Is Alitalia really that bad?

nini

I am searching for air for our October Mediterranean cruise and the cheapest

on Choice Air is always involving Alitalia- a very significant difference.

Any experiences? I hear that they lose lots of luggage and have trouble being

on time.

THX!

As always, actually posting cities and dates helps in any advice to be given. Routings and timings are always considerations.

As for lost baggage - I assume you are talking about delayed baggage, which is significantly different than "lost". It is my opinion that delayed baggage is considered to be a much more frequent issue than it really is, though to the one with the delayed bag, it's a huge issue. Over 99% of bags make it on the desired flight. So "lots" is an interesting thought.

Many of the issues with delayed bags is due to operational issues including short connections and bag drop with insufficient time for security screening. If your flight is a non-stop from the USA to Rome, you don't have connection issues and delayed bags should be an insignificant concern. If you have one or more connections, including relatively short timings, that concern should go up.

As for "late"...since we don't know when you are flying or where or at what time, any issue of "late" is hard to evaluate. All airlines have operational delays, be it mechanical or weather. What's your concern?

I would be far more interested in what my flight timings, routing, and equipment are than being late. Add in hard and soft inflight product. What are your priorities?

Overall in regards Alitalia: I've flown them in the past and would fly them again. Are there "better" choices? Yes. Are there "worse" choices? Yes. What's important to you?

... Air Italia ...
I think some precision may help here.

The OP was asking about Alitalia, sometimes described as Italy's national airline.

There is also a different airline called Air Italy, which is basically the airline formerly known as Meridiana.

Using the name "Air Italia" might risk confusion between these two companies.

Overall in regards Alitalia: I've flown them in the past and would fly them again. Are there "better" choices? Yes. Are there "worse" choices? Yes. What's important to you?
There's one more thing that's quite important about Alitalia: it has filed for bankruptcy, an administrator has been appointed, but the sale process seems to be proving to be difficult as the number of potentially interested buyers is small and many large airline companies that could have been potential purchasers have ruled themselves out.

So who knows what shape Alitalia will be in by October? I would not be surprised if this question is having a major effect on Alitalia's pricing power, or indeed provoking a need to generate quick cash now by selling tickets at low prices at the cost of wrecking its achieved yields for future travel dates.

FlyerTalker-

I specified October Mediterranean and as you can see, we live

in Washington (the state). We will need to get across our country

and then to Rome. It is the flight that is from the states to Rome

that is on Alitalia.

Bottom line is that we want to have a safe and timely flight.

Thank you all for the comments. I had read about the bankruptcy

which is most likely why the fares are so discounted.

Thanks to all!

I read with interest what Globaliser has to say about them being in bankruptcy.

That would indicate to me that they are probably not covered by any travel insurance should you find yourself filing a claim.

I think some precision may help here.

The OP was asking about Alitalia, sometimes described as Italy's national airline.

There is also a different airline called Air Italy, which is basically the airline formerly known as Meridiana.

Using the name "Air Italia" might risk confusion between these two companies.

Oops I did mean to say Alitalia.

Keith

FlyerTalker-I specified October Mediterranean and as you can see, we live

in Washington (the state). We will need to get across our country

and then to Rome. It is the flight that is from the states to Rome

that is on Alitalia.

Lots of difference flying from Yakima or the Tri-Cities vs Seattle. Washington's a big state.

The Mediterranean stretches from Gibraltar to Israel. Sorry I couldn't mindread that you meant "Rome" when you typed "Mediterranean.

Further, there is no need for you to "get across our country" as you could fly non-stop from Seattle to Europe, and then connect into Rome.

But then, what do I know.

The Mediterranean stretches from Gibraltar to Israel. Sorry I couldn't mindread that you meant "Rome" when you typed "Mediterranean.

Further, there is no need for you to "get across our country" as you could fly non-stop from Seattle to Europe, and then connect into Rome.

To be fair, as Alitalia was mentioned there was always a decent chance that it was going to be either Rome or Venice. Flying Alitalia to any non-Italian departure port would involve a further flight.

If Seattle is a viable gateway, then the sensible alternative choices are the obvious ones: Aer Lingus via Dublin, Air France via Paris; British Airways via London; Lufthansa via Frankfurt; or Virgin Atlantic via London (with the short-haul on someone else, of course). Picking one of these options would have the advantage of not connecting at a US point on the westbound journey, which can be a real pain in the neck.

