Carnival Cruise Line Tweaks 'Faster to the Fun' Pricing

LauraS

Waiting for my zone number to be called to get on or buying FTTF, long buffet lines on embarkation day or short lines on port days, waiting for tenders or standing in line to get back on, slow service at dinner or fast service at dinner... it seems I eventually get on and off, am able to eat more than my fill, and before you know it, my cruise is a three month old memory. Waiting 5 or 10 minutes here and there really is a very small price to pay for me, and I never really remember that part anyway, unless I had a good conversation with someone while I was waiting for something.

It is not greed. The increase is to thin the herd. So many people get it for free are now sailing so the paid line cutters have to be reduced. Rather than seeing a sold out sign, you will see availability albeit at a higher price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

Can you point out where Carnival has stated it will reduce the number of 'paid line cutters'. Not sure I understand how raising the price would reduce the FTTF slots. If true that is great news for those that earned the perks.

I frankly don't care that they sell it, just was annoying and wrong when FTTF people go ahead of P&D. Long Beach was known for this but hopefully that has changed with the renovation.

They're raising the price on an OPTIONAL service. I don't see why some are getting their panties in a wad. Just don't buy it. We used to buy it when we first started cruising, when it was $39.95. I guess it was worth it then, but with the price increase and now staggered check-in, it has little value to us. We are ALL going to get on the same ship, people. Just have some patience.

Can you point out where Carnival has stated it will reduce the number of 'paid line cutters'. Not sure I understand how raising the price would reduce the FTTF slots. If true that is great news for those that earned the perks.

I frankly don't care that they sell it, just was annoying and wrong when FTTF people go ahead of P&D. Long Beach was known for this but hopefully that has changed with the renovation.

FTTF holders do not board ahead of P&D.

This is the type of corporate greed that gets me and yet people encourage it by paying the price asked.

Unfortunate this goes along with everything these days and is only going to get worse. People need to stop in my opinion.

I agree, stop paying the price. All it takes is people to skip even a cruise and let ships take a hit. The people up top don't appreciate what they get.

It might not be available at any price much longer. The maturity of the Carnival brand means a higher number of high level loyalty passengers on each sailing. When there are enough to max out the priority perks, they won’t offer them as an optional fee for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

"Greed, for lack of a better word, is good." Corporations should want to make money for the services they provide. If they don't, they go out of business. And no cruise for you. Carnival hasn't raised prices on this service in two years. Demand is high.

Most land-based resorts raise their prices an average of 5% a year due to rising operating costs and the money that goes into renovations of the property. A cruise ship is no different. In this instance, they are finding creative ways to actually keep costs down for the general ship population by finding a certain group wishing to pay an extra fee. That's actually kind of smart and generous toward those who won't purchase it.

Also, at no expense whatsoever to Carnival. It’s a brilliant money maker and I’m all for anything that will help keep the cost of a cruise affordable. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it.

Doesn't happen in Florida and I highly doubt Carnival would call FTTF to board before P & D in Long Beach.

Your doubt about LB is again absolutely incorrect. For years ALL FTTF and P&D have been in one group lining up to get into the LB terminal to board with NO separation. It shouldn't be an issue now as they just renovated LB terminal and have much more real estate inside the terminal to handle boarding groups.

I don't think fttf should get on and off the ship the same time as Diamond. I've had them push their way past me to get on and off the ship before me, so rude. I paid a lot of money to become Diamond now I feel like I don't count for anything.
If anyone pushes past you to get on or off the ship, as you claim, it has nothing to do with their FTTF status. If true, it's just because they're rude people. Carnival allows people to buy a service that provides them some of the same perks as Diamond/Platinum. You're just going to have to get over it. It's not unique to Carnival.

It is not greed. The increase is to thin the herd. So many people get it for free are now sailing so the paid line cutters have to be reduced. Rather than seeing a sold out sign, you will see availability albeit at a higher price.
First off, FTTF passengers are not "paid line cutters." Yes, they paid for the perks, but Carnival allows them priority boarding. That's not cutting in line. And no, it's not to thin the herd. They fully intend to continue to sell out FTTF slots. If this new price point happens to chase enough people away to the point it no longer sells out, they'll simply lower it just enough to reach the point where it does sell out again.

I have to laugh at all of the platinum/diamond cruisers who are always so butt-hurt by FTTF cruisers. You accumulated enough VIFP points to earn some perks. Good for you. Carnival simply provides a way for people who haven't reached that point yet, or may never reach that point, to enjoy some of the same perks, for a fee of course. It's a win win...passengers get to enjoy the perks and Carnival makes some extra revenue. You take your misguided frustrations out on those who simply take advantage of a perks package offered by Carnival. If it really upsets you that much, blame Carnival for selling it.

