Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers! My sympathies to all those dealing with snow issues! We got lucky this time with only a mere dusting of the stuff.

Apparently parts of the UK and Europe did not fare as well. The army is being called in the UK and the Dutch are skating on the Prinsengracht canal in Amsterdam.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/britain-uk-army-doctor-severe-weather-snow-1.4560246

JP...hope your trip to Philly works out!

To lighten the mood and demonstrate compassion.....today's funny:

a7612d2c40ec2049eff9819d746e4ed4acf7b949e0d59ec5b61148999c5ed3ce.jpg

Stay warm and dry all!

Good Afternoon Coolers ...

M, the weather this time I think is a touch more complex. I suspect that in Canada when it snows it's pretty nearly always consistently below freezing. We had snow, sleet, a new phenomena called frozen rain and the added complication of freeze/thaw/freeze etc. And we have no routine infrastructure. We take the pee out of ourselves and pretend that a little causes a lot of disruption but this time is different imho.

Anyway our food delivery didn't arrive yesterday so I'm baking two loaves a day and living from freezer rations. Roast sirloin with etceteras. And Rioja gravy! :)

c16b81d76c7bd66d8add07398a856140.jpg

d2b20986da9e3269596a650c5f3e6707.jpg

18738d6c7f22f18113675d6e48075a1e.jpg

c77b732ff1297c04399e6a49efb8cee8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good morning.........getting a hair cut today........

To all those in that horrible storm.........be safe.

Jeff, is that a Prime Rib? It looks FANTASTIC:D

J...your meal looks delicious! YUM! We get a combination of precip just as you describe J. This winter in particular has been nasty that way. We've had snow followed immediately by freezing rain which sometimes turns to rain and sometimes turns back to snow. We have even had a thunderstorm in the middle of a snow storm this year. Fortunately we do have the infrastructure to deal with it but even then we sometimes struggle. I was not attempting to poke fun at anyone's snow crisis! Sorry if it came across that way. One year the city of Toronto called in help from our military. They don't typically get as much snow as we do here and they needed assistance.

Our most recent snow storm (last weekend) had 4” of snow followed by freezing rain, followed by more snow. This resulted in extremely high avalanche risks, limbs breaking off trees, from the weight of the snow and ice, taking out power lines, and very treacherous roads. The next day we had winds up to 100 km/hr, which knocked out even more power. Just saying. (However we do have three sources of heat, and natural gas for cooking, so we survive all this, and just carry on. We call it ‘weather’.).

We had a very moist front from the south collide with a very cold front from the arctic. As they pushed against each other the precipitation changed depending on which one was winning.

But I do feel bad for those who don’t have the infrastructure to deal with the snow. Stay home, stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by MLeh

J...your meal looks delicious! YUM!

Glad you liked it. I cooked the sirloin in my Airfryer again which is the perfect machine for a really succulent 40 day dry aged Aberdeen Angus joint! It's the second time I used the airfryer and it is a perct small convection oven.

I think Myster and you would really enjoy "Ugly Delicious" on Netflix if you can view it. I've watched the series three times now and as with many Netflix series it has allowed a director the luxury to evolve an idea over many many hours rather than the traditional one hour format we see on terrestial channels.

David Chang is a talented and inventive chef of North Korean heritage who has really thought about how the pursuit of tradition and "authenticity" in cooking has hampered and handcuffed good food. What he is musing about in the series is how much of different cuisines have in common rather than have as differences. So he compares ravioli with Chinese dumplings and different BBQ's ie the differences of Yakitori, Peking Duck and American BBQs and Korean BBQs. He argues that so much of the best food in the world comes from people traveling and adjusting their home foods to the new countries they find themselves in. He argues that the pursuit of rigid authenticity hampers many good cooks from using the best of local produce and from fusing the best ideas from each. It is a thought provoking series. The title is because he believes that there is a trend amongst diners to wish to have authentic home food coooking when they eat out which is the way his cuisine is moving and he calls good home cooking "Ugly Delicious". I think I realised that he was harvesting a seam in me for example when I make stuff like a cross between baklava and apple strudel all in one dish. When I first made it and started giving it to people to try - they said weird, but then delicious and thought it a logical progression. Now people ask me to make it. Or when I have crispy peking duck with mooli, grated carrot, red onbion and red peppers in the pancake rather than aneamic cucumber and spring onion. Or some of the "extreme" flatbreads I make in the pizza oven. These explorations always seemed tinged by a guilty feeling that I'm not being faithful to a tradition that I feel obligated to respect. The use of the word "authentic" perhaps should be banned ... That is what he is trying to question.

