Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Four

CCHelp

Ha Ha Ha!!!! J... I love your wit! JP is getting a beautiful new floor and I made an attempt at a joke that fell flatter than a pancake! Miscommunication can result in much head-scratching! :)

Well, I am just a wimp:eek:......I couldn't do this MRI either:(.............oh well.........I will either have the Dr write me a script for Xanax and try again or I will just take a breath and just leave it alone.........(2nd option sounds better right now).

Ha, yes. Mysty has it half right. My floor is real. It's part# 121G at O'Reilly which is imaginary. And, her joke wasn't that flat, I just didn't recognize it! Typical Canadian...taking all the blame. ;););) (mysty, that last part is a joke)

Lois, so sorry to hear that! Claustrophobia (or in my case, fear of heights) is one of those things that you're either wired to have, or not have. No wimpiness about it. There will be a way to get this done, I am sure. But don't beat yourself up about it.

Lois, so sorry to hear that! Claustrophobia (or in my case, fear of heights) is one of those things that you're either wired to have, or not have. No wimpiness about it. There will be a way to get this done, I am sure. But don't beat yourself up about it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement:) to be honest, I am NOT normally claustrophobic at all!!!! No beating myself up:)........a week from tomorrow I go to Disney for my birthday weekend so will just look forward to that trip:) and we have all our dinner reservations made..........

Love the food part of trips:)

Jeffers.....today is International Women’s Day.......they have renamed Manchester to Womanchester for the day....how cool is that! 😉

The cottage pie came out top of the poll for pie of the week...quite wrong to call it a pie as such as it has no pastry!

I’m sure the ‘old geezer’ wouldn’t appreciate a pair of my thermal bloomers landing at his feet...😳

Such trivia to start the day off! 😊

Re the earlier comments about extra screening and no boarding pass.

Arrived Newcastle, and was told I had been selected for an extra check. They the issued me with boarding passes.

Arrived LHR, went to the AA pre-screen at T5 and we were probably the quickest process of the morning? Curious.

As an aside, from Gate arrival at T5, to AA pre-screen, bus to T3, more security and into the AA Lounge by 10:00am. 45 minutes in total!!! Waiting for the punch line / catch as the flight appears to be on time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike ..... good news .... safe and happy travels!

Jeffers.....today is International Women’s Day.......they have renamed Manchester to Womanchester for the day....how cool is that!

The cottage pie came out top of the poll for pie of the week...quite wrong to call it a pie as such as it has no pastry!

I’m sure the ‘old geezer’ wouldn’t appreciate a pair of my thermal bloomers landing at his feet...

Such trivia to start the day off!

S, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I am getting fed up with all this business.

I have begun to feel that I have done something wrong by simply being born a male and that I somehow share some collective responsibility for doing things I have not done. This bandwagon has got way out of hand. :eek:

I also think it tremendously harmful that the term "feminist" and "feminism" has been hijacked by an extreme group of females many who seem to me are most certainly not feminists. Feminists are imho simply people of both sexes that think that females should be treated in the same way and as equals to males. :)

S, I hope this isn't taken the wrong way but I am getting fed up with all this business.

I have begun to feel that I have done something wrong by simply being born a male and that I somehow share some collective responsibility for doing things I have not done. This bandwagon has got way out of hand. :eek:

I also think it tremendously harmful that the term "feminist" and "feminism" has been hijacked by an extreme group of females many who seem to me are most certainly not feminists. Feminists are imho simply people of both sexes that think that females should be treated in the same way and as equals to males. :)

Jeff, sometimes we disagree but on this we are in total agreement.

I have taught my now adult sons to respect women, in fact I think my eldest is more of a feminist then I am, however I worry about the guilt that sensitive males are made to feel. I now claim to be a humanist because I want to make us all equal based on merit not gender.

Sorry about my rant for the day.;p

We are off to Singapore soon for six days to catch up with friends. We have also been there a few times and really enjoy Singapore. We are catching up with friends who are getting of a cruise and will stay for a few days. They haven't been for over 10 years but weren't to keen on it then but we have convinced them to give it another chance. Hopefully we can show them the good things about Singapore.

Julie

Hi Julie,

I think many men feel quite bewildered by what feels like almost an avalanche of hatred from a noisy band of people who seem constantly to be applauded perhaps through fear of appearing unsympathetic. Men finding women attractive and vice versa is what makes the world go around and none of us would be here today without that basic concept. :)

We have just completed our booking for Singapore for next January for our regular three weeks which have now been cut down from three to one visit per year. It is to us one of the most extraordinary and loveliest of places that changes so quickly and for us started off simply as a stopover on the way to Oz, but soon replaced Oz and became the destination. We always feel that where we live is cultured but I am so envious of those that live in Singapore. Hope you and your friends enjoy yourselves.

Re the earlier comments about extra screening and no boarding pass.

Arrived Newcastle, and was told I had been selected for an extra check. They the issued me with boarding passes.

Arrived LHR, went to the AA pre-screen at T5 and we were probably the quickest process of the morning? Curious.

As an aside, from Gate arrival at T5, to AA pre-screen, bus to T3, more security and into the AA Lounge by 10:00am. 45 minutes in total!!! Waiting for the punch line / catch as the flight appears to be on time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glad it's going smoothly, hope it stays that way. Check your boarding pass - if it has SSSS on the top left corner, you may have another search at the gate. If not, you're all clear!

PS So sad that the AA lounge at T3 no longer does bacon baps, they were the best.

Mike ..... good news .... safe and happy travels!

Hit a hot button, J.

When things are equal I will happily give up the concept of International Women’s Day.

Until girls have equal access to schooling, jobs, and self determination throughout the world, and are not forced into marriage with men many years older once they reach a certain physical milestone, I will support International Women’s Day.

