Just back from silhouette, observations.

Scrivine41

hi,

Here's the thing, when we finished dinner, my husband and I sat for close to 20-25 minutes before any acknowledgement from waiter or assistant, clearing our plates, asking about coffee and giving us dessert menus, this happened several nights. One night we missed the 9 PM show due to this. We sat at 7 PM for dinner.

That would annoy me too! In fact, on the couple occasions we’ve experienced this sort of lag, we’ve left, waving bye-bye to the waiters. I’d seek different wait staff the subsequent nights too. This would be no great sacrifice for us, by the way, because we’d rather have coffee in Cafe al Bacio anyway. As for dessert, I’m not a gooey dessert person (yes, I’m that person who can’t resist the bread and any savory starters on offer) and DH usually prefers the offerings at Cafe al Bacio.

We got off Silhouette two weeks ago but we didn't eat in the MDR. The most remarkable part of the cruise for us was the friendliness of the crew. No matter who we passed whether in the halls or public areas we were almost always greeted with a hello or welcome. After 30 plus cruises that really jumped out as us.

It's not that I didn't find celebrity to our liking. I would easily become a convert if they fixed the food. I would consider them top notch if they did.

I have found Princess and HAL food excellent and I do enjoy the chilled soups on Norwegian.

Again as in vacation I enjoy eating what I won't cook or it's too hard to cook. Can't say I found it on celebrity.

Thank you for returning and answering my question.

I agree that years ago, HAL had wonderful food. May I ask when the last time was that you sailed on them? We stopped with them years ago, partially because the food became downright bland (and we wondered if that was to cater to the considerable majority of the crowd, which was 70+.)

I admit, we haven't sailed on Princess in decades, and I don't remember ANY issues with the food.

We enjoyed both of those cruise lines, and would be VERY open to trying them again, EXCEPT for one difference. And it's a big one for us. I have never seen either offer the free all-inclusive alcohol package. When Celebrity throws in the pre-paid gratuities (etc.) it's pretty darn hard to beat if you're a drinker.

(Yes, I know NCL offers alcohol packages from time to time. And we've sailed on NCL. Wanna talk about mediocre MDR food? Yikes. That said, the specialty restaurants were, in our opinion, were much, much better than Celebrity's specialities (DH is an ex-butcher and was shocked at the quality of the beef). Still, overall, we find Celebrity to be the 'best of the lot', but appreciate hearing about alternatives.)

AGREE with the OP's comments concerning the food. After 9 X cruises in 10 years (2007-17) we have not been back in over a year and have no plans to sail again right now...... Their product has really deteriorated. It's a shame.

Unless you dine in fine restaurants with friends every night for 7-21 nights, no breaks, that analogy doesn't fit. We've also spent 2 hours or more dining, but like once a month, maybe. Not every night.

But if you went back to the same restaurant you did dine in once a month, would you not expect/experience something similar to your monthly dining experience each time?

We go to certain restaurants to have the 2 hour experience and not be rushed. I agree, I think I would want some variety in my dining over a long cruise.

We got off Silhouette in January and dined in BLU most evenings and Speciality restaurants 4 times. Also, actually went into MDR for desert (late seating) once and to try the Escargots to see if they were the same as served in BLU. They were. We thought of trying buffet, but never did.

AGREE with the OP's comments concerning the food. After 9 X cruises in 10 years (2007-17) we have not been back in over a year and have no plans to sail again right now...... Their product has really deteriorated. It's a shame.

What line are you sailing or are you sailing at all?

Not shooting the messenger but I was on the same sailing as Scrivine41 and would rate it as one of my better X cruises. I found the food in the MDR excellent with only one meal not to my liking (my waiter quickly changed it for a different meal as soon as I told them) and that the menu's haven't changed too much from my sailing in March 2017.

I found my waiter, asst waiter and sommelier to be excellent and always there when I needed them. Very helpful offering good tips on menu choices and wine pairings.

I've been on Hal, NCL, Princess and Royal and have my own personal favourites within that group. Ultimately we have our own personal preferences and I have no issues with anyone with preferences that are different than mine.

Just curious but those mentioning the dining time, did you eat in traditional or select dining. When eating traditional we always expect two hours, they serve everyone at the table each course at the same time. Select can be shorter.

We were select dining.

No issues got right in everytime we went to dine. Not sure if being concierge class had anything to do with it.

Thank you for returning and answering my question.

I agree that years ago, HAL had wonderful food. May I ask when the last time was that you sailed on them? We stopped with them years ago, partially because the food became downright bland (and we wondered if that was to cater to the considerable majority of the crowd, which was 70+.)

I admit, we haven't sailed on Princess in decades, and I don't remember ANY issues with the food.

We enjoyed both of those cruise lines, and would be VERY open to trying them again, EXCEPT for one difference. And it's a big one for us. I have never seen either offer the free all-inclusive alcohol package. When Celebrity throws in the pre-paid gratuities (etc.) it's pretty darn hard to beat if you're a drinker.

(Yes, I know NCL offers alcohol packages from time to time. And we've sailed on NCL. Wanna talk about mediocre MDR food? Yikes. That said, the specialty restaurants were, in our opinion, were much, much better than Celebrity's specialities (DH is an ex-butcher and was shocked at the quality of the beef). Still, overall, we find Celebrity to be the 'best of the lot', but appreciate hearing about alternatives.)

We did the Norwegian Escape April 2017, food was excellent. We were in the Haven, but also dined in main dining room and specialty. All delicious.

Holland American we did November 2012. We were on the Nieu Amsterdam. Had no issues, things could have changed but I did speak with some on land on that ship who said it was fine.

Norwegian does the beverage package and it seems princess is offering it as well. I think all cruise lines will have to in the future, it is the best deal especially not having a huge bar bill post cruise.

we are going Norwegian to greece this summer on a smaller ship so we will see how that goes.

Love that all this commentary makes or hopefully makes the cruise lines compete for our business. Better marketplace for us all.:)

I was also on that cruise. I agree regarding the MDR service (staff seemed a bit spread thin) but I enjoyed the food. Tuscan Grille was excellent.

The comedian on the first night (Rich Aronovitch) was better than Carl Banks IMO.

Two hours of dining is acceptable when the food is good.

I have now posted several times that on our last 3 cruises, 2 on Infinity and one on Eclipse, the food in the MDR is very poor. We are elite plus cruisers and have seen the MDR go from very good to almost inedible. Off the record wait staff told us they want everyone to spend more on Suites, Blu and Specialty to get the kind of quality we used to get before Luminae.

For 11 days out of 14 , we ate in OVC, which was very good. The Maitre d' there asked me to make sure I make that distinction when making comments.

Rather than spending on Suites or Aqua, we have decided to try Viking Ocean. Cost less and you get so much more.

To add to this, we have filled in all the questionnaires, talked to maitre d's, written to Celebrity Head office regarding to this issue all the while knowing it is a waste of time.

They hope for new cruisers, who wont know the difference or those leaving NCL or Carnival who may find Celeb a step above.

As for us, we are gone.

We were on the March 11th sailing also. We enjoyed the cruise, food (especially the specialty restaurants, and the entertainment.

In fact, we thought the entertainment might have been the best we have had on Celebrity. :)

We were on the March 11th sailing also. We enjoyed the cruise, food (especially the specialty restaurants, and the entertainment.

In fact, we thought the entertainment might have been the best we have had on Celebrity. :)

Texed - We were on the same cruise and tried to meet you. You were not at the meet and greet.

Interesting there were maybe a dozen passengers at the meet and greet on Silhouette last week and 100 on Eclipse today.

Is there any way to meet a fellow cruise critic member other than at the meet and greet?

Cruise Critic does not appear to allow private messages like Facebook.

Sailed on the Silly last April, transatlantic, enjoyed every minute of it. MDR food was good and on some nights great, but the Lawn Club Grille and the Porch were a level above. We are sailing again on the Silhouette, transatlantic, in Aqua Class, so Blu will be our MDR. Took the plunge on the recommendation of other Cruise Critic reviewers and are hoping for a new experience in dining.

Were on the Equinox in January and still believe the Silly is the ship of choice for us. Being new to the cruise family I know my opinion is taken with a grain of salt, but I will post again after the next voyage. Thanks to all of you alumni of X for your input and ideas for better cruising.

Thanks for posting the positive review, Texed! We’re boarding Silhouette in June, so we’re hoping for very good food, service and entertainment. We intend to test the waffle station and we need tips from the expert;).

Texed - We were on the same cruise and tried to meet you. You were not at the meet and greet.

Is there any way to meet a fellow cruise critic member other than at the meet and greet?

Cruise Critic does not appear to allow private messages like Facebook.

Mr. Tommy,

Sorry we missed you. I usually go to the "Connections" party, but did not go to this one.

I think I have met more folks at the sail away than at the meet and greet. So, that is an option on meeting folks. :)

Thanks for posting the positive review, Texed! We’re boarding Silhouette in June, so we’re hoping for very good food, service and entertainment. We intend to test the waffle station and we need tips from the expert;).

Thanks for posting. I believe Silhouette is my favorite Celebrity ship, so I believe you should love it.

As far as the waffles, the best tip I can give is to make sure they are freshly cooked. Sometimes, I just wait until the next batch is ready before I grab. :D

To the OP and the others who have posted reviews on this thread:

Thank you for taking the time to post your honest reviews of your recent experiences on Silhouette. I know everything is subjective, but I appreciate everyone’s assessments and opinions, even the ones that don’t tell me what I was hoping to hear lol.

We’ll sail on Silhouette for the second time in June, and we’re hoping for an even better holiday than we had five years ago. Fingers crossed:D:D

Edited by Silkroad

Being that we have been traveling with Celebrity for 17 years and have been on 35 cruises with various lines, I must throw in my 2 cents after reading everyone's fine reviews. We are Silhouette leaving this Sunday and looking forward to it....