In a way his thoughts are liberating and his programme on pizza is a good example. Her compares the way that New York Italians brought with them Neapolitan Pizza but improved it and he talks about the rather daft protectionism the Neapolitans have tried to bring in to "protect" authentic Neapolitan pizza.

In a way I think what hampers so many people I see trying to cook is the over reliance on recipe and the lack of learning about underlying principles. You may remember some time back when we were passing back and forth ideas for Myster's bread and pizza dough making pursuits and I insisted he focussed on principles and for example how flour to water and oil hydration rates work and effect the finished result and how temperature and proving times effects breadmaking rather than simply following rigid recipes. When you understand underlying principles you can do anything and even invent. When you follow other peoples' recipes you are handcuffed and are simply trying reproduce and copy and never really understand what is causing what.

Anyway .... hope you have a look at the series. David's bad language is irritating but his ideas are provokative and fresh.

:)

Thanks so much J!!!! We'll do a search and see if we can find it. I'm very sure that Myster would be intrigued. He is becoming fearless in the kitchen and is attempting things I would not even consider trying with my deformed cooking skills. He finds recipes that appeal and then tweaks them. Our menu this week (while not too adventurous) will include fish tacos, potato and leek soup, chicken wings with blue cheese dip and a short rib meal. He plans to do a chicken and dumpling meal soon. He is a keeper! :)

Thanks so much J!!!! We'll do a search and see if we can find it. I'm very sure that Myster would be intrigued. He is becoming fearless in the kitchen and is attempting things I would not even consider trying with my deformed cooking skills. He finds recipes that appeal and then tweaks them. Our menu this week (while not too adventurous) will include fish tacos, potato and leek soup, chicken wings with blue cheese dip and a short rib meal. He plans to do a chicken and dumpling meal soon. He is a keeper! :)

Mysty: Same thing happened with my husband when he retired. The additional challenge he faces is that I am a celiac and gluten intolerant. So he spends weeks replicating a meal that is simple to create using wheat flour, but more of a challenge to make GF. His gravy (using a secret blend of gluten free flours) is indiscernible from the usual. Consequently, when we entertain, most of our guests don’t realize that everything -from turkey stuffing to gravy- is gluten free.

Unfortunately what also happened is since he’s taken on this challenge, I’ve gained a ton of weight. All my life I’ve been skinny as a result of IBS and other celiac complications. No longer! So now, when I eat out, and ask for gluten free, people sometimes presume it’s because I’m trying to lose weight (because of the popularity of GF diets supposedly for weight loss.). But I’m here to tell you that being gluten intolerant is what kept me skinny most of my life, and gluten free is actually quite fattening!

Mine’s a keeper too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by MLeh

That sounds really adventurous. I really hope you get him to Singapore for a food safari. So much to learn and things to experience.

I don't know whether my latest cheat might interest Myster on the dumpling front. Just as an experiment and out of interest I tried a packet of Paxo leek and onion stuffing mixed with bouillon rather than plain hot water with some extra breadcrumb and an egg and a touch of nutmeg and pepper. I shaped it into a large savaloy and boiled it in clingfilm. I then sliced it into rounds. It made the most wonderful and easy dumpling. This was with roast pork and crackling ...

200234421cef5c1d540ea0c2a90ebc24.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MLeh....I am gaining weight as well! I also was skinny. Of course, age is not my friend in this regard as my metabolism has slowed down. I am definitely eating better flavour-wise though! :) And mostly healthy-ish. And your husband sounds like a wonderful man and awesome chef!

