Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

TLCOhio

Our first visit to Venice was in 1980. We were touring Europe for several months in a VW van. We have returned numerous times-either on land trips or cruise/land trips.

We enjoy Venice now as much as we ever have. We always find something new to do, something new to see. It is like London, Paris, or Rome. There is always something to see that you did not previously see. Or see it differently at a different time of the year.

• 2 months later...
Our first visit to Venice was in 1980. We were touring Europe for several months in a VW van. We have returned numerous times-either on land trips or cruise/land trips. We enjoy Venice now as much as we ever have. We always find something new to do, something new to see. It is like London, Paris, or Rome. There is always something to see that you did not previously see. Or see it differently at a different time of the year.

Appreciate these above comments and nice follow-up from iancal. Very true about the wonderful and ever-changing options in Venice.

From two media sources, here are a couple of items of interest about wonderful and charming Venice.

First from Architectural Digest two days ago, they had this headline: Venice Travel Secret Worth Knowing with these highlights: Where to find the most picture-perfect aperitivo in this Italian destination may surprise you. Venice—it goes without saying—is glorious, with its maritime mystique and architectural treasures. But Venice is also touristy. I defy anyone to make their way across the Rialto without thinking less-than-loving thoughts about their fellow man. These crowds could make murderers out of monks. And so it was that I recently found myself in desperate need of drink. I set off in search of a local speciality, the Bellini—a refreshing mixture of peach juice and prosecco invented by Giuseppe Cipriani in 1948.

From the London/UK Daily Mail earlier this month, they had this headline: Venice, city of love with these highlights: Known as the city of love, its mix of Italian Renaissance art, distinctive Byzantine-influenced architecture and interconnected canals make it a truly enchanting place to explore. Set across from the magnificent Santa Maria Della Salute – one of Venice’s grandest Roman Catholic churches – sits the historic building that houses The Gritti Palace; a 15th century palazzo hotel. After a scenic gondola ride along the Grand Canal, past the Rialto Bridge and buzz of tourists, we had arrived... and what a welcome.

Brings back nice memories!! Right?

Full stories at:

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/story/venice-bellini

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/you/article-5959265/Travel-Venice-City-Love.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 22,447 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From the Travel Section of London/UK's Sunday Times tomorrow morning, they had this headline: Secret Venice: escape the crowds with these highlights: Skip the overpriced gondolas and avoid the St Mark’s trudge — there’s a better way to see the Italian city.

Here are more highlights: "If you want to enjoy this extraordinarily beguiling but insanely overcrowded city in the summer months, when the hordes trudge lemming-like between St Mark’s Square and the Rialto Bridge and rapacious restaurateurs charge €500 for a fish lunch, there’s a simple solution: stick to its hidden places, from off-the-beaten track bars and little-known islands to secret bolt holes."

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/travel/secret-venice-escape-the-crowds-7790l6p07

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 236,765 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Question for you Terry :)

Guide or NO Guide in Rome and out of Naples?

Appreciate this great question and follow-up. No right or wrong answer possible. Sorry! Much depends on your budget, personal style, info/history depth of understanding desired, etc. First, second or third visit to these key cities/areas??

Tell us more!! Ideally, if you can afford it, a good guide is always a plus and helpful asset. Especially in aiding and speeding the "logistics". Getting around in Italy and seeing much more can be a major challenge. AND, to understand what you are seeing and why it is of importance. History is huge in Italy. Knowing how it ALL fits together is major to appreciate these significances!!

Need added aspects/factorsto consider?

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,184 views for these postings.

Hello Terry in Ohio and all others online here ~ This has been a most fascinating thread... the most interesting one I've read in Cruise Critic... and your pictures, Terry, are unsurpassed! Thanks for all the interesting information to read and view. It's taken me a few days to read through it all and look at some of the videos. What an enjoyment. Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world, of the places I've managed to visit in my 73 years. It all started back in the 1980's when I was stationed in Vicenza as a military wife. We could ride the train to Venice and be there in about 30 minutes. This meant we could easily go to Venice for dinner as a couple or go to Venice for lunch with other military wives or go to Venice to show our kids the historical sights or go to Venice to show our visiting parents the way around. I was afforded the wonderful opportunity to view Venice in beautiful sunshine in the summer, in the misty rainy season in the winter, after dark, during Carnivale, during a flood, with a group of giggly school girls as a class chaperone and to celebrate my 40th birthday. The city holds dear and precious memories. Fast forward to a cruise last year on the Brilliance of the Seas during the month of June. I wanted to show the city to my present husband who had not been there before. I had not been back in the intervening years either. Previously, I had thought that emerging from the train station was a great spectacle. Well, seeing the whole city of Venice from the top deck of a ship is an even more remarkable sight! Selfishly speaking, I'm glad the cruise ships were still sailing past the city like this last year. Environmentally speaking, I don't know how the cruise ships CAN'T be doing damage to the city, though, with this continuing practice and would think they might eventually be re-routed. Seeing Venice again literally brought tears to my eyes. It did not disappoint either me or my DH. The ONLY disappointment was the weather as Europe was experiencing a heat wave with temperatures soaring in the upper 90's. The heat combined with our arthritic knees and assorted other health issues made walking over those 400 bridges kind of a chore! I had insisted that we walk all the way to San Marco Square but we did give up shortly after the Rialto Bridge to take a water boat to afford us a seat and a slight breeze! Also, along the way, we stopped for a cold lemon slushee drink and it seemed like the most refreshing drink we had ever had in our lives, ha ha! That and the inside of the cafe was air-conditioned! Interestingly enough, we ran into another couple from the ship that we had toured Florence with and we told them about the lemon drink. They asked where it was and we said something like "Oh, you'll never find it. It was down some back alley." They asked if I still had the receipt and I did. They simply looked it up on their cell phone and trudged off in search of it!!! Those Millenials, LOL! Anyway, thanks again for all of the great pictures, information and for continuing the thread after all these years! Glad I saw it to reminisce with!

Hello Terry in Ohio and all others online here ~ This has been a most fascinating thread... the most interesting one I've read in Cruise Critic... and your pictures, Terry, are unsurpassed! Thanks for all the interesting information to read and view. It's taken me a few days to read through it all and look at some of the videos. What an enjoyment. Venice is one of my favorite cities in the world, of the places I've managed to visit in my 73 years.

thanks again for all of the great pictures, information and for continuing the thread after all these years! Glad I saw it to reminisce with!

Wonderful!! Appreciate these kind above comments and this nice follow-up. YES, Venice is amazing!! Love your sharing and details about your excellent past experiences.

From the London/UK Telegraph a week ago, they had this headline: Venice cruise port guide with these highlights: Venice is the world’s most beautiful and singular city, and though you could spend months exploring its many treasures, there’s no reason why you can’t see some of its highlights and more hidden corners in a short visit as part of a cruise. One of Venice’s many attractions is that you have to walk to all parts of the city, water being the only other means of getting around. On a short visit, aim to explore on foot as much as you can, allowing more time than you might think to negotiate bridges, twists and turns and occasionally losing your way.

Many tips and ideas for cruise visitors to Venice in this helpful and interesting profile. Many good pictures featured, plus hotel ideas/suggstions, etc.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/port-guides/venice-cruise-port-guide/

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 43,016 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

From Travel and Leisure magazine two days ago, they had this headline: Venice Banning Kayaks, Canoes, Other Boats From Grand Canal with these highlights: Locals and tourists in Venice will have to look for some other means of getting around the city now that a new regulation will ban certain types of boats from the Grand Canal. As of August 1, authorities are now prohibiting recreational boats such as canoes, kayaks, paddleboards and others from being used in the canal, The Local reported. People who live or own businesses in the historic district, however, are exempt from the complete ban and will still be able to use their boats during restricted times. Following the death of a German tourist in 2013, regulations on the Grand Canal have slowly become stricter, beginning with fewer ferries on the waterway.