Also, at no expense whatsoever to Carnival. It’s a brilliant money maker and I’m all for anything that will help keep the cost of a cruise affordable. If you don’t like the price, don’t buy it.
People keep saying FTTF is at "no expense" to Carnival or "100% pure profit." This simply isn't true. FTTF is a service and all services have overhead expenses, just like producing a product. Shuffling around manpower to provide said service and possibly adding additional manpower at times to meet the demand of the service. These things cost companies money. While I agree that it's extra revenue for Carnival with minimal overhead, there is always an expense involved. Edited by Organized Chaos

Frankly...I could careless. I am Platinum and I get my priority boarding, FTTF passengers haven't made it any more difficult....I never have a line for the rare occurences I need to use Guest Services, Tendering is never an issue, and disembarkation isn't an issue as Platinum has priority anyway. I don't get why everyone is upset. Hey if people want to pay $90 ...its their money...go for it. I love how everyone bitches and complains over an issue they have no control over.... Carnival has made a decision. Live with it or cruise elsewhere...simple as that!!

It might not be available at any price much longer. The maturity of the Carnival brand means a higher number of high level loyalty passengers on each sailing. When there are enough to max out the priority perks, they won’t offer them as an optional fee for others.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Except that from the looks of it one of the "perks" has been removed from the loyalty program and yet still being given to those who pay.

I always buy FTTF. To me it is worth not standing in line at Guest Services. That to me is wasted vacation time. What I find worth paying extra for, may not be what others find "worth it". I'm not a drinker & a fairly picky eater, so the extra cost of the Chefs Table is a waste of my money. I'm not going to start a thread on the high cost & probably cost hikes over the years. Enjoy & pay, and I'll do the same.

:) Bobbi

If anyone pushes past you to get on or off the ship, as you claim, it has nothing to do with their FTTF status. If true, it's just because they're rude people. Carnival allows people to buy a service that provides them some of the same perks as Diamond/Platinum. You're just going to have to get over it. It's not unique to Carnival.

First off, FTTF passengers are not "paid line cutters." Yes, they paid for the perks, but Carnival allows them priority boarding. That's not cutting in line. And no, it's not to thin the herd. They fully intend to continue to sell out FTTF slots. If this new price point happens to chase enough people away to the point it no longer sells out, they'll simply lower it just enough to reach the point where it does sell out again.

I have to laugh at all of the platinum/diamond cruisers who are always so butt-hurt by FTTF cruisers. You accumulated enough VIFP points to earn some perks. Good for you. Carnival simply provides a way for people who haven't reached that point yet, or may never reach that point, to enjoy some of the same perks, for a fee of course. It's a win win...passengers get to enjoy the perks and Carnival makes some extra revenue. You take your misguided frustrations out on those who simply take advantage of a perks package offered by Carnival. If it really upsets you that much, blame Carnival for selling it.

People keep saying FTTF is at "no expense" to Carnival or "100% pure profit." This simply isn't true. FTTF is a service and all services have overhead expenses, just like producing a product. Shuffling around manpower to provide said service and possibly adding additional manpower at times to meet the demand of the service. These things cost companies money. While I agree that it's extra revenue for Carnival with minimal overhead, there is always an expense involved.

So to cut it short you know you pay to be a line cutter and happy to do so because you think it’s worth paying it to “butt hurt” loyal platinum customers.

Why the wall of text when so few words could have sufficed?

In short, for those happy to pay the fee to get this ability, then good luck to you. My selected boarding time is just fine and I’m not envious of anyone getting a perk for free through brand loyalty. It’s a justified thank you IMHO. You are correct you have the choice to pay whatever is charged. Those who see this as a rip off where customers foolishly part with money and the company rub their hands for inventing the sales pitch are equally entitled to their option. The end.

Again, Carnival, like any other business that has shareholders, has a responsibily to make a profit.

Simple supply and demand. And when people want to pay extra to board the ship early, they should get whatever the market will bear.

So it is not greed, but good business practices.

Besides, you don't like it, no one is forcing you to pay it.

THIS...plain and simple, supply and demand...if you are complaining about the increase then just STOP buying it, period!!!! Not rocket science people, don't like what is on then turn the channel....:confused:

No one if forcing anyone to buy it. So when you say this is the last straw, I say good riddens. You probably are the ones that cut in the buffet line because you just feel you are entitled.

Until I was Platinum, I sat in the lobby and waited with the rest. Or I would just wait to get to the port and stop at a local restaurant and take my time getting there. It wasn't so bad. When I finally got onboard, I sat with my luggage and waited to get to my room at 1:30 like most of the passengers.

People need to stop being in such a rush and enjoy their vacation.

Much the same here until I reached Platinum stood in long lines then wait until appointed time. Go with the flow people your on Vacation !!! Relax !!

I don't think fttf should get on and off the ship the same time as Diamond. I've had them push their way past me to get on and off the ship before me, so rude. I paid a lot of money to become Diamond now I feel like I don't count for anything.

After 48 cruises with Carnival I will be sailing NCL next month for the first time. I do have two more Carnival cruises booked also. Now I will have something to compare.

I know, it is really important to get on the ship 5 minutes before someone else who has paid for the same privilege that you paid for. After all, we would not want to get there and the person in front of you got the very last hamburger and the very last drink. You know, I have had Diamond passengers push themselves in front of me yelling "I'm Diamond, I'm Diamond" to get on the ship before I do. People like that give all us Diamonds a bad name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

The herd is automatically thinned by the number of Platinum and Diamonds on board. They only sell FTTF based on the number of D's and P's on board.