Starting to prepare packing wondering about bringing precautionary cold/flu meds??

UmaDaughterOfUrsula

Is it ok to bring cold/flu medication (dayquil or mucinex) on a cruise as a precaution? If it shows up during security will they make me get checked by medical staff?

Not sick an haven't been but just want to be able to start fighting anything as quickly as possible that we might pick up from someone else along our travels.

Depends where your cruising to / from.....

Celebrity is doing several cruises to and from Dubai. You need to be very careful taking certain medicines commonly available in the West in to Dubai. If you are found with these medicines you can end up in big trouble.

pseudoephedrine Which is a commonactive ingredient in some cold and flu medications certainly used to be banned in Japan and I believe several other countries. It's use is heavily controlled in the U.K. And is usually only available via prescription.

Edited by DYKWIA

Depends where your cruising to / from.....

Celebrity is doing several cruises to and from Dubai. You need to be very careful taking certain medicines commonly available in the West in to Dubai. If you are found with these medicines you can end up in big trouble.

pseudoephedrine Which is a commonactive ingredient in some cold and flu medications certainly used to be banned in Japan and I believe several other countries.

Miami - caribbean

With 2,400 - 3,000 passengers on board, someone WILL have a cold (or worse) to spread around to others.

Airborne, Nyquil, and others are always good to have along. They take zero room in a suitcase.

Do not worry that security will make you be seen by medical. They won't. Everyone must sign a statement regarding recent health. Be honest!

I also take AlkaSeltzer in case I have an extra drink or two late at night.

I would pack it. IMO our risk of exposure to cold or flu is greatest during the flight to our vacation destination. You may be exposed on the plane, feel perfectly fine when you board the ship, but begin having symptoms in two or three days. Best to pack the things you know work for you. And there’s absolutely no reason why you can’t pack liquid medication if that’s what works for you. I double bag my liquid allergy medication and have no issues. You may not be able to acquire the OTC medication you typically use to treat symptoms in the ports you visit.

Edited by Silkroad
Clarification

Is it ok to bring cold/flu medication (dayquil or mucinex) on a cruise as a precaution? If it shows up during security will they make me get checked by medical staff?

Not sick an haven't been but just want to be able to start fighting anything as quickly as possible that we might pick up from someone else along our travels.

We usually bring a few OTC meds, they cost a fortune on the ship.

Not to mention, if a lot of people do have colds, they may sell out. My DH got a cold on a 15 night cruise once ... many sea days and all sorts of people came onboard sick. Well, by the time he started feeling it come on, it was too late, the gift shop was all out of cold meds ... and we still had 5 days at sea to go so knew they wouldn't be replenishing them. Now, I always pack the entire medicine chest. Vicks makes a Nyquil / Dayquil pack and don't forget the cough drops. Oh and yes, we always take Airborne as well. We just picked some up at Costco earlier today for our next cruise.

And yes, you can definitely catch a cold or the flu in the Caribbean. Colds / flu are caused by a virus, not by cold weather. If someone brings a contagious illness onboard with them, they tend to share it with others.

We always bring a few OTC Meds on cruises. We were just watching the evening news and the story about the flu vaccine not being effective this year caught our eye. Discussed the possibility about contacting our doctor for a just in case prescription for Thera Flu. Wouldn't think about this if we were not cruising.

And yes, you can definitely catch a cold or the flu in the Caribbean. Colds / flu are caused by a virus, not by cold weather. If someone brings a contagious illness onboard with them, they tend to share it with others.

I'm sure I read somewhere that ironically the only place you can't catch a cold is the South Pole because it's too cold

Not to mention, if a lot of people do have colds, they may sell out. My DH got a cold on a 15 night cruise once ... many sea days and all sorts of people came onboard sick. Well, by the time he started feeling it come on, it was too late, the gift shop was all out of cold meds ... and we still had 5 days at sea to go so knew they wouldn't be replenishing them. Now, I always pack the entire medicine chest. Vicks makes a Nyquil / Dayquil pack and don't forget the cough drops. Oh and yes, we always take Airborne as well. We just picked some up at Costco earlier today for our next cruise.

You’re spot on! Also consider emergen c , pro biotic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Definitely have your flu shot. You need to get it at least 2 weeks before you travel. It may not stop the current strain but it could keep you from getting ghastly ill as it does help. Seems to be impacting young children and young adults. Two have recently died in the U.S.

I have also had success with a spray called “Halo”. It supposed to protect you from germs you inhale for six hours and is available in the U.S.

I usually bring along a bottle of prescription cough medicine with codeine as a precaution. I've never had a problem except once, on the way home at airport security. Because it was in my carry on and it exceeded the 3 oz. rule they questioned it. Once they saw the prescription label they put it in a machine similar in size and shape to a small microwave to analyze it and gave it back without problem. The only problem you may have with Nyquil or Dayquil might be a similar one if you're flying and it exceeds the liquid limit in your carry on.

Yes. We found out the hard way on our first X cruise in New Zealand. We wasted our free time one day walking all around the port we were in looking for cough med. We bring a supply of basic cold meds on every cruise.

We always bring a few OTC Meds on cruises. We were just watching the evening news and the story about the flu vaccine not being effective this year caught our eye. Discussed the possibility about contacting our doctor for a just in case prescription for Thera Flu. Wouldn't think about this if we were not cruising.

Tami-flu? Is that the name of the RX? Don't know if my MD would prescribe as a precaution but it's worth a try.

We were on a TransPacific X cruise and by the time we got back to Vancouver, almost everyone was sick with an upper respiratory infection.

Better safe than sorry.

Here's a helpful (and somewhat excessive) list I saw somewhere. I kept it for reference and pack what is relevant to us. I've found it very helpful since it's pretty comprehensive and saves me from forgetting anything.

Prescriptions taken daily

Antibiotic

Stomach cramp medicine such as Bentyl

Immodium

Heartburn remedy such as Tums

Gas X

Aspirin or Excedrine

Tylenol

Motrin

Aleve

Benadryl or other allergy remedy

Mucinex or other decongestant

Nasal Spray

Cough Medicine

Band aids

Cortisone cream

Probiotics

Neosporin

Sunscreen

Bug repellant with DEET

We carry a significant first aid kit containing a number of different medicines both prescription and Over the Counter. We do what we can to avoid visiting on board doctors. A minimum cost of our insurance excess makes prevention worth while

We have never had problems confiscate any medication these always with their original labels and are new. Special medication always carry your prescription. Put all your medications in a separate plastic bag. And in another bag the toiletries. In another the perfumes. Etc.