J... Firstly, I found Ugly Delicious and dived into the first episode of Season One...PIZZA! Myster is taking a shower so I will lead him into it soon. I LOVE THIS SHOW! The sushi pizza was amazing! Thanks for suggesting the show!

Secondly...your dumpling idea is awesome! I think we would both really enjoy that! I will pass the suggestion on to Myster! Again, thank you!

That looks sooooooo good J! And something I am noticing as I watch the PIZZA show is a common characteristic of the adventurous chefs is a sense of rebellion against cooking "rules" . I think that is one of your characteristics as well. Very interesting!

Thanks M,

When that's very perceptive of you. I was listening to him I felt "At last ... a kindred spirit". I don't think it is rebellion for rebellion's sake. He is genuinely concerned about how creativity is stifled by those loudly saying "that isn't authentic".

For example in the episode about American pitmasters and BBQs he observes how few pitmasters say that their's is the right way, rather they say "this is my way". They realise that what maies each of them different is their journey to perfect by experimentation. They are all extremely open to learning from each other.

Compare that to the way that in the programme you just watched about how the Neapolitan's say "this is the only way and the correct way" of making pizza. But why would importing cheese and tomatos from across the other side of the world to New York produce a better pizza than that guy in New York who makes his own mozzarella?

Absolutely agree! And yes, not rebellion for the sake of rebellion. More a rebellion in an adventuresome experimental sense irrespective of rules. Just a recognition that veering off the path can produce amazing results.

I'd love to see the philosophy taken just one stage further. And that is the removal of the obligation to make things more difficult for yourself than they need be in the pursuit of presumed perfection.

He touches on it in the title ie let the food speak for itself ie Ugly Delicious. People are so overly obsessed with presentation and insufficinetly interested in taste. So in the end people become gullible and fooled into believing that what is arranged artisitcally is always tasty. SS have this down to an art. So that's why my heart sinks when I see home cooks try to ape what they see on TV and do it badly. They should concentrate on the plate.

Even more importantly only expend effort where you add genuine value and use your released time on what you can really add value to. If you can make a really great dumpling from adjusting a packet of Paxo, then why not? If you can use a really well prepared can of consommé as the basis of a Pho instead of boiling bones for hours why not? It is the destination that counts hot the route.

Who can really improve on Heinz baked beans or their cream of tomato soup? Why can't you use a half can of lobster bisque as the basis of a pasta seafood sauce?

Most of these philosophy adjustments involve unlearning dogmatic rules often imposed by those that have an interest in preserving the mystique of their profession.

I'd love to see the philosophy taken just one stage further. And that is the removal of the obligation to make things more difficult for yourself than they need be in the pursuit of presumed perfection.

Most of these philosophy adjustments involve unlearning dogmatic rules often imposed by those that have an interest in preserving the mystique of their profession.

I love your post! Myster is cooking for the 2 of us "comfortable old slippers". He doesn't even consider presentation. It is not his focus and neither is it mine. His willingness to step out and try is a gift to me. And he is more than willing to use "prepared ingredients" as long as they satisfy his intended result. And that means experimentation. :)

All this food chat is making me hungry and right now my oven and hob have died on me so it’s microwave and fryer food!

Jeff the paxo packet mix can be a good base for all sorts...l just add onion for a quick stuffing fix but your take looks delish.

All lucky ones to have someone cook for you....my late DH was hopeless as a cook but great at prepping and clearing up which l miss.

The dreaded white stuff is starting to melt.....it’s right that we don’t have the infrastructure to deal with our weather problems....and folk panic buying doesn’t help along with those who ignore the red alert warnings to stay off the roads then expect our already stretched emergency services to risk their lives to rescue!

Happy Day 😊

Good afternoon!

I agree S. I think there is too much apology and self-flage re our poor reaction to snow. Building in more response would bring howls when cash is taken away from other things. Also - fwiw re ovens ... I rarely use ours now but use the mini-oven and airfryers daily. I had a lovely note from Ocado this morning apologising for not delivering and giving me a £25 voucher! Happy days!

