Another visitor - Explorer Dream

The_Big_M

A new arrival will be based out of Sydney and Auckland for 6 months from Oct 19-Mar 20 - Explorer Dream on 21 cruises. This is the current Superstar Virgo, being refurbished as she changes owners next year.

They will be marketing more to Chinese guests for visits here; I'm not sure if they plan to have it bilingual and equally cater for both markets, or some other arrangement. Time will tell!

Dream Cruises definitely will want local but upmarket passengers. They are pitching themselves on a level similar to perhaps Celebrity or Viking. You don't base a ship in Aust/NZ for months and not have bilingual staff. But they'll need to do a very good job on SuperStar Virgo as the reviews of that ship and Star Cruises seem to be very ordinary (and I'm sailing on her in Dec).

A new arrival will be based out of Sydney and Auckland for 6 months from Oct 19-Mar 20 - Explorer Dream on 21 cruises. This is the current Superstar Virgo, being refurbished as she changes owners next year.

They will be marketing more to Chinese guests for visits here; I'm not sure if they plan to have it bilingual and equally cater for both markets, or some other arrangement. Time will tell!

It's more of an in-house shuffle than changing owners.

Star cruises and Dream Cruises are both owned by Genting Hong Kong.

Genting Hong Kong own Star, Dream and Norwegian. Norwegian is obviously their large, mainstream brand. Star was meant to be the big player in Asia but never quite made it and have ended up doing mostly gambling short cruises using older mid-sized ships. Virgo is their largest ship and only one purpose built for Star. Now they've started Dream, which is really a second attempt to do what they originally intended for Star, with larger modern ships aimed at a higher market. Virgo a.k.a. Explorer Dream is an older mid sized ship and will need a lot of work to make her equal in standard to their other newbuilds.

Genting Hong Kong own Star, Dream and Norwegian. Norwegian is obviously their large, mainstream brand. Star was meant to be the big player in Asia but never quite made it and have ended up doing mostly gambling short cruises using older mid-sized ships. Virgo is their largest ship and only one purpose built for Star. Now they've started Dream, which is really a second attempt to do what they originally intended for Star, with larger modern ships aimed at a higher market. Virgo a.k.a. Explorer Dream is an older mid sized ship and will need a lot of work to make her equal in standard to their other newbuilds.

Mid size ship - how many passengers?

Mid size ship - how many passengers?

1870 passengers.

Details of their itineraries have since been released, an interesting arrangement.

- Six one week Queensland and the Barrier Reef Cruises, starting October 27 2019, calling at Mooloolaba/Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle and Gladstone;

- Seven one week North and South New Zealand Cruises starting mid December calling at Wellington, Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound, Dunedin, Napier, Bay of Islands, Akaroa, Picton, and Gisborne;

- Eight one week Tasmania Island and Melbourne Cruises, starting February 9 2020, calling at Port Arthur, Hobart, Burnie, Melbourne, Phillip Island and Eden

Have sailed on Superstar Virgo...in Asia. Nothing wrong with the ship or food or amenities....it's all about the passengers and crew. A bit like Stalag 13..."you've eaten in the dinning room!...you can't enter the buffet as well!". You had