran regardless of how many are in the cabin

As previously corrected :

Veterans with an honorable discharge serving a minimum of 2 years or 6 months in an active war zone , or an educational

discharge if within 90 days of their normal separation date in any of the applicable service divisions listed above. Please provide a copy of the following:

U.S.: DD 214 Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. Please ensure that Social Security Number has been crossed out.

Canada: VAC (Veterans Affairs Canada) Health Identification Card UK: Appropriate proof of service issued by the MOD

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is for all veterans. One does not have to be retired military. All that is needed is that the veteran block on your DD214 has been checked. In order to earn veteran status, one has to serve 181 continual days in an active unit not in training. Therefore most National Guard and Reserve members who have only been on active duty for training are not veterans regardless of their time and even if they are retired.

The description of the benefit is slightly confusing. That is why I kept impressing on my brother to look further into it. We were on the Crown last March and my cousins husband got the benefit and he had only 4 years in dating back to the 1960's.

Just a quick note - AD and Honorably Discharged Vets / Retired get the OBC and it is combinable with any and all other OBC. But, make sure you send in the DD-214 with the block showing 'Honorably Discharged'.

It's normally the "Member 4" page that notes the type of discharge. It is my understanding that Princess also accepts a "General Discharge under Honorable conditions" discharge.

Of course, it is possible that DoD has recently updated and changed the DD-214, but I'm a retired Col (2001) and my DD-214 does not have a 'veteran' block to check. I looked at my wife's and daughters (1982 & 2010 honorable discharges) and neither of theirs has a 'veteran' block either. It could be that is on a different 'member' copy than where it states 'type of Discharge'?

Of course, it is possible that DoD has recently updated and changed the DD-214, but I'm a retired Col (2001) and my DD-214 does not have a 'veteran' block to check. I looked at my wife's and daughters (1982 & 2010 honorable discharges) and neither of theirs has a 'veteran' block either. It could be that is on a different 'member' copy than where it states 'type of Discharge'?

Mine just shows, in Block 24 "Character of Service" as Honorable. I've never seen a "Veteran" block either.

My DD214 was issued in 1972. With that I got it out and looked at it as I have not had to get it out in years. Well as you all point out, it does not say veteran but does list my separation from active duty as "honorable" and does indicate the date I reported for active duty and the date I left active duty. I later retired from the USAR. Apologies for the confusion.

I am a British Armed Forces Veteran , also on The Grand next June to Alaska, sent my form off and received the $100 obc with 28 days.

Awesome. Which cruise will you be on?

I am a British Armed Forces Veteran , also on The Grand next June to Alaska, sent my form off and received the $100 obc with 28 days.

Your details should now be locked into your profile with Princess, as mine are due to Army service. So next cruise your Military OBC should pop up. I have recently booked 3 cruises on Princess next year, Sapphire x 2 and Royal Princess and did not have to re apply for the military obc.

Princess grants military obc to serving or retired personnel from USA/Canada/UK/Australia/NZ. That's about all the countries I think.

Thank you Mr Princess.:halo:

We are sailing on the 25th June one.:D:D:D

Awesome! Glad you will be on the same cruise. Starting to see more folks that will be on the Grand on this cruise. Glad you and yours are some of them.