Prescription Meds without Prescription?

Georgia_Peaches

Im looking forward to a March 31 cruise on Equinox sailing to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St kitts. No stop in Mexico. While in St. Kitts we are taking an excursion to St Bart’s (owned by France). Are any of these places known for selling prescription meds w/o a prescription? Now please, before you get all judgmental and tell me I’m terrible for even asking such a question, know this... I run a nonprofit dog rescue and many of my rescues are sickly and require meds. Some of them are used by humans. Care for these animals gets very expensive. When I can pick them up inexpensively outside the US I will do so. So please, save any judgement and commentary. I’m just asking a question.

Thanks in advance.

Christina.

Been there several times and very much doubt that any pharmacy would sell meds withot prescription. Very high end stores and have never seen a discount type store.

Thank you for the feedback. That’s pretty consistent with what I have read. Was worth an ask though. Thank you

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Yes. Good point. Thank you. I am mostly in The market for topicals and mild antibiotic capsules that I can break apart and mix into food.

I can’t contribute any useful information about medications on the islands, but I want to say I think what you are doing is wonderful. I love dogs, especially the large ones that nobody else seems to wants to adopt. I wish you the best of luck finding an inexpensive supply of topicals and antibiotics for your furry charges.

Regards, Michelle

In general most places you mentioned do not sell medicines without prescriptions.

Keith

I understand that in many countries other than the USA that some drugs can be purchased at a pharmacy or chemist (British) without prescription.

Also, my sense is that traveling all over the World, no country will give me a problem with my blood pressure or cholesterol meds.

As people have said, on your itinerary, you probably won’t run into this.

However, my understanding is that in many countries where you can get prescription meds ‘without a prescription’; what they actually mean is that those countries allow pharmacists to issue prescriptions for certain things. So no, don’t need a doctor, but if you show up healthy asking for prescription meds that you don’t need and aren’t for you, I don’t know that that would work.

So what you need to do is find out if there are any countries where the specific med you need is over the counter. I know that can vary by country have recalled some discrepancies being discussed on here with Moton sickness meds being prescription in some countries and OTC in others. St kitts would be your best bet to try since Puerto Rico and st Thomas are technically part of the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

Mexican pharmacies will sell drugs without a prescription, but they are notorious for selling counterfeit drugs to tourists. After all, who you gonna call after you get home and the "drugs" are useless??

Similar situation to their fake liquor...

I buy some of my meds in Cozumel for 1/20th of what I have paid on my discount drug program with no prescription. Meds have been working for me.

When in China I also could have purchased same med for lower price but scrip was required. If doctors office was open I could have one issued for $5. So much for our drug prices here!

Not sure if you will get thru customs when you get off the ship. The last 2 cruises we have been the "random" couple that has to go to the room to have all of our luggage searched and believe me they go thru everything. It took almost an hour .

I can’t contribute any useful information about medications on the islands, but I want to say I think what you are doing is wonderful. I love dogs, especially the large ones that nobody else seems to wants to adopt. I wish you the best of luck finding an inexpensive supply of topicals and antibiotics for your furry charges.

Regards, Michelle

Thank you! We are dog lovers too, all animals actually, and helping them is very therapeutic. The large ones are more of a challenge to place which is how we came to adopt Huck and Charlie.

Christina

So no, don’t need a doctor, but if you show up healthy asking for prescription meds that you don’t need and aren’t for you, I don’t know that that would work.

So what you need to do is find out if there are any countries where the specific med you need is over the counter.

I would assume the OP is indeed talking about getting meds that are Rx here but OTC elsewhere, not trying to buy meds that also need an Rx in whatever country.

Not sure if you will get thru customs when you get off the ship.

There's always a risk, but the odds of being stopped for a thorough and random search are slim to none. In 30+ cruises and numerous land-based trips to other countries, we have never been through a customs "search."

Im looking forward to a March 31 cruise on Equinox sailing to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas and St kitts. No stop in Mexico. While in St. Kitts we are taking an excursion to St Bart’s (owned by France). Are any of these places known for selling prescription meds w/o a prescription? Now please, before you get all judgmental and tell me I’m terrible for even asking such a question, know this... I run a nonprofit dog rescue and many of my rescues are sickly and require meds. Some of them are used by humans.......

At St. Kitts, a pharmacy a few blocks from the Port Zante pier sold the higher dosage Retin-A (a skin cream that requires a prescription in the USA) without a prescription.

It was behind the counter, so we had to ask for it.

The price was much lower than back home.

We also found it available without a prescription at some other Caribbean islands, most recently Antigua.

We had better luck at the non-US islands.

Sorry, I don't know about any other prescription meds because that was the only one we checked.

Looking at prices of the drugstore type products available on the open shelves, some were priced higher and some lower than what we pay at home.

Some of the drugstores posted prices for both Eastern Caribbean and US currency, so we did not even need to do the currency conversions ourselves.

The stores all took credit cards, as well as US dollars.

If you have some free time, it can't hurt to try checking at the pharmacies near the ports at the islands you visit.

This is a long shot, but maybe you can do an online search for pharmacies in St. Bart's, then email them and explain your situation. They should be able to answer your question and might get your "order" ready ahead of time.

Thank you for rescuing furbabies!

Liz