Thank you all- and YES, I have become the search wizard, not relying

on ChoiceAir. ChoiceAir comes up MUCH cheaper every time. (like

$500.00 plus cheaper for RT)

And, YES!!! We would love to go non stop, however, apparently

my research skills have not granted me those secret flights. So,

if anyone knows of an airline that does that without flying first to

SFO or LAX; please fill me in.

PDX is the same distance for us as SEATAC (we are on the Washington Coast).

The third member of our party is joining us from Bend, Oregon so PDX works better

for her.

And, yes, Washington is a big state- the original question was mainly

asking how people felt about Alitalia. I happened to fill in some other details

of why we wanted to know.

I’ve flown Alitalia, Boston to Rome 3 times , and home again...also Boston to Rome to Venice. Of course the well publicized bankruptcy issue would scare me, but my experiences have always been fine. Once, our flight home, Venice to Rome, to Boston, had a blip, where the flight to Rome was delayed. When we finally landed, a cart was waiting at the gate to whisk those of us flying to Boston to our gate. I was amazed and sent a thank you via email. Never did hear back...That all said, I’m flying to Venice again soon...on Lufthansa via Frankfurt.

There are no nonstops in Oct, SEA-FCO. You can fly nonstop, SEA-FRA on Lufthansa, and connect to a flight to FCO. There are many other combinations that don't connect in the US. Aer Lingus, SEA-DUB-FCO, Condor, SEA-FRA-FCO, BA, SEA-LHR-FCO, etc.

Your cruise is Oct 12 to Oct 22, Rome to Rome?

I see lots of choices for flights, Virgin Atlantic/BA $929 RT, AC $982, Condor/LH $948, UA $983, DL $1040, and so on.

Much more expensive to fly to/from PDX.

Edited by 6rugrats

And, YES!!! We would love to go non stop, however, apparently my research skills have not granted me those secret flights. So, if anyone knows of an airline that does that without flying first to SFO or LAX; please fill me in.
6rugrats and I have both given you lists of airlines that fly non-stop to Europe from SEA. For reasons that I gave, that has advantages over doing the connection in the US, especially on the westbound half of the journey. Personally, the idea of connecting via LAX would seem almost irrational when there are other alternatives, but I would still pick a connection in Europe over a connection at SFO in that direction.

6rugrats and I have both given you lists of airlines that fly non-stop to Europe from SEA. For reasons that I gave, that has advantages over doing the connection in the US, especially on the westbound half of the journey. Personally, the idea of connecting via LAX would seem almost irrational when there are other alternatives, but I would still pick a connection in Europe over a connection at SFO in that direction.

Since we have not travelled to Europe very much, I am interested in your comment about connecting in Europe vs the US. Can you explain?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Since we have not travelled to Europe very much, I am interested in your comment about connecting in Europe vs the US. Can you explain?

Many cities in the US have limited flights to Europe, sometimes only once a day. Miss that flight and you’re stuck. If you fly nonstop, US-Europe, you usually have many more options to get to your final destination, as they’ll be more flights to that city.

You’re also a lot closer, and can often take a train to get there on time.

I’ve never been in any airport in Europe that didn’t have good signage in English, and plenty of English speakers to help if you need it.

In addition to what 6rugrats says, in the westbound direction you have to allow for the following if you connect in the US:-

• Fly Europe to US gateway
  • Clear immigration
  • Collect bags
  • Clear customs
  • Return bags to airline
  • Clear security
  • Fly US domestic

The time needed to clear immigration and customs is very variable. If you don't like uncertainty about your onward flight, you may have to allow a lot of time for this, even though the chances are that you won't need all of it and you'll be sitting around at the connecting airport for a while just waiting for your onward flight. That extends the length of the journey and can add stress.

If you connect in Europe, you will usually simply go from one flight to the next without immigration or customs formalities, at most having to clear security in between. In general, you need to allow rather less time to do this. Because your final destination in the US is the international gateway, you clear immigration and customs there but you are free to go on your way as soon as you have completed that.

If you fly via Dublin, you may even have the opportunity to pre-clear US immigration and customs there, so that you are basically a domestic arrival when you get to Seattle.

