Bucket List Travel

klfrodo

A moderator deleted this question I had in another thread, so I'll ask in a new thread.

We've all got our Bucket List of things we want to do and/or see in life.

So,

Hypothetically

Doctor has told me I've only got so much time.

Asia has always been my dream.

I book a trip to Asia.

My health deteriorates, I need medical attention and I need to get back home to be with my family.

I purchased travel insurance.

Am I covered?

I would think that insurance would not cover anything because I was "NOT Fit To Travel" at the time I purchased the trip or the insurance since the Dr. had already called it.

Thoughts?

Note: This topic may be morbid but I think it's good information to have.

The key is to buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

The insurance we buy from Allianz offers that coverage as long as you purchase the insurance within 14 days of depositing your trip. If you normally wait to buy your insurance after final payment (which I know people do) you will not have the coverage you are looking for.

The key is to buy insurance that covers pre-existing conditions.

You still can't buy pre-existing if you are not "Fit For Travel" on the day you buy it. If the Dr.s say that you are terminal and there is nothing more they can do, are you still "Fit To Travel" in the eyes of an insurance company?

Got it

From the Allianz website

I guess it all depends on whether or not your doctor says you can't travel. If because of your condition, your doctor tells you not to fly, then, no, you wouldn't be covered.

But if he/she says You've got 6 mos, go and enjoy yourself' then yes, you would be covered.

Can always call the insurance company.

Existing Medical Condition Coverage

• - What is an existing medical condition?
  • An existing medical condition is an illness or injury that you, a traveling companion or family member were seeking or receiving treatment for or had symptoms of on the day you purchased your plan, or at any time in the 120 days before you purchased it. Please also note that you may still be covered for losses caused by reasons other than those related to an existing medical condition.

Terms, conditions and exclusions apply. Please see your Certificate of Insurance/Policy for full details.

• - If I have an existing medical condition can I still purchase travel insurance?
  • Yes. On select products, we offer existing medical condition coverage. In order to have existing medical conditions covered, generally the following criteria must be met:

1) You must be a US resident who is medically able to travel on the date you purchase your plan

2) You must purchase trip cancellation coverage that covers the full cost of all your non-refundable trip arrangements.

3) Your plan must be purchased within 14 days of your original trip deposit or initial payment date unless otherwise specified in your particular plan.

Coverage limits may vary based upon your chosen plan. Please see your Certificate of Insurance/Policy for terms, conditions, and exclusions.

Even if you don't purchase insurance that covers existing medical conditions, or even if you don't meet the requirements for that coverage, you can still purchase travel insurance, but any loss due to an existing medical condition will be excluded.

From a copy of our policy

PRE-EXISTING CONDITIONS EXCLUSION AND WAIVER

This exclusion applies to Emergency Medical and Dental Coverage, Emergency Medical Transportation Coverage and to those travel assistance services related to medical problems.

The plan does not cover losses or expenses if they result from:

1. The existence of symptoms which would ordinarily cause a prudent person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment within a 120 day period preceding the effective date of coverage for the insured person or

2. A condition for which medical advice or treatment was recommended by a Physician or received from a Physician within a 120 day period preceding the effective date of coverage of the insured person.

For the purposes of determining any Pre-existing Conditions, the effective date of Your insurance will be Your Trip departure date.

You have purchased a plan where Pre-existing Conditions are waived. We cover Pre-existing Conditionss provided:

1. The insurance was purchased within 14 days of making Your first Trip payment or first Trip deposit and

2. The total Trip cost is $50,000 per person or less

Hope this helps you.

Asked this question in a hypothetical manner from a trusted insurance broker.

At the end of the day, the insurance claims adjusters are most likely going to say that all claims will be denied because the insured was not medically stable at the time the insurance was purchased.

So, just be forewarned, if you have something on your bucket list, do it now.

Wait too long and you are putting a major burden on your loved ones.

Asked this question in a hypothetical manner from a trusted insurance broker.

At the end of the day, the insurance claims adjusters are most likely going to say that all claims will be denied because the insured was not medically stable at the time the insurance was purchased.

So, just be forewarned, if you have something on your bucket list, do it now.

Wait too long and you are putting a major burden on your loved ones.

OP: Don’t stop traveling. Forget the trip insurance—just make sure you have Medjet to get home. Self-insure the rest.

Safe journey.

• 2 weeks later...

as previously pointed out here, the number 1 rule -- overridinging any considerations about pre-ex conditions or not -- is that they only insure events that are unforeseeable. if your doctor has given a certain time frame for death to occur -- say, as in this case six months or less -- the cause of the cancellation and any related losses during the cruise such as evacuation will not be covered. The following is from Allianz

"However, travel insurance is meant to protect travelers against sudden and unforeseen events — not threats that are already on the horizon when the insurance is purchased." (their emphasis)

You can buy a policy and hope for the best but plan on it not paying off in the type of situation described. if it's in your medical records that the doctor has given some sort of estimate of when death might occur the death is no longer "sudden" nor "unforeseen"