Southermost Point

Banana15

Our ship is in port from 8 am to 5 pm (on Mother's Day). We have tickets for the Old Town Trolley. I read that the Southermost Point Buoy can have a long line sometimes. Is there a time that is best to go visit to get a photo and get outta there before it gets crowded? She we head there first thing in the morning?

Early is probably your best bet, before the rest of the cruise crowd makes it way south but I've seen it busy at 8am. I think if a ship is in port, it's gonna be busy and there's no way around that.

here's a webcam for the point, http://southernmostpointwebcam.com/ you can look through the archive to see how the crowds look today (there's 2 ships in port according to the calendar). at 8:30 this morning people were already starting to congregate

We normally stay around Upper Duval and have seen the buoy pretty much crowded all day when ships are in port. I agree that going there first thing after you get off the ship may be your best bet but you won't be the only one.

We got off the ship right when it docked and took the Old Town Trolley. It took about a hour to get to the stop for the Southern most point. It was then about a block walk and there was a line but it moved quickly tourists were very helpful with taking pictures of others. There is a neat store at that stop that has all kinds of great ornaments and souvenirs.

We got off the ship right when it docked and took the Old Town Trolley. It took about a hour to get to the stop for the Southern most point. It was then about a block walk and there was a line but it moved quickly tourists were very helpful with taking pictures of others. There is a neat store at that stop that has all kinds of great ornaments and souvenirs.

What time were you able to get on the trolley? I was told the first one wasn’t until 9 am. We get into port at 8 am, so I’m wondering if I should just walk to SMP and then catch a trolley there. I don’t want to lose an hour but I’m not sure how long the walk would take either.

It's 1.25 to 1.9 mile walk. Our tickets said 9:30-10:30 there was a trolley waiting & one right behind. Be sure to change your ticket right when you get off the ship before you walk down the pier. They will give you a map & a sticker to wear. It seemed like a long line but we probably only waited about 20 min at the most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

It's 1.25 to 1.9 mile walk. Our tickets said 9:30-10:30 there was a trolley waiting & one right behind. Be sure to change your ticket right when you get off the ship before you walk down the pier. They will give you a map & a sticker to wear. It seemed like a long line but we probably only waited about 20 min at the most.

What do you mean “change my ticket?” The time?

I think I requested the earliest time, which was 8:30. But I called OTT the other day and was told the first trolley starts at 9 am. So I don’t know when I can actually get one. If I have an hour to kill, I can certainly walk over there, as long as I can grab the trolley from there instead of the port.

I purchased our tickets from Celebrity so I needed to check in right when we got off the ship where all the excursions meet to get the sticker to wear.

I actually purchased mine through Celebrity as well. So do you think I should be able to just get my sticker first thing and then walk over there and pick up a trolley from there?

What do you mean “change my ticket?” The time?

I think I requested the earliest time, which was 8:30. But I called OTT the other day and was told the first trolley starts at 9 am. So I don’t know when I can actually get one. If I have an hour to kill, I can certainly walk over there, as long as I can grab the trolley from there instead of the port.

You can also call a cab and be there in five minutes - well before the trolley people and the rest of the walkers. 305-296-6666. Six bucks, maybe less.

Once you have your sticker you can get on the trolley at any of the stops. If you walk to SMP you'll pass by the beginning trolley stop. I would consider getting on the trolley there and getting off at SMP and then walk back. We didn't think there was anything we needed to go back and see during the first hour on the trolley.

You can also call a cab and be there in five minutes - well before the trolley people and the rest of the walkers. 305-296-6666. Six bucks, maybe less.

That may actually be a really good idea! Are there usually tons of cabs at the port?

That may actually be a really good idea! Are there usually tons of cabs at the port?

Not really, but just head for the nearest corner, call them and they'll be there in five minutes. There are a couple different places you could dock in Key West that would drop you off in slightly different places.

Remember Key West is a domestic port, so just use your phone. There's also an app you can download ahead of time called Florida Keys Taxi.

Not really, but just head for the nearest corner, call them and they'll be there in five minutes. There are a couple different places you could dock in Key West that would drop you off in slightly different places.

Perfect. I’ll just call once we make it off the ship! Thank you!

Depending on where you dock its only a 20, maybe 25 minute walk to the buoy. While most people will take the OTT, you would be better off hoofing it down there. Its only a few hundred feet to trolley stop #11 and while most people will be getting off, you can hop on and take the tour from there.

As for changing your ticket - there is absolutely no need. OTT is a HOHO trolley where the driver gives a tour narration as they drive - doesn't matter whether you get on at stop #1 or stop #10, there is nothing chronological about the tour. The only issue is that you will get different drivers who give different narrations - some good and some better

Depending on where you dock its only a 20, maybe 25 minute walk to the buoy. While most people will take the OTT, you would be better off hoofing it down there. Its only a few hundred feet to trolley stop #11 and while most people will be getting off, you can hop on and take the tour from there.

That is really what I thought to do from the get-go. I figured by the time I got there and got my picture done, I could get on the trolley from there and miss the crowd. That's what I'm hoping for.

TY!