Flying from the UK to Puerto Rico!

The Pub

Chit-Chatter about just about anything with other UK Cruisers!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:04 PM.
England
863 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
Hello fellow British cruisers!! Has anyone here flew to Puerto Rico for a cruise that starts from there? If so, did you book your flight through the cruise company or did you do it separately.

What were the costs like to get there ? Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past and present itineraries:

Allure of the Seas 16/Sep/2012 - Eastern Caribbean - Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten
Allure of the Seas 24/Aug/2014 - Western Caribbean - Labadee, Jamaica, Mexico
Allure of the Seas 31/Aug/2014 - Eastern Caribbean - Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten

Harmony of the Seas 24/Dec/2016 - Eastern Caribbean - St Maarten, San Juan, Labadee
Freedom of the Seas 31/Mar/2018 - Eastern Caribbean - St Kitts, St Maarten, San Juan, Labadee

Sussex, England
6,425 Posts
Joined Dec 2004
We flew BA to Miami and then swapped to AA down to San Juan.
On the way back we flew SJU to Philadelphia, spent a night there ( fabulous city by the way) and then flew home the next evening.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Celebrity Constellation 04/20 Suez Canal
RCI Anthem of the Seas 09/19 Canada and New England
RCI Jewel of the Seas 06/19 West Med
RCI Symphony of the Seas 09/18 Mediterranean
RCI Radiance of the Seas 06/18 Alaska

RCI Independence of the Seas 05/18 2n English Channel
RCI Navigator of the Seas 04/18 TransAtlantic

RCI x 29.
Celebrity x 10.
Azamara x 5.
NCL x 3.

MSC x 3.
Uniworld River Cruise x 1.
Windstar x 1.
Star Cruises x 1.
Cunard x 1.
Nord Deutsche Lloyd Hessenstein x 1.
P&O x 1.
Grimaldi Siosa x 1
London UK
570 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
The cheapest I've flown direct to PR was with Norwegian Air from Gatwick price at the time was under £500 and like the previous poster I have also done BA via Miami... which ever way you choose to fly I would recommend spending spending a few days pre or post cruise enjoying the island it has much to offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dave

Previous Cruises
Jewel of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean 06 December 2015
Jewel of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean 29 November 2015 (B2B)
Legend of the Seas 15 nights Panama Canal 17 March 2014
Majesty of the Seas 3 nights Bahamas 14 March 2014
Brilliance of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean 17 November 2012
Brilliance of the Seas 7 nights Southern Caribbean 10 November 2012 (B2B)
Norwegian Dawn 10 Nights Southern Caribbean 25 December 2011
Legend of the Seas 12 nights Greece and Eastern Med 07 July 2009
Brilliance of the Seas 12 days Mediterranean 17 June 2005
Canberra Australia
42,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
You may want to re-think going to PR as it has been devastated by the Hurricane. I imagine it will be some time before it gets some semblance of catering for tourists.
England
863 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
To be fair, I posted the original question in July.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Allure of the Seas 16/Sep/2012 - Eastern Caribbean - Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten
Allure of the Seas 31/Aug/2014 - Eastern Caribbean - Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten

Harmony of the Seas 24/Dec/2016 - Eastern Caribbean - St Maarten, San Juan, Labadee
Freedom of the Seas 31/Mar/2018 - Eastern Caribbean - St Kitts, St Maarten, San Juan, Labadee

Canberra Australia
42,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by rodenboy

Yes I realise that.
However, depending on when you planned to go next year, it will likely be a poorer experience now with all the devastation.
South Carolina
30,023 Posts
Joined Dec 2001
Certainly understand! Gosh, no way you could have known then what San Juan has experienced.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Sailing! OCruisers (LuLu & Roundman)
80+ Cruises .... Princess, Celebrity, RCCL, HAL, Carnival, NCL, Costa, etc. (Still miss Sitmar)
Canberra Australia
42,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
My point was that whatever was booked may need to be changed now while the TA and airlines have it fresh in their minds about the hurricane damage.
United Kingdom
2,281 Posts
Joined Jan 2016
Originally posted by MicCanberra
My point was that whatever was booked may need to be changed now while the TA and airlines have it fresh in their minds about the hurricane damage.

Most cruise companies don't know what they are planning in the next few week, let alone next year and I suspect the only way the OP could amend his booking would be to cancel and lose his deposit.

On the subject of PR, we flew over on a BA/AA combo from Heathrow via JFK, narrowly missing the airport closure in March this year by a few hours. We got very lucky. It certainly has made me now think twice about needing connecting flights for a cruise. Other guests flying via Miami weren't so lucky. Their flight was delayed and connection missed and had the night in Miami only just making the cruise start by a few hours. I'd never opt to use AA again.

Our flights were part of our package costing us £299 economy return. A no brainier not to use it. At the time, Norwegian and Virgin were the only airlines operating direct flights. I did look into the possibility of a San Juan start for next year also and Norwegian have now stopped. (They've just started a £149 service to Singapore which I'm personally thinking of utilising and having a short break there.)

What I learnt from my experience is if you deviate your plans through fear of missing your cruise because of severe weather, it's at your expense despite effectively saving your insurance company a fortune for a cancelled vacation.

Good luck on whatever you decide.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

England
863 Posts
Joined Jul 2013
I hadn't booked yet - all hypotheticals at this stage so thank you all for the advice

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Canberra Australia
42,539 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
I hadn't booked yet - all hypotheticals at this stage so thank you all for the advice

No worries, in that case, I would think about a cruise out of Florida instead, they will have changed any of the ports that are out of action and replaced them with others.