Have you served in HM Forces

The Pub

Chit-Chatter about just about anything with other UK Cruisers!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:10 PM.
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
I only did 3 years in British Army 63-66 before migration to the Colonies downunder in 1966. I received HM British Veterans badge some 5 years ago, it has been around for a while, yes I wear it. I also did some time in the Australian Army and qualify for OBC with Princess Cruises, i.e. $250 for 31 day cruse on Golden Princess next March. P&O UK gives you zilch, but that has been debated strongly on P&O UK board.

However P&O Australia also give military obc for serving and former Army,Navy, Air Force, so why not P&O UK?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Newport, South Wales, UK
2,641 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Did 9 years in the RAF from 89-98, great that we get OBC from Princess even though we're not American. It's shameful P&O UK can't do the same, even if it was just for UK passengers. Americans even get a Military discount of the price of their cruise.....A lot of companies in the UK treat our Armed Forces shamefully compared to the States.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Celebration - Best of the Black Sea 6th Oct 2014 - We cancelled due to Putin's ongoing KGB tactics in Ukraine.
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country 24th April 2019

Torquay, England
2,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Are you sure P&O do not offer this very nice gesture as Cunard most certainly does (or at least I got it)
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by glojo
Are you sure P&O do not offer this very nice gesture as Cunard most certainly does (or at least I got it)
I am certain, P&O Australia does give OBC to former and serving defence force bods, blike Princess but not P&O UK, I have asked.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..

Torquay, England
2,054 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Originally posted by NSWP
I am certain, P&O Australia does give OBC to former and serving defence force bods, blike Princess but not P&O UK, I have asked.
That's it then but how sad that one part of the company does... and the other half does not! P&O did a marvellous job in supporting our military operations and that has to be respected

Perhaps this might encourage folks to opt forCunard as opposed to that other option.
West Yorkshire
56 Posts
Joined May 2014
Came across this thread a couple of weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised to be made aware of this ex-servicemen's entitlement.
I served in the Royal Navy during the 1970's so I decided to apply.
My badge arrived yesterday (meticulous timing, with the advent of the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings).
I shall wear it with pride on my future cruises.
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by glojo
From May 14 this year, P&O UK gives OBC to former/serving British Defence Force bods.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
891 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Really, how did you find that one out. My husband served 22 years and has never got any discount of any sort for anything in the UK.

He has got his veterans medal though when it first came out but has never worn it.
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by amajaa
Really, how did you find that one out. My husband served 22 years and has never got any discount of any sort for anything in the UK.

He has got his veterans medal though when it first came out but has never worn it.
Re Military OBC, look at P&O UK website, Q and A. I just applied for some for Aurora/Oriana next year re my British Army Service, 63-66.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

UK
891 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Thanks just looked that up - result. Do you know what the document is you have to get from the MOD is please and whereabouts do you get it from. He served from 66 to 88
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by amajaa
Thanks just looked that up - result. Do you know what the document is you have to get from the MOD is please and whereabouts do you get it from. He served from 66 to 88
He should have his 'red book' British Army Discharge book, just photo copy or scan that and send in.

I eventually got my Brit Forces OBC after some dramas as they did not want to pay us Colonials, former Poms who served in HM Forces in UK, as I did. I made reps to Carnival UK hierarchy and they helped me out, well done to them.

Good luck.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
He should have his 'red book' British Army Discharge book, just photo copy or scan that and send in.

I eventually got my Brit Forces OBC after some dramas as they did not want to pay us Colonials, former Poms who served in HM Forces in UK, as I did. I made reps to Carnival UK hierarchy and they helped me out, well done to them.

Good luck.
Attenshun on parade !! You ex Squaddies.....Thought I would bring up this post again. After P &O boss - David Dingle authorised my Brit Army military obc, for Aurora/Oriana in 2015, they moved the goal posts and you now have to be a UK Citizen/Resident to get British Military OBC on P&O UK, just serving in the Brit Forces is not good enough. So no chance with obc for Adonia next year. However Cunard were nice and gave me some for QM2 on March 2. (I served in both the British and Australian Armies in ye olden days.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Newport, South Wales, UK
2,641 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Attenshun on parade !! You ex Squaddies.....Thought I would bring up this post again. After P &O boss - David Dingle authorised my Brit Army military obc, for Aurora/Oriana in 2015, they moved the goal posts and you now have to be a UK Citizen/Resident to get British Military OBC on P&O UK, just serving in the Brit Forces is not good enough. So no chance with obc for Adonia next year. However Cunard were nice and gave me some for QM2 on March 2. (I served in both the British and Australian Armies in ye olden days.)
Cheap b'stards... 😡😡😡

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sea Princess - Caribbean Dream 3rd Jan 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 22nd Nov 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera 3rd Oct 2010
P&O Arcadia - Baltics 7th July 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Med 4th Nov 2011
Caribbean Princess - Norway & Iceland 20th July 2012
Celebrity Millennium - South East Asia 9th Dec 2012
Crown Princess - Mediterranean Medley 11th May 2013
Coral Princess - Alaska Northbound 28th Aug 2013
Emerald Princess - Canaries & Iberia 31st May 2014
Thomson Celebration - Best of the Black Sea 6th Oct 2014 - We cancelled due to Putin's ongoing KGB tactics in Ukraine.
Thomson Majesty - Aegean Delights 10th Oct 2014
Thomson Majesty - Adriatic Explorer 17th Oct 2014
Rhapsody of the Seas - Aegean 22nd June 2015
Explorer of the Seas - Middle East & Asia 23rd Oct 2015
Celebrity Millennium - Ultimate Japan & Hong Kong with Mt Fuji by Bullet Train 13th Oct 2016
Vision of the Seas - Dubai & Emirates 23rd Jan 2017
Crown Princess - Midnight Sun & Summer Solstice 17 Jun 2017
Crown Princess - Classic Canada & New England 4th Oct 2017
P&O Oriana - Canaries & Iberia 9th Mar 2018
Sapphire Princess - Spain & France 5th May 2018
Sun Princess - 5 Day NSW Tour and New Zealand 20th Nov 2018

Royal Princess - Western Caribbean 5th Jan 2019
Island Princess - Pacific Wine Country 24th April 2019

Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by newport dave
Cheap b'stards... 😡😡😡

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk
Indeed they are Dave. After all, we do share the same Queen.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
there will be no rewards for those uppity colonials old son.
Appears not Uncle Mic. Lucky we can take a reasonable supply of adult beverages on P&O UK - Adonia, in lieu of Military OBC. P&O gave us some generous early booking OBC though, buy a few bottles of plonk at dinner.

Maybe P&O UK consider me an upper middle class Chav. (UK equivalent of a upper middle Aussie Bogan? lol.

Rule Britannia - Charles for King !!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canberra Australia
42,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Appears not Uncle Mic. Lucky we can take a reasonable supply of adult beverages on P&O UK - Adonia, in lieu of Military OBC. P&O gave us some generous early booking OBC though, buy a few bottles of plonk at dinner.

Maybe P&O UK consider me an upper middle class Chav. (UK equivalent of a upper middle Aussie Bogan? lol.

Rule Britannia - Charles for King !!
Skip the lot and go straight to George the VII
Batehaven, Australia
11,320 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by MicCanberra
Skip the lot and go straight to George the VII
Ken Oath, Uncle Mic, I will go straight to Ken Oath.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature