Store luggage in the porter early on embarkation day ?

swsandra1128

We will on board Viking Sea on May 1, 2018 at Stockholm.

Since we only arrive Stockholm the day before and my hotel is 11KM from cruise port. I plan to check out hotel early and leave the luggage at the cruise terminal then continue to visit attractions near the terminal. Come back around noon time for the embarkation process.

Is that possible ?

Samson

Samson, you can normally check in luggage around 9:30 AM.

Keith

Hijack alert! lol

Is that normal practice? I’m in a similar situation in Singapore from the Shangrila Hotel on Orchard Road to harbourfront in a few days.

We’ve got transfers included, but what a wasted morning hanging around for the taxis provided to board at midday.

My plans had been to check out early and leave bags at the hotel, taxi to and from marina bay then taxi early afternoon under our our steam to the ship.

If we are able to hand over bags early, then that’s a better option as we don’t have the hassle of getting back to orchard road to navigate.

Hijack alert! lol

Is that normal practice? I’m in a similar situation in Singapore from the Shangrila Hotel on Orchard Road to harbourfront in a few days.

We’ve got transfers included, but what a wasted morning hanging around for the taxis provided to board at midday.

My plans had been to check out early and leave bags at the hotel, taxi to and from marina bay then taxi early afternoon under our our steam to the ship.

If we are able to hand over bags early, then that’s a better option as we don’t have the hassle of getting back to orchard road to navigate.

You could do it.

Last time we were in Singapore though (we were in transit so continuing) I remember people dropping off luggage around 9:30 AM as well.

Keith

Thanks for your immediate reply.

Just to clarify. You mean just put down the luggage but not board the ship ?

Samson

Samson, yes that is what I mean.

Boarding time will vary by cruise line but never that early.

Keith

The reason for the 9:30 or so start time for dropping off luggage is that all the porters (and everyone else for that matter) will be busy with disembarking passengers beginning early in the morning up to 9:30 or so.

Why not ask the hotel to store your bags until you are ready to head to the port

Then do the sites & head to the port when ready

check the cut off time for boarding the ship

saves travelling to the port then back into the city

just a thought

Why not ask the hotel to store your bags until you are ready to head to the port

Then do the sites & head to the port when ready

check the cut off time for boarding the ship

saves travelling to the port then back into the city

just a thought

I think both the OP and I are intending to visit locations near to port so the whole purpose was so I didn’t have to go back to the hotel. The place I intend to visit is probably less than a mile from the ship.

Yes, I will check with the CL once we’re there regarding dropping off to the ship. If they can’t do as I’m now hoping, I’ll revert back to storing at the hotel. Not a biggie really.... and thinking about it, I’d not want to leave a ported with my hand luggage and £1000s in cameras and tablets so maybe it is the better option.

Not a biggie really.... and thinking about it, I’d not want to leave a ported with my hand luggage and £1000s in cameras and tablets so maybe it is the better option.

I would never, ever leave hand luggage with cameras and tablets with a porter under any circumstances. Hand luggage should remain in your hands or locked in a secure luggage storage room at your hotel.

I think both the OP and I are intending to visit locations near to port so the whole purpose was so I didn’t have to go back to the hotel. The place I intend to visit is probably less than a mile from the ship.

Yes, I will check with the CL once we’re there regarding dropping off to the ship. If they can’t do as I’m now hoping, I’ll revert back to storing at the hotel. Not a biggie really.... and thinking about it, I’d not want to leave a ported with my hand luggage and £1000s in cameras and tablets so maybe it is the better option.

Sorry I did not take the time to see what port the ship was docking at & my crystal ball is out for service so no idea what sites the OP would be touring

:rolleyes:

Not sure how that works as you seem to be docking in Asia & the OP in Stockholm

Edited by LHT28

Sorry I did not take the time to see what port the ship was docking at & my crystal ball is out for service so no idea what sites the OP would be touring

:rolleyes:

No crystal ball needed.

The OP said his hotel is 11km from the port in Stockholm and intends to sight see near the ship. I've said I'm in Orchard Road in Singapore and ship is at Harbourfront and want to visit Marina Bay which is about a mile from the ship.

But the realisation that I'd be leaving valuables, means we'll best be back to square one and your suggestion, which was my original plan. Marina Bay is only 12 mins away, so it does make sense not to take any risks.

3 days to go :)

I would never, ever leave hand luggage with cameras and tablets with a porter under any circumstances. Hand luggage should remain in your hands or locked in a secure luggage storage room at your hotel.

Yes I agree. When the topic came up, I hadnt really digested it was leaving everything with a porter.

Yes I agree. When the topic came up, I hadnt really digested it was leaving everything with a porter.

No crystal ball needed.

But the realisation that I'd be leaving valuables, means we'll best be back to square one and your suggestion, which was my original plan. Marina Bay is only 12 mins away, so it does make sense not to take any risks.

3 days to go :)

I'm sure your original plan will work out fine. Enjoy your cruise!