Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good Sunday Morning All ....

Today’s Clarkson is speaking on my behalf ......... :)

“Argue with today’s youth and they’ll call you a racist — then start blubbing”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/jeremy-clarkson-argue-with-todays-youth-and-theyll-call-you-a-racist-then-start-blubbing-2mj6mbkxc?shareToken=275b7bc4e05f72d7a949d0e9a24a5c61

Here is a picture taken in northern BC - 30 second exposure, showing the aurora borealis above, and one of the forest fires below. I find it hauntingly beautiful.

iframe>

Edited by MLeh
I suck at linking to pictures.

My teacher at mime school really hated me.

Was it something I said?

I once worked with a black guy from Texas who said to Korean middle school students -

"I's here to learn ya to talk English good." :rolleyes:

Greetings Coolers!

For myriad and multi-faceted reasons Myster and I decided to undertake another grand adventure starting early next year. Due to Cooler Bar restrictions no further details relating to cruise line or ship can be discussed here. There will be some of the above-mentioned details in a separate thread. The Cooler denizens will not be forgotten though! Stay tuned!

Today's funny......from Meanwhile In Australia.....

39408793_2285735381499055_6782005182906499072_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=048ea374d3a385af2a42cf20cb4030ce&oe=5BF4D8F7

Have a great day all!

Greetings Coolers!

Hope everyone is doing well! It was very quiet here yesterday. In fact I had to pour my own libation as the Cooler bartender had gone for a walk-about. I put fresh peanut shells on the floor and dusted a few stools. Good to go!

Today's funny...

life%2Bafter%2Bdeath.jpg

Have a great day all!

Excellent funny M! I guess we are all reeling with the excitement of your future adventure!

Today, it is much more mundane here. My barber is coming to give me a haircut followed by packing Helga for the trip down to seaside early tomorrow morning ie we leave at around 1am to miss as much traffic as possible arriving around 3:30ish. Helga is large but only two seats and most of the boot (trunk) has the roof contraption so fitting stuff in is like a tiresome jigsaw puzzle. Also the boot lid doesn't stay up and I can't be bothered to have it fixed so it keeps bouncing on my head ..... We have a Waitrose delivery at Seaside at around lunch time so I normally don't even bother going to bed. Hope to have some fresh fish on the balcony.

Good to hear that you are recovering Dave ...

Safe travels to Seaside J and Mrs J! Have a wonderful time! The boot lid bouncing on your head is not good for preventing concussions! If a repair is not in the cards perhaps a football (American not soccer) helmet is an option. :)

Good news that you are in the land of the living DW. Hope you feel tip-top soon!

I found an interesting list of the 50 cheapest one and two star Michelin restaurants around the world. It can be sorted by location, price, or type of meal.

https://www.traveloka.com/special/cheapest-michelin-meals

M, I posted piccies of the chicken rice stall in Singapore ie the cheapest on the whole world list which is in the Chinatown complex some time back. We use to eat there regularly before the rating because you could just roll up. Now there is a two hour queue every day and the locals that use to eat there simply go somewhere else. The issue overlooked I think is that although the food is good, Michelin were looking for places to award that were really cheap in order to generate publicity for the guide and pretty much all hawker stalls have to be good in order to survive as they all rely on almost sollely on daily regular local traffic. A stall with a queue will be good and/or cheap and one with no queues less so. We are all different and I rarely feel relaxed and comfortable in upper priced restaurants and reallythoroughly enjoy eatingexactly with and where locals eat when we travel.

When you are researching I wonder whether there is any experiential advantage in seeing if there are local volunteer guides in some of your posrts as they work out of love and have a much more personal approach than organised professionalt tours. I guess it might feel to be a bit more hit and miss but many people receive dissapointments when they pay big bucks if you read what people post.

EDIT TO ADD: In today's Strait Times ...

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/food/hawker-culture-to-be-nominated-for-unesco-heritage-list-8-famous-stalls-in-singapore

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I agree J! In fact the article I was reading (where I found the link I posted) said exactly what you are saying about the down sides of Michelin star ratings on their restaurants. One owner said that people were coming to take pictures and not to eat. She wanted to give the Michelin star back. The idea of getting recommendations from local guides is a good one! I have checked out Tripadvisor for some places and, as you know, those reviews are mostly from travelers.

Article link:

https://ottawacitizen.com/life/food/where-can-you-find-the-worlds-cheapest-michelin-star-meal/wcm/45f6981c-361e-4160-b3c9-05f3670d6148

Edited by mysty

Yes ... I meant seeking out local amateur tour guides rather than for food. They have volunteers in Vienna for example and it seems so much more personal and genuine from what I have read.

In the link I added - at the top of the page is the link to "food" and you can see a fair amount of content without buying a subscription.

I'm back on my stool. Thank you for the fresh dusting and new peanut shells, Mysty! What a most fabulous trip you have planned! I'm so glad you're taking us all along virtually!

Jeffy's trunk lid brought back memories of my beloved Honda CRX, Ruby. Her hatch wouldn't stay up anymore without an expensive fix. John found me a telescoping pole that would do the trick. Colapsed to about 15 inches and when extended was tall enough to keep the lid up nicely. Did have to be a little careful, but when wedged, worked like a charm. Anything to keep our precious babies operational!!

Working on the shoe thing as well, Spins!

Over the hump day! Have a good one, all.

Thanks Linda! :)

And thanks for adding the link J! I have it bookmarked now. And I thought you were talking about volunteer guides as a resource. We got a restaurant suggestion one time from a Hop On Hop Off bus driver in Dublin. It was not a very good restaurant.