Our snow has virtually dissapeared and today is roast sirloin left from yesterday warmed in gravy with the same etceteras.

Greetings Coolers! Dusting of snow overnight and temperature drop.

On the issue of infrastructure to deal with winter the costs involved are high here. Our city has an metro area of 5,716.00 sq km (2,206.96 sq mi). Our metro population in 2016 was 1,323,783. Our winter operations budget for 2018 is $68.3 million We consistently run a deficit for winter operations (currently sitting at $10 million).

Here is a picture of one of the army of snow removal equipment used here:

2320319.jpg?size=640x420

This is not the kind of expenditure you want for places that don't get substantial amounts of snow very frequently. :)

Miss S, totally agree with the sensible approach to snow. Stay home unless it is a real emergency and use some common sense (although common sense does seem in short supply these days).

J....Glad to hear that your missed grocery delivery received an apology and a nice coupon!

Have a great day all!

That article is a wonderful read! I love this guy! Thanks for posting it J!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. I baked today and will take it to the office tomorrow......I had some over ripe

bananas and found a really good recipe on line (where else LOL).......it may sound a bit odd but I love the main ingredients....

It is an apple/banana/peanut butter bread........(not cake) but a bread. It just came out of the oven and it looks really good........

hoping it tastes that way too.:) I have not tried it.........will let my co-workers dig in;)

Hi coolers,

Busy flurry of activity this weekend, compressed into less than 36 hours!

We did not drive on Friday night other than to dinner at a new place near our house. Well-fed and watered, we hunkered down in the hot tub with some wine and watched the snow outside rather than try to drive 4 hours in it.

Yesterday morning we were up early and out before 8AM. It took about 3h20 to get to Chris's Dad and then we had a short visit before lunch (we met one of the friends we cruised with last year, who lives a few minutes from there). After another stop by Chris's Dad's place we headed to our hotel in Wayne (Pennsylvania) - another hour plus away.

We had some time for a nice brisk walk after all that sitting, then we had a light early dinner at a nearby pub before catching a movie. Afterwards, a snack and some wine. Then finally some sleep!

This morning we had to get up and go to the local produce market to stock up. This place is worth the trip. The selections and prices can't be beat. Then it was time for the 4 hour drive home. We stopped off at a Bavarian restaurant in the Catskills for lunch and I had a delicious Schweinshaxe. We made it home a few hours ago.

Time to relax in the hot tub again after that ordeal! But we have some nice vegetables which should last us for the next 10 days until we leave for Australia!

Jeff, as already discussed, I don't follow recipes most of the time either - for cooking. There is a time and a place for tradition too, though. But it is rare that something can't be improved.

I was surprised to read a book by Jaques Pepin once, where he advocates using shortcuts and prepared ingredients at times. I didn't expect that.

Morning all, snow has completely disappeared and we are basking in a balmy 9 degrees here - centigrade that is. We are so lucky not to have either frozen pipes, a broken boiler or water cuts, as many now have.

Saturday was spent making wheaten bread - TTS will know this as it is an Irish favourite. So easy, no yeast, no kneading, no proving, buttermilk and bicarb of soda are the raising agents. Just mix, straight in the oven then devour, scrummy with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Rp

Saturday was spent making wheaten bread - TTS will know this as it is an Irish favourite.

Rp

My maternal grandmother made the most wonderful wheaten bannock. Somehow she managed to make it lighter than the standard Ormeau bakery stuff so it absorbed more butter when toasted. Mmmm. I really miss that along with taytie farls and soda bread (which, even though I've lost my accent, still comes out as sodee braid)

My paternal grandmother died when I was about 5 years old and one of my few memories of her is going with her to the bakers on the Shankill where she bought her bread and I would always get treated to a bun with coloured icing on top. And in the winter we would toast bread on a fork over the peat fire - I seem to remember the toast tasted mainly of peat smoke.

You can get these 3 breads now in mainland supermarkets but it's not the same, somehow.