P and O Australia - Australia Day Cruise Disappointment

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:15 AM.
#21
Canberra Australia
142 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
We are on one of the other ships in the harbour throughout the day (Syd/Syd cruise). Bit disappointed about no fireworks, but that was a small, 10m end to the day, rather than the primary focus. From last time doing the Aust Day cruise, the rest of the day out in the middle of the harbour was really good watching the boat dress-ups, ferry races, flyovers from the F18's and A380's and everything else happening on the harbour.

I do feel sorry though for those from Brisbane who are now missing out on the fireworks, which was one of the highlights when docked at white bay for the day.

I also suspect it was a last minute change enforced upon P&O. They advertised that they now have some form of dress up with a $10k first prize (total $20k in all prizes), which I have never seen advertised before. No interest to me, but I suspect that is what they were formally spending on fireworks.
#22
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by sir-magoo
We are on one of the other ships in the harbour throughout the day (Syd/Syd cruise). Bit disappointed about no fireworks, but that was a small, 10m end to the day, rather than the primary focus. From last time doing the Aust Day cruise, the rest of the day out in the middle of the harbour was really good watching the boat dress-ups, ferry races, flyovers from the F18's and A380's and everything else happening on the harbour.

I do feel sorry though for those from Brisbane who are now missing out on the fireworks, which was one of the highlights when docked at white bay for the day.

I also suspect it was a last minute change enforced upon P&O. They advertised that they now have some form of dress up with a $10k first prize (total $20k in all prizes), which I have never seen advertised before. No interest to me, but I suspect that is what they were formally spending on fireworks.
Agreed, I haven't heard of the dress up thing before. Are you going as yourself, that would be funny, especially if you always just avoided calamity..
#23
Gold Coast
169 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by mr walker
So I guess someone(s) screwed up & I fully understand people's disappointment in missing what was a integral part of the cruise. Good that this has been recognised by P&O and they have acted on this.

OP, will you cancel, or maybe still cruise if P&O offered some compensation for missing the evening entertainment?

In my view, fireworks are overrated & I just don't get this "it's not a celebration (of anything) if there's not fireworks" fixation.
.

Still deciding about whether to go or not. Hubby wants to, being self-employed I have cleared any work for those days, dog is booked with sitter, and this cruise gets me to Elite with Princess (who I usually cruise with) in time for my PNG cruise next month. So there are reasons still to go. They have offered OBC as compensation if we don't cancel.
#24
Queensland
7,054 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by datone
.

Still deciding about whether to go or not. Hubby wants to, being self-employed I have cleared any work for those days, dog is booked with sitter, and this cruise gets me to Elite with Princess (who I usually cruise with) in time for my PNG cruise next month. So there are reasons still to go. They have offered OBC as compensation if we don't cancel.
Do you mind if I ask how much OBC?
#25
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by datone
.

Still deciding about whether to go or not. Hubby wants to, being self-employed I have cleared any work for those days, dog is booked with sitter, and this cruise gets me to Elite with Princess (who I usually cruise with) in time for my PNG cruise next month. So there are reasons still to go. They have offered OBC as compensation if we don't cancel.
I would still go, most of the fun on the arbour is during the day with the ferry race and such, the Aussie day fireworks are not that great and you can always record the telecast on TV. Some compensation would suit me fine.
#26
Perth Australia
5,126 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
Originally posted by Aus Traveller
My son and daughter-in-law said they will still go on the cruise, but they are a bit disappointed that the ship has to leave before the fireworks.

I am pretty sure this would not have been a decision by P&O. My guess is that they have been instructed to leave the harbour at 5.30. I can remember a fuss a couple of years ago by people around the harbour claiming the ship or ships anchored in the harbour blocked their view.
I think Pac Dawn was part of the skyshow when it first joined the aussie fleet and pac Sun was forced to sail away even though it was supposed to be moored for them.

Good luck with a nice big OBC from P&O AU! lol P&O will always offer a lot less if any OBC than others would, thats for sure!