I too promote the concept of ‘equal’. It’s simple: treat everyone the same. Ask yourself “would I say/act this way towards this woman if they were a man?” But also “am I treating this man differently than I would a woman?”

We also need to give men the opportunity to explore their feminine (so called) side. Men who choose to be child readers need to be accepted in that role without it meaning that they are less than ‘real’ men. Part of the problem is that women are encouraged to be ‘more like men’ but the opposite isn’t true.

Example: Why is it a big deal when men can cook, but women cooking is taken for granted? Whereas a woman who can’t cook is somehow some sort of an aberration to the ‘norm’, it is perfectly acceptable in a male?

I’ll get off my soapbox now.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Greetings Coolers! More snow today. :(

As MLeh gets off the soapbox I will step up on it. I echo MLeh's thoughts. Ignoring the labels for the moment (be it feminism or humanism), this article entitled "Not all men are guilty of violence and sexism – but all men have a responsibility to stop those crimes" might prove a little enlightening. It was written by Chris Hemmings and was published in The Telegraph UK.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/not-men-guilty-violence-sexism-men-have-responsibility-stop/

Some bits from the article:

"Well, men, as an homogenous mass, are increasingly being called out for their behaviour and blamed for causing the mental and physical suffering of various different sections of society. As such, many men now feel they are being unfairly targeted simply for being male.

While it’s perfectly obvious that not all men are sexist, it would be absurd to suggest sexism isn’t a mostly-male pursuit. Equally, it’s true that not all men are violent, but in the same breath almost 90pc of violent crimes are carried out by men. And, sure, not all men are rapists, but almost 97pc of sexual assaults have a male perpetrator.

It’s time we take collective responsibility for how our social engineering is encouraging these problems. It’s time we take collective responsibility for building up well-rounded, emotionally intelligent, empathetic young men. And it’s time we take collective responsibility for the future – by educating young boys that they can be different."

On a humourous note ....this is my current mood:

snowman.jpg

Have a great day all!

Sadly, by lumping ''men'' into an amorphous group, those who condemn men for the actions of a few are being as sexist as the leering redneck who judges women by the size of their chesticles.

While those of us fortunate enough to live in the developed world have the luxury of deriding those seeking equality of opportunity for women (and many other people grouped by either their physical or emotional make-up) we really need to be cognisant of the patriarchy that represses women over much of the globe. I, too, find these strident feminists bewildering with their often contradictory messages but that shouldn't blind us to the gross injustices that exist throughout the human diaspora.

Sadly, by lumping ''men'' into an amorphous group, those who condemn men for the actions of a few are being as sexist as the leering redneck who judges women by the size of their chesticles.

Exactly. And be calling themselves feminists they harm feminism. It seems to have become a virtue signalling bandwagon.

I've expressed my views before about how uncomfortable I am about the use of the word "Butler" and it's historical connotations with slavery, particularly in the environment of a person on extremely low earnings is used (exploited?) as a low-paid "servant" to satisfy the whims of the rich clientele of an expensive cruise line. It therefore seems particularly ironic to me that some who think that this is perfectly OK - and that those people shouldn't be tipped because the tip is already included in the fare, but they are however energised and angry only when the person is female and is being exploited elsewhere in the world and preferably by people other than themsleves. :confused:

Just saying ....:)

If I may beard the lion in his/her den....."Butler" in the situation you describe is a label or job title. There are associated job functions. It may have historical connotations and in my opinion those are not the current associations for many people. As far as the tipping issue is concerned, many in Europe do not tip at all. Even low-paid waiters are not tipped. This does not really reflect people's attitudes to the value of the service provided. Suggesting that not tipping a "Butler" means that people consider them low-paid slaves is not the case (IMHO).

Feminist is another label. There are feminists of both sexes. Some of them are militant. Most of them are not. Much like declared fans of sport teams, some of whom are rabid, most of them not. Would you label all fans of sport teams as rabid? Probably not. And yet I get the impression that you think that all Feminists are shrews screaming about perceived (but not real?) injustices.

Labels sometimes do more harm than good.

Exactly. And be calling themselves feminists they harm feminism. It seems to have become a virtue signalling bandwagon.

I've expressed my views before about how uncomfortable I am about the use of the word "Butler" and it's historical connotations with slavery, particularly in the environment of a person on extremely low earnings is used (exploited?) as a low-paid "servant" to satisfy the whims of the rich clientele of an expensive cruise line. It therefore seems particularly ironic to me that some who think that this is perfectly OK - and that those people shouldn't be tipped because the tip is already included in the fare, but they are however energised and angry only when the person is female and is being exploited elsewhere in the world and preferably by people other than themsleves. :confused:

Just saying ....:)

Nothing irritates me more than a passive aggressive with these petty little snipe swipes.

M,

I'm sorry but that really doesn't imho wash

The topic I raise isn't about labels but is about the inconsistancies thrown up by (unintended) hypocrisy. Every time you buy a product because it is cheaper and it is cheaper because the person producing it or providing it is being exploited, you are supporting the exploitation even if you justify it in some way or other. To enjoy the fruits of exploitation in one environment but then lecture against it in another is inconsistent.

Nothing irritates me more than a passive aggressive with these petty little snipe swipes.

I'm sorry that you've taken that tone. There is nothing aggressive or petty about my point. Perhaps it is irriitating becuse it is correct. You decided to lecture me and I simply repeated two points that you have made that seem to me to be in conflict and hypocritical.

You are entitled to object to the point I made but it would be better if you simply stated why. It is possible to disagree and to say why without being rude.

Jeff...did you take a grumpy pill today? :) I don't get why supporting the cause of justice and equality for women everywhere and not tipping service staff on a cruise line where they've stated that tips are included in the fare is hypocritical.