Full story at:

https://www.travelandleisure.com/travel-news/venice-bans-kayaks-canoes

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting, dramatic pictures can be seen from this live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 40,761 views for this visual sharing including Cape Town, along South Africa’s coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Wow, just wow! Thanks so much to Terry and many others who have contributed to this very informative and interesting thread! Thanks also for the pics and videos! I've read most pages, and will go back to watch more videos soon.

We are going to Venice for the first time in Oct. I've already been stressing over transportation, lol! Now I'm hoping we don't experience flooding, eek! :o

We are staying in a house in Cannaregio for a week, so will be in a residential area, which sounds wonderful! I'm seeing we need to go to the touristy sites on days when there are less cruisers there, (which I've now researched!), plus during less busy times. We can do this! :hearteyes:

Very excited! We aren't cruising from Venice, as we fly to Rome for a few nights, then cruise from there. We spent a week in Rome a couple of years ago, so chose the longer nights in Venice.

I think on the days when more cruise ships are in port, we should go to Murano and Burano? Good idea?

I think on the days when more cruise ships are in port, we should go to Murano and Burano? Good idea?

Very good idea, you can do both on one Vaporretto.

When you go to Murano you can go into a glass factory and see a demonstration free. You have to walk out through the shop, but no obligation to buy.

When we went to Murano we got a free water taxi from near the Doge’s Palace. The glass factories have touts there who persuade you to go. They take you there free straight to the glass factory & the demonstration was very interesting, then you can get a Vaporetto back to the main island or one to Burano.

For transport information, have you looked at the ‘Europe For Visitors’ Venice pages? Here’s a link to their page which shows which number Vaporretto go where https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vaporetto_routes2_table_printable.htm

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, just wow! Thanks so much to Terry and many others who have contributed to this very informative and interesting thread! Thanks also for the pics and videos! I've read most pages, and will go back to watch more videos soon. We are going to Venice for the first time in Oct. I've already been stressing over transportation, lol! Now I'm hoping we don't experience flooding, eek!

Appreciate these great comments, sharing and follow-ups about Venice and its many options and potentials. Keep it coming!! Nice added ideas from Host Grandma Cruising.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,246 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 2 weeks later...

From the London/UK Telegraph yesterday, they had this headline: Has tourism killed Venice? with these highlights: “Venice is ruined. At least you'd be forgiven for thinking that if you have been following the news in recent months. Barely a week goes by without another overtourism story emerging from the Lagoon. Earlier this year the city mayor Luigi Brugnaro proposed a cap on day-trippers. Over Easter, controversial crowd-control gates were installed. Just a few weeks ago there was outrage when a cafe charged €38 for two coffees and water.

This major newspaper did a "travel documentary" where in this video they try to find out and explore if Venice has "been loved to death." This ten-minutes-plus video has lots of great visuals and details about historic and charming Venice. There is also in this story a number of interesting perspectives from different people there about Venice, its challenges, the future, etc. There is also a link to one of their stories that offers "The five best alternatives to overcrowded Venice".

Had friends in Venice with their family within the past two weeks and they confirmed that, YES!!, Venice was super busy and very crowded. No surprise!! But, they also loved this special and unique place in the world.

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/italy/veneto/venice/articles/venice-tourism-crowds/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 58,761 views for these postings.

• 1 month later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent three days ago, they had this headline: Venice Tourists Could Be Fined €500 for Sitting Down with these highlights: Visitors to Venice could be fined up to €500 (£440) for sitting in undesignated spots, after the mayor suggested a new ban as part of wider efforts to crack down on undesirable tourist behaviour. The idea, hatched by Mayor Luigi Brugnaro, will be voted on by the city council in October. If the proposal is successful, tourists could be told to move on and fined from €50 to €500 for sitting somewhere they shouldn’t. It’s just the latest in a long list of measures designed to deal with the city’s overwhelming popularity as a tourist destination.