There are other airport-specific wrinkles, too. LAX, for example, can be like the seventh circle of hell for connections. Queueing for 3 hours there just to clear immigration is not unknown. Or take Amsterdam: airline staff there generally speak better English than in most US airports. ;)

I’ve never been in any airport in Europe that didn’t have good, and plenty of English speakers to help if you need it.

Except CDG in my opinion.

I thought it was an old wives tales from last century. Surely the great French people in Paris are no longer that rude. Oh No, the stereotype is still very true to this day.

Once you get outside of Paris, the French people are very nice, warm, and accommodating.

At CDG especially, and inside Paris in some places,,, if French is not your first language, you are last to get help. If you have some high school or college French, you're last to get help. If you are from Quebec Canada, you'll get nasty looks.

If you've practiced Je ne parle pas Francois. Parlez vous English s'il vous plait? 1000 times, they will look at you and say NO! and walk away.

Except CDG in my opinion.

I thought it was an old wives tales from last century. Surely the great French people in Paris are no longer that rude. Oh No, the stereotype is still very true to this day.

Once you get outside of Paris, the French people are very nice, warm, and accommodating.

At CDG especially, and inside Paris in some places,,, if French is not your first language, you are last to get help. If you have some high school or college French, you're last to get help. If you are from Quebec Canada, you'll get nasty looks.

If you've practiced Je ne parle pas Francois. Parlez vous English s'il vous plait? 1000 times, they will look at you and say NO! and walk away.

Funnily enough, I have been remarking to people how untrue this now is even of Paris. On our visits there in the last couple of years, we've had no difficulty communicating in English whether in hotels, restaurants, bars or anywhere else visitors are likely to be, and encountered absolutely no reluctance by any Parisiens to speak English.

It has been a distinct change from the past. My personal surmise is that although the French may still hate the English as much as they ever used to, they recognise that they actually need to communicate with visitors from all over the world who do not speak French as their first language, but who are much more likely to have passable English as the increasingly-established lingua franca of Planet Earth. The Parisiens therefore have to use the same lingua franca, and do so.

I entirely accept, of course, that CDG may be a different kettle of poissons altogether.

There are no nonstops in Oct, SEA-FCO. You can fly nonstop, SEA-FRA on Lufthansa, and connect to a flight to FCO. There are many other combinations that don't connect in the US. Aer Lingus, SEA-DUB-FCO, Condor, SEA-FRA-FCO, BA, SEA-LHR-FCO, etc.

Your cruise is Oct 12 to Oct 22, Rome to Rome?

I see lots of choices for flights, Virgin Atlantic/BA $929 RT, AC $982, Condor/LH $948, UA $983, DL $1040, and so on.

Much more expensive to fly to/from PDX.

Are Lingus SEA to Rome via Dublin 10/12 with return 10/22 = $750 RT. Don't get too excited though. The 10/12 flight arrives 10/13.

PDX to Rome via Frankfurt leaving 10/9 (arrives 10/10 after 5 pm) on Condor + Lufthansa and leaving 10/23 at 7 AM is $950 RT.

OP: use ITA Matrix to search all the options. Note: Stick with Star Alliance partners for maximum flexibility with backup plans.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Funnily enough, I have been remarking to people how untrue this now is even of Paris. On our visits there in the last couple of years, we've had no difficulty communicating in English whether in hotels, restaurants, bars or anywhere else visitors are likely to be, and encountered absolutely no reluctance by any Parisiens to speak English.

It has been a distinct change from the past. My personal surmise is that although the French may still hate the English as much as they ever used to, they recognise that they actually need to communicate with visitors from all over the world who do not speak French as their first language, but who are much more likely to have passable English as the increasingly-established lingua franca of Planet Earth. The Parisiens therefore have to use the same lingua franca, and do so.

I entirely accept, of course, that CDG may be a different kettle of poissons altogether.

Just last February I had a 9 hour layover at CDG.

I decided to take the train into Paris.

Little to no help trying to find my way out of the airport.

Little to no help trying to buy a ticket.

Had a difficult time trying to exit the train station. The exit doors wouldn’t open. I tried to ask at the information booth. No parlez English. I had to sneak out with someone else.

Got up to street level to walk around and sight see.

Walked around for a few hours, decided to take a cab back to the airport, pardon moi, parlez vous English? No Had to break out my Google Translate app