Finding a Luxury Cruise That Fits

LauraS

That there are 37 varieties of Gin on board a ship with predominantly German speaking passengers perhaps suggests that appreciation of the spirit is not confined to the UK.

In fact, I think the spirit's origins lie with the Dutch Genever.

The Europa 2 carries over 250 varieties of spirits, and over 450 varieties of wine (19,000 bottles).

I have posted the following video before, so apologies to anyone who has already seen it.

Surely they could carry all that alcohol AND be all inclusive.

While I do like the fact that Viking Ocean does not allow children under 18, the four major luxury ships do (Crystal, Regent, Seabourn and Silversea), when school is in session, there are usually no children onboard. The most children that we have been onboard during these times is 3.

Agree with wishIweretravelling about the menu. What I posted from the MDR is the portion of the menu that does not change. The lunch menu does change frequently -- what you see is a sample. I also didn't mention that on Regent's newest ship - Explorer - two specialty restaurants alternate being open for lunch and the MDR is closed.

Toryhere - I want to respond to one comment you made: "A staff member explained that the menu was designed to match the taste of the well travelled and well off Americans who were the lines best customers."

People in the U.S. and Canada are not necessarily "well off" nor are we necessarily the "best customers". However, we do represent about 80% of Regent passengers which is why they prepare food that would meet the tastes of most North Americans.

I certainly didn’t want to give the impression that all North Americans are well off. But the American customers that the staff member on Voyager was referring to were the well off Americans.

If the North Americans are 80% of their customers then I assume they are the “best customers” ie the ones they want to take care of.

This all brings to mind a question. Do you think that a lot of people who cruise or voyage do so because they can see a bit of a few foreign countries whilst taking a lot of their own culture with them?

That is debatable. If you take a premium cruise line - add in tips, cocktails, excursions and Business Class air, on some Regent itineraries, the fare is the same or perhaps slightly more. As an example, the airfare alone for our cruise in less than two weeks (Vancouver, British Columbia to Bali - Business Class - is $8,500). Regent gave a $12K credit for those of us that want to book our own air so I saved some money. We are flying Cathay Pacific which in our opinion is a great airline.

Also, In my opinion, sailing on Europa II is moving outside of the comfort zone for most people in North America. Between the family welcoming atmosphere, nog being inclusive and having the majority of the guests speaking German - it isn't for everyone.

Regent passengers can afford business class airfares to built into their fares and aren’t well off?

Surely they could carry all that alcohol AND be all inclusive.

At what price?

As Hapag-Lloyd states ---- if it went all inclusive the selection of wines, and spirits, would have to be drastically reduced.

What is the most expensive wine or spirit you have seen on one of the four inclusive luxury lines?

Regent passengers can afford business class airfares to built into their fares and aren’t well off?

Regent also offers an "air credit" if you decline their included air. It often is a substantial amount. Many of us frequently take the credit and arrange our own flights.

I started sailing Regent when I was cruising solo, and its then-low solo supplement made it the most economical option out there. I became hooked and so, while I use other lines as well, Regent tends to be my go-to line. I mostly go with a friend now, so the single supplement is no longer a factor, which is good because it's only rarely low now.

But, if you do a realistic value calculation, looking honestly at what you spend on non-inclusive lines, you may find that the costs are more or less equivalent. If you don't have to pay for every bottle of water or wine, have most of your excursions pre-paid, don't pay for specialty restaurants, don't pay extra for a balcony, don't have shops that tempt you, don't need to tip, etc., the hidden costs don't mount up.

Re the current discussion, I guess a lot depends on what you call "well off." Arguably, you have to be somewhere on the well-off spectrum to cruise at all. Income is really never a topic onboard the ship, so I can't speak for other passengers. (There is the occasional show-off, as there is in any setting, but by and large people are just people.) I know that I am not impoverished, but I also am not wealthy. Years ago, I started a separate vacation account to which I regularly contributed, and when I retired my broker/advisor helped me account for travel, including cruises, in my financial planning. With budgeting, not otherwise live above one's means, and learning a few tricks to achieve value, I find that lines like Regent make sense for those of us "in the middle."

I started cruising with, as it was then, Radisson Seven Seas on the Diamond which, with it's unique design, still remains one of my favourite ships.

I cannot remember if it was the Mariner or Voyager we were on in 2006 in San Francisco when the change of name to Regent Seven Seas took place.

I started cruising with, as it was then, Radisson Seven Seas on the Diamond which, with it's unique design, still remains one of my favourite ships.

I cannot remember if it was the Mariner or Voyager we were on in 2006 in San Francisco when the change of name to Regent Seven Seas took place.

It was Radisson when I started too--on the Song of Flower. Which, though it sailed into the sunset (or at least to another cruise line) in 2003, remains my all-time favorite.

Regent also offers an "air credit" if you decline their included air. It often is a substantial amount. Many of us frequently take the credit and arrange our own flights.

I started sailing Regent when I was cruising solo, and its then-low solo supplement made it the most economical option out there. I became hooked and so, while I use other lines as well, Regent tends to be my go-to line. I mostly go with a friend now, so the single supplement is no longer a factor, which is good because it's only rarely low now.

But, if you do a realistic value calculation, looking honestly at what you spend on non-inclusive lines, you may find that the costs are more or less equivalent. If you don't have to pay for every bottle of water or wine, have most of your excursions pre-paid, don't pay for specialty restaurants, don't pay extra for a balcony, don't have shops that tempt you, don't need to tip, etc., the hidden costs don't mount up.

Re the current discussion, I guess a lot depends on what you call "well off." Arguably, you have to be somewhere on the well-off spectrum to cruise at all. Income is really never a topic onboard the ship, so I can't speak for other passengers. (There is the occasional show-off, as there is in any setting, but by and large people are just people.) I know that I am not impoverished, but I also am not wealthy. Years ago, I started a separate vacation account to which I regularly contributed, and when I retired my broker/advisor helped me account for travel, including cruises, in my financial planning. With budgeting, not otherwise live above one's means, and learning a few tricks to achieve value, I find that lines like Regent make sense for those of us "in the middle."

I recently read an article on line comparing a mass market line and Regent for price on an Alaskan ship. Once you took into account all the money you had to pay on the mass market ship for things that were included on Regent, the difference between the two was not so much. The fares were doublle on Regent, but that was all you had to pay.

We don’t consider ourselves wealthy or well off, but we are what my mother would call comfortable. It’s definitely relative because I know a lot of people who probably would consider us wealthy.

We just have certain things we spend money on and others we don’t. We live in a tiny house on a tiny lot in a decent but certainly not upscale neighborhood, but we travel well [emoji16] Priorities!

We also planned travel into our retirement considerations. As far as being on the well off spectrum to cruise, judging by my reading of all sorts of cruise related chat, I am constantly amazed at the hoops some people jump through to pay for their cruises - sometimes to detriment of things they probably should be spending their money on. But I figure as long as they aren’t asking me for money, I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We don’t consider ourselves wealthy or well off, but we are what my mother would call comfortable. It’s definitely relative because I know a lot of people who probably would consider us wealthy.

We just have certain things we spend money on and others we don’t. We live in a tiny house on a tiny lot in a decent but certainly not upscale neighborhood, but we travel well [emoji16] Priorities!

We also planned travel into our retirement considerations. As far as being on the well off spectrum to cruise, judging by my reading of all sorts of cruise related chat, I am constantly amazed at the hoops some people jump through to pay for their cruises - sometimes to detriment of things they probably should be spending their money on. But I figure as long as they aren’t asking me for money, I’m good.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Once again, I am in complete agreement!