BAR HARBOR, ME -- Self Tour or Excursion?

SteveK51

We will be in Bar Harbor on 10/6/04. Looking at some information I have collected it looks like using the shuttle at the park will enable us to see all parts of the park at our pace.

Any feedback? Will we miss something by skipping the tour?

This is a port that is very easy to do on your own. Just be very aware of the time, though, as it is a tender port. Leave plenty of time to return to the ship.

We love Bar Harbor and will be there three weeks from now on our cruise. I'll share our experiences once we return. We are also not planning a tour this time.

Lisa,

Thanks for the answer. Enjoy your trip.

Please let me know how it goes. In Bar Harbor, I am wondering how far it is from where the tender lets you off to the park and where you can catch the shuttle buses.

Where else are you going on your cruise?

We stop at Bar Harbor, Saint John NB, Halifax NS, Quebec City, and Portland before returning to Baltimore.

We will be in Bar Harbor Sept. 19 and plan to do the tour on Oli's Trolley. It is a 2 1/2 hour Tour and cost $20 each. We are doing the 1PM tour as the last tender leaves at 4:30.

You can call and make reservations and pick up tickets one hour before departure at One Harbor Place next to Town Pier.

http://www.acadiainfo.com/olistrolley.htm

Steve,

We're also on the same cruise with you, departing from Baltimore on the Grandeur in October!

We're looking into car rental option to tour around on our own since we have 6 people and excursion costs can add up. Does anyone know how far the airport is from the Harbor Place dock?

Thanks,

BlueHorizon

BlueHorizon,

Great to talk to someone on our cruise!

Harbor Place is a place in the Baltimore Inner Harbor. A great tourist stop, but NOT where the cruise leaves from. I am happy to help, just need a little more to be able to.

Where are you coming from? Where do you want to go?

From BWI Airport to the harbor is about 11 miles. (either destination is about the same in distance)

As I write this I am guessing that you are thinking of flying into Baltimore a day or so early and to sight see Baltimore, before the cruise? Let me know a little more about your plans, and I will be happy to help.

Steve

Steve,

Thank you so much for your quick offer to help. Sorry, I've forgot to mention that I'm also a MD resident (Germantown). I was asking about Harbor Place pier in Bar Harbor, not Baltimore. Found it out thru this link: http://www.barharborguide.com/cruiseships_frame.html.

I'm just a newbie on this board. When I saw your thread, I jumped on it right away because it's also exactly what I want to know (thanks!). Then, I found other threads that mentioned the difficulty of renting a car in Bar Harbor. Maybe it's not such a good idea to try and rent a car there after all. We'd love to rent a minivan and drive to Acadia Park/Desert Island and return for lobster bake lunch. 'Would definitely be cheaper than $600 for all of us if we were to take the excursions! I'm thinking that there may be more cars (particularly, minivans) available for rental if we pick it up at the Bar Harbor airport terminal instead. Then again, I'm not sure where it is in relation to the Harbor Place tender dock. I'd appreciate it very much if anyone can comment on this.

BlueHorizon

BlueHorizon,

Ahh, now I see.

What I have gathered is that it is about a block and a half walk to the spot where the Island Explorer starts from. It is a get on - get off FREE trolley system that goes throughout Acadia. Try this: http://www.exploreacadia.com/

There is also Oli's Trolley (288-9899) (would you believe that there is no area code on the flier I have?)

six people? kids, three couples?

Hi

We will be on the Grand Princess 9/26 out of NY and one stop will be at

Bar Harbor. The ship's tour called Acadia Nat'l Park Scenic Drive (2 1/2 hrs)

at a cost of $39 per adult is the same (I think) that is offered privately

under "Acadia Nat'l Park Tours", with a phone # 207-288-3327.

Their cost is $20 per adult and their add states cruise ships charge double

for this tour. Times are 10AM and 2PM with private company.

I assume this includes the National Parks entrance fee???

What are my chances if we wait till the ship tenders and then we try and get tickets for private tour??

Any help would be appreciated.

The shuttle should take you to the same places that a tour does. Bar Harbor is located on the Island of Mt. Desert (pronounced either as a very dry place or a wonderful thing to eat after dinner) - We pronounce it the dinner way. To get any type of cab, one would have to go approx 20 and off island. The shuttle will take you around the loop road - to sand beach (enjoy our cold cold water, sure to turn your toes blue!) thunder hole booms with water when the tide is coming in - The shuttle will also take you up the mountain, where you will see wonderful views of the islands, water, rocks, hills, valley's, etc. Lots of trees...make sure you dress in layers, we have not had a summer yet this year ... and many times have our first frost the end of August ... it could also be 80 ....Enjoy - I would also recommend Oli's trolleys, but not bikes as there is a lot of "tourist" traffic in town and the roads get very busy - Getty's for lunch is fun (pronounced Jettys) - small local shops (lots of our college students work in town) Any questions please let me know. Jan

Jan,

Frost or 80? A packing nightmare I think. As we will be in early October I am leaning towards the frost, but with walking I understand the layers.

We plan on talking the Island Explorer shuttle. What are you MUST-SEE points?

Steve, thanks for the info on free trolley rides, etc. I still have to do a lot of research for the next 6 wks. We have a party of 6 adults (3 couples), and it seems I'm the only one who has time to do any research beforehand. :-)

Thanks to everyone else for your suggestions so far. I can't imagine frost in August!! Packing will be a challenge for sure.

Jan, do you know where the Harbor Place is address-wise? I'd like to look it up on MapQuest and pre-print some directions to take with us.

Thanks again,

BlueHorizon

Hi Steve -- we just got back from our cruise today. We found out the same information that Jan just gave you. (Thanks, Jan!) I would certainly do it that way and not opt for the tour, as you will be able to go at your own pace independent of the tour.

We did not go to Acadia NP this time, as we chose to wander about the town on foot. We picked up a walking tour map at the tender terminal, but deviated a bit. Bar Harbor is a beautiful place to visit, and I agree that one day is not enough. But if this is your first time there and the weather is good, I highly suggest a visit to Acadia NP. Views from atop Cadillac Mountain are spectacular when Mother Nature cooperates.

We also visited Quebec City, Charlottetown (PEI), Sydney, and Halifax.

Jan,

Frost or 80? A packing nightmare I think. As we will be in early October I am leaning towards the frost, but with walking I understand the layers.

We plan on talking the Island Explorer shuttle. What are you MUST-SEE points?

In October you could have both a frost and temps in the 80's, though more than likely you'll see 60's and 70's during the day with the evenings in the 40's or 50's. It can vary some along the coast vs. inland a bit. Layers are definitely a good bet.

• 2 weeks later...
We are going on the Grand Princess oct 3- 10. I would appreciate more tour info. If you ha ve links or company names. Also in Boston, Halifax, st. John.

We are doing the Grand on Sept 12th renting a car in halifax from Enterprize.. right across the street from where we dock. 42.72 (can) for a full size, but we used the entertainment book coupon to save another 20%.. and I use Microsoft streets and trip planner and plotted out a course to Peggys cove.. via a coastal route.. and return via inner lanes.

St Johns.. we booked via www.freedonmtours.com and used package 1 which used to be package 2

Bar Harbor we booked with Dick Coughs acadiatours

http://www.acadiatours.com/more5.html

Hope that helps

If you do book with one of these folks.. let them know jimcat sent ya their way. I told em I would perhaps let folks know

Thanks

Archived