Many other items are outlined in this article, including this update/overview now for Venice: "Visitors are instructed not to swim in canals, make picnic stops out of public areas, pause too long on bridges, drop litter, ride or wheel bikes, stand or lie on benches, busk or make art without a permit, attach 'love locks' to monuments and bridges, climb on trees, buildings and monuments, get changed in public, feed birds or sightsee topless or in swimwear. Making too much noise, whether at night or during siesta time (1-3pm), is also forbidden."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-sitting-ban-fine-tourists-overtourism-sit-mayor-luigi-brugnaro-a8547086.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,068 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I understand but maybe a few benches here and there would help. It can be exhausting for people daytripping, and maybe they could enforce the purse hawkers that block the bridges! Makes it very difficult to walk. I was most annoyed after only a few days, I can’t imagine the poor locals. But even to find a toilet is difficult. We even had a cafe refuse us after buying pastries. So the needs of locals and tourists need to be looked after.

Ending up in Venice...where to stay for a few days?

A couple of years ago we did a land trip of Northern Italy traveling from Venice to Lake Como and much in between. We stayed at a B&B in San Marco and we loved everything about it.

https://www.bedandbreakfastalteatro.com/

I don't mention it for pre -cruise stays because most everyone prefers to be near the port or at least at Piazzale Roma. After the cruise it may not matter to you and San Marco is very central and the B&B is close to water taxis, great restaurants, Piazza San Marco etc.

Of course, if you are not into B & B's, it may not be what you are looking for. We loved it!

A couple of years ago we did a land trip of Northern Italy traveling from Venice to Lake Como and much in between. We stayed at a B&B in San Marco and we loved everything about it.

https://www.bedandbreakfastalteatro.com/

I don't mention it for pre -cruise stays because most everyone prefers to be near the port or at least at Piazzale Roma. After the cruise it may not matter to you and San Marco is very central and the B&B is close to water taxis, great restaurants, Piazza San Marco etc.

Of course, if you are not into B & B's, it may not be what you are looking for. We loved it!

Thanks so much.

Thanks so much.

YES!! Appreciate these great questions, comments and follow-ups. Very helpful sharing.

From the London/UK Telegraph today, they had this headline: “Venice considers alcohol ban to combat tourism with these highlights: “Venice is mulling a ban on carrying alcohol in the streets in its latest bid to combat the impact of excessive tourism and disruptive behaviour that is infuriating residents. The city is considering fines for anyone found to be carrying alcohol after 7 pm - even if it is sealed in shopping bags. The move is designed to target drunk tourists who party throughout the night in squares or public places in the popular Lagoon City without a 'justifiable reason'.

Full story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/26/venice-considers-alcohol-ban-combat-tourism/

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 212,888 views for this posting.

YES!! Appreciate these great questions, comments and follow-ups. Very helpful sharing.

From the London/UK Telegraph today, they had this headline: “Venice considers alcohol ban to combat tourism with these highlights: “Venice is mulling a ban on carrying alcohol in the streets in its latest bid to combat the impact of excessive tourism and disruptive behaviour that is infuriating residents. The city is considering fines for anyone found to be carrying alcohol after 7 pm - even if it is sealed in shopping bags. The move is designed to target drunk tourists who party throughout the night in squares or public places in the popular Lagoon City without a 'justifiable reason'.

Full story:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/09/26/venice-considers-alcohol-ban-combat-tourism/

I have seen this first hand on the streets (and the canals-lol) in Venice. Think Times Square on New Years Eve meets Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. The population of Venice is dwindling. More and more Venetians have moved to the Mainland - those who work in the Tourism Industry commute back and forth.

Nighttime revelers are quite disorderly at times. And, between the bridges and the canals, the inebriated tourists have become a safety risk as well. Residents of Venice face a two sided sword. They depend on tourist dollars but despise the debris those same tourists leave behind when they leave - on their streets and more importantly in the canals.

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Independent three days ago, they had this headline: Venice Tourists Could Be Fined €500 for Sitting Down with these highlights: Visitors to Venice could be fined up to €500 (£440) for sitting in undesignated spots, after the mayor suggested a new ban as part of wider efforts to crack down on undesirable tourist behaviour. The idea, hatched by Mayor Luigi Brugnaro, will be voted on by the city council in October. If the proposal is successful, tourists could be told to move on and fined from €50 to €500 for sitting somewhere they shouldn’t. It’s just the latest in a long list of measures designed to deal with the city’s overwhelming popularity as a tourist destination.

Many other items are outlined in this article, including this update/overview now for Venice: "Visitors are instructed not to swim in canals, make picnic stops out of public areas, pause too long on bridges, drop litter, ride or wheel bikes, stand or lie on benches, busk or make art without a permit, attach 'love locks' to monuments and bridges, climb on trees, buildings and monuments, get changed in public, feed birds or sightsee topless or in swimwear. Making too much noise, whether at night or during siesta time (1-3pm), is also forbidden."

Full story at:

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/venice-sitting-ban-fine-tourists-overtourism-sit-mayor-luigi-brugnaro-a8547086.html

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 36,068 views. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

I have great empathy for the citizens of Venice, and support every measure this mayor has come up to make it a more "livable" place. Except the sitting one. There is no place to sit in Venice for the most part, except cafes. There are a few smaller campos with benches, but they are few and far between.

I have seen this first hand on the streets (and the canals-lol) in Venice. Think Times Square on New Years Eve meets Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras. The population of Venice is dwindling. More and more Venetians have moved to the Mainland - those who work in the Tourism Industry commute back and forth. Nighttime revelers are quite disorderly at times. And, between the bridges and the canals, the inebriated tourists have become a safety risk as well. Residents of Venice face a two sided sword. They depend on tourist dollars but despise the debris those same tourists leave behind when they leave - on their streets and more importantly in the canals.

I have great empathy for the citizens of Venice, and support every measure this mayor has come up to make it a more "livable" place. Except the sitting one. There is no place to sit in Venice for the most part, except cafes. There are a few smaller campos with benches, but they are few and far between.

Appreciate these very good comments and follow-ups. YES, lots of serious challenges facing Venice. Excellent point about this "two-sided sword" facing Venice. The tourism business is important for Venice and its future. BUT, drunks abusing this historic location is too, too much.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Finished June 2017 sailing on the Silver Spirit from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Now at 25,393 views. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

We actually find ourselves supporting the no-sitting efforts in Venice. One has to only walk around San Francisco to see the impact of allowing folks to sit and do as they please. There are a few park areas and benches around the city although we agree that finding free seating is a real challenge is certain neighborhoods. But that is why they invented cafes :). DW and I have walked for miles in Venice and never been accosted by a homeless person, never saw needles laying the street, and certainly did not have to watch our feet to make sure we did not step on human waste. Perhaps one could make a case for adding more benches, but there are many parts of Venice that simply do not have the space.

Hank

W.... Perhaps one could make a case for adding more benches, but there are many parts of Venice that simply do not have the space.

Hank

Exactly. Tiny little medieval streets don't lend themselves to benches. Which is why I think this is a step too far. If they really want to make a differnce, limit the # of cruise ships, and eliminate turn-around in the port of Venice. 3 large cruise chips can equal 12k people. Add a turn-around, and that number becomes 24k trying to sightsee and then get on and off the island.

Exactly. Tiny little medieval streets don't lend themselves to benches. Which is why I think this is a step too far. If they really want to make a differnce, limit the # of cruise ships, and eliminate turn-around in the port of Venice. 3 large cruise chips can equal 12k people. Add a turn-around, and that number becomes 24k trying to sightsee and then get on and off the island.

In my opinion this will never happen. The tourist revenue generated from cruise ships is too great to give up.