First let me say -- the food on all the cruise lines have changed, as they try to save on costs. Years ago, Celebrity had the top chef Michel Roux and the food was exceptional; after he left they had a woman who lasted a year or two and the food went downhill. Over the past few years, the food has definitely come back on Celebrity. To be honest after one cruise on NCL (which we do not even consider anymore) and two on Royal Caribbean (average at best) we feel that Celebrity, Princess and Holland (though the people on-board Holland are a bit too old for us and an 84 year old friend of ours:)) are the top of the Mass Market Cruise Lines.

As for 2 hour seatings - I agree with the people who said that in most fine restaurants dinner is 1 1/2 - 2 hours. We feel we are on vacation and we do not need to rush. If we want to make a show, we let the waiter know - so he/she can try to move things

along. The Waiters and their Assts. must wait on lines in the kitchen to get the food for the large dining rooms. This does take time and they generally work very hard which many times goes unappreciated by passengers.

We also understand that it is difficult for children to sit that long. The answer for those people that want to rush in and out, not dress appropriately, and/or have children is -- to go to the buffet for dinner. This solves a lot of issues discussed above.

We had one dinner where they made one table of children, so all the adults could eat together at the next table-- at the expense of the other passengers. As I was at the table across from the kids (who were understandably being kids -- from 6-12 y.o.) I promptly spoke to the Maitre'D who did nothing, so I went to the adult table and explained that I paid my fare and wanted to eat my dinner in peace and that adults were needed at the table to supervise these young children. That solved that problem.

A great suggestion for the cruise lines is to have a Children's Dining Room with Counselors --like we did in the Catskill Mountains years ago. I could not eat in the MDR until I was a teenager (and only ate at the teen table then - no adults).

Everyone here is for a vacation and to have a good time --- leave the hustle and bustle behind... Life is way too short...:D

Happy Sailing to All!!!

DW and I have been on 10 X cruises and have eaten dinner in the OVC only once, after a very late return from an excursion to Berlin. Would someone give me their impression of the OVC for dinner? What have you experienced that was different from lunch? Thanks!

We sailed on X back in the 90's when their food was superb. I was on Silhouette in 2013 after cruises on other lines and was so disappointed. The cuisine had changed from more French to more American and was now bland and uninteresting.

Also food can vary from ship to ship. We did a 2015 Mediterranean cruise on Vision of the Seas and the food was horrible. Last year we did a Baltic cruise on the same ship and couldn't believe how much the MDR and buffet had improved.

Planning a TA in November on Silhouette and will assess the food at that time. DH is not a big fan of paying for the specialty venues.

Sue

My wife and I were on board the March 11-18 cruise on Silhouette. We LOVED the food we had in Blu, the Oceanview Cafe and Sushi on 5!

This was my first cruise with Celebrity and my wife's third. I cannot express enough just how GREAT the food and service was for us. I promise we will continue to cruise with Celebrity. The ship is soooo clean too I might add.

My wife and I have only cruised Celebrity 4 times with each time being less and less impressed about the food in the MDR. This is not to say that we haven’t enjoyed it, but in all fairness, it really isn’t that special anymore. Much like a “been there, done that” type of experience.

I grew up in rural America where everyone had large gardens for fresh vegetables. They were plentiful and inexpensive while proteins were costlier.This shaped my love for vegetables and the lack of them in the MDR is just one of the reasons I don’t really care for eating there. For me putting three or four string beans on a plate and saying enjoy is just frustrating. I suppose that I could ask for more, but then I would be working the poor wait staff to death.

Another reason I don’t prefer the MDR is that I am impatient and the time that it takes to finish dining is way too long for me. I have a bad habit of eating way too fast and the time that I sit there and wait drives me crazy. I know that there are quite a few people that love taking their time while dining as it is relaxing to them. For me, it drives me into a state from which spoils my vacation.

For these reasons I usually enjoy eating in the OVC. I will fix a large salad which I will devour in a about a minute. Then it’s off to get a plate with either some grilled protein and then load up on what ever vegetables they have prepared. Yes, there have been some that I have enjoyed less than others,but for the most part the food is fine. (I have to say that I eat so fast that by the time I realize that I didn’t enjoy it, I am finished with it.)

In my opinion, Celebrity does a good job of providing different types of experiences for different types of people. I have been out with friends that after the event raved about the experience while I found it to be quite a bore. Still very good friends, just different opinions as to what one prefers.

Just curious but those mentioning the dining time, did you eat in traditional or select dining. When eating traditional we always expect two hours, they serve everyone at the table each course at the same time. Select can be shorter.
When dining traditional we always select late and we always ask for a table for two. Our waiters always serve the food at a leisurely pace, but no long lag times. If we want to get out quickly for some reason we just tell them. That said, we enjoy a leisurely pace when dining and treat it as part of the evening entertainment. Thanks for the review to the OP. Food is subjective and no restaurant (land or sea) will please all the people all the time.