Wouldnt it be great if most took up the offer of full refund lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#27
Blue Mountains
692 Posts
Joined Sep 2012
I wonder if they will have any last minute specials if people end up cancelling?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE - Syd-Kobe Feb 2017

Sea Princess Bris-Syd Jan 2017
Pacific Eden - Papua & New Guinea and Solomon Islands Oct 2016
Celebrity Solstice - Ultimate Alaska Sept 2015
Voyager of the Seas - Sydney to NZ Feb 2015
Carnival Spirit - South Pacific and Fiji - Nov 2014
Radiance of the Seas - Honolulu to Sydney - Sept 2012
Rhapsody of the Seas -South Pacific - Nov 2011
#28
Sydney, Australia
14,148 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by gbenjo
Cannot see how fireworks going off high in the sky could be blocked by a ship moored at sea level and in the middle of the harbour.


Agreed.


I have to say if you are even in a position to see ships blocking your view, then you have a damn good view!
#29
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by cruisine21
I wonder if they will have any last minute specials if people end up cancelling?


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Might be worth watching out for.
#30
Batehaven, Australia
10,659 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Dobby_The_Ship_Elf
I agree about the pax who are disappointed with Piss me Off not delivering what they advertised. However, how does a ship at sea level bock your view of fireworks in the sky.

#firstwirldproblems
Or as the Brits call the above..PANDO. I reckon if most demanded refunds, the cruise would be cancelled. They won't drop prices to rock bottom. They might in the US of A, but not here.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
#31
Queensland
7,054 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by NSWP
Or as the Brits call the above..PANDO. I reckon if most demanded refunds, the cruise would be cancelled. They won't drop prices to rock bottom. They might in the US of A, but not here.
I don't think most will demand refunds - not ten days before the cruise when many people will have organised time off work etc. Even if a lot cancelled, I don't think P&O would cancel the cruise. If a fair number cancel, I think P&O will be offering good prices. An empty cabin loses money (because the ship's overheads still have to paid). Even if people get a 'deal' at half the original price, P&O would probably break even on that cabin. Many people spend more on their on-board account than they outlay in the cruise fare.
#32
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by NSWP
Or as the Brits call the above..PANDO. I reckon if most demanded refunds, the cruise would be cancelled. They won't drop prices to rock bottom. They might in the US of A, but not here.
Better to sail at low prices and still make money on the on board spending than to sit idle for the length of the cruise out at sea.
#33
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Aus Traveller
I don't think most will demand refunds - not ten days before the cruise when many people will have organised time off work etc. Even if a lot cancelled, I don't think P&O would cancel the cruise. If a fair number cancel, I think P&O will be offering good prices. An empty cabin loses money (because the ship's overheads still have to paid). Even if people get a 'deal' at half the original price, P&O would probably break even on that cabin. Many people spend more on their on-board account than they outlay in the cruise fare.
Agreed.
#34
Batehaven, Australia
10,659 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
Agreed.
Agreed, ship will sail and few will cancel. A cruise is a cruise. The ship might let off its own fireworks out to sea.

I can imagine PANDO Straya customer relations have had heir hands full of cranky pax. Such is life. They might get thrown a $100 obc for a few VB's.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
#35
Gold Coast
169 Posts
Joined Dec 2011
Originally posted by Aus Traveller
Do you mind if I ask how much OBC?
$200 so for the 2 of us that's $100 each.
#37
Nelson Bay
1,183 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by datone
$200 so for the 2 of us that's $100 each.
I have seen enough fireworks and would be happy with the $200 OBC.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

#38
Canberra Australia
40,546 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by By The Bay
I have seen enough fireworks and would be happy with the $200 OBC.
Buy and drink three long island iced teas, then you would be seeing fireworks.
#39
Queensland
7,054 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by datone
$200 so for the 2 of us that's $100 each.
Thanks for that info. That is about what I expected. I have left a message for my son to phone me to let me know how he went talking to P&O.
#40
Batehaven, Australia
10,659 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by datone
$200 so for the 2 of us that's $100 each.
Generic offer, but better than zilch, Enjoy.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 460 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'