halifax

st johns

bar harbor

prefer to do my own tours rather than ship tours

all ideas will be greatly appreciated

if anyone is on the rccl adventure sailing

on 6-1-2018

and would like to join in our own group plese advise

I'm from St. John's, what interests you? The Rooms museum, Johnson Geo Centre, Signal Hill (to visit or a great walking trail), Cape Spear is the most easterly point in North America, the Fluvarium, walking tour downtown, traditional fish and chips, etc. hopefully you get in and the weather is ok, June is a very hit or miss time in St. John's. I'm assuming you are going to St. John's, Newfoundland and not Saint John, New Brunswick.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

hi looking for suggestions what to do in

halifax

st johns

bar harbor

on 6-1-2018

If you decide and want to book tours...this is what we did and it was just amazing...booked two of these with our rollcall.

Halifax......Halifax Titanic Historical Tour (Paul McNeil)

St John's (New Brunswick).....Dave's Taxi Tours

Bar Harbor.....Acadia National Park Tour (booked directly with them online)

The fall of 2017 we were on a B2B2B series of cruises. The first two legs were slightly different Canada/New England itineraries. Since my husband and I both love seafood we started having lobster rolls at every port. On our first leg we thought that the lobster roll at Goldwater Seafoods in Halifax (located in the Seaport Farmer's Market with an entrance from the exterior of the building) was the best. On the second leg we again had a lobster roll at Goldwater Seafoods, and thought it again was the best we had during both first and second legs.

We used Roys Tours in Saint John in September 2017

roystours.webs.com

Roy was very friendly and seemed to know everyone in town. He was very enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the area and took us to many different locations:

- on top of a hill that has the big Saint Johnsign where we could look down upon our ship in the harbor

- the International Market (tried seaweed – I donot recommend it)

- the Moosehead Brewery (not a brewery tour, onlyto look at the stuffed moose and a display there)

- the Reversing Rapids (rushing out in the morningand rushing back in on the return to the ship)

- visited Carleton Martello Tower (a defense fortbuilt for the war of 1812)

- stopped at several local areas around Saint Johnand St. Martins

- walked on the floor of the Bay of Fundy and wentinto the caves

- stopped at the Caves Restaurant for lunch.

It was a great price for an all-day tour. Comparing it tothe ship’s excursions, it was a lot less money and we basically saw more than anysingle organized shore excursion for the ship.

The only downside was getting in and out of the van. The leftside door wasn’t working so we all had to climb in and out on the passengerside. It was a little awkward climbing in and out for the 3 people who sat inthe back especially since we did a lot of hopping in and out throughout thetour and it seemed that the air conditioner wasn’t working at full capacity

These issues are probably fixed now but thought you might want to address them with Roy if you decide on his tour.

Edited by cvschmitt
spacing issues

halifax

st johns

bar harbor

on 6-1-2018

I'm on this cruise. Just starting to look at ideas. We have been to these ports before so we are actually looking to do independent food tours in all these ports?

halifax

st johns

bar harbor

When we were in Halifax we enjoyed walking to the Citadel, having lunch at Your Father's Mustache, and walking around the Public Garden. There's lots to do there, but many also recommend renting a vehicle and driving to Peggy's Cove.

I'm going to assume you mean Saint John, NB based on the other ports. We did a fabulous Kayak trip through Princess with a photo stop at the reversing rapids and lobster lunch on the beach following the roughly 2 miles of kayaking. It was a ship tour, but well done and worth it to us.

We haven't been to Bar Harbor, so I can't offer any advice there.

In Bar Harbor, we have a 4 hour tour of Acadia National Park and Cadillac Mt booked with Oli's Trolley. Have read good things about them in this forum. Price for the tour we chose was significantly less than a similar tour offered in the Cruise Planner.

Hopefully we'll actually make it into port. Never know with tenders.

https://olistrolley.com

Edited by hapster85
Forgot to include a link.

It depends on whether you want to do an organized tour or not. Walking along the boardwalk is great in Halifax, lots to look at and places like the maritime museum are there. Then I'd go up the the citadel for a visit, and then make my way over to the public gardens and then walk down spring garden road. Lots of nice little eateries on argyle street too

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

For Bar Harbor, I was looking at either going to Arcadia or doing the Lulu Lobsterboat- which is from either 10am or 1 pm (runs two hours). Ship leaves at 5- would it be better to do Arcadia first or perhaps skip the lobster boat tour?

• 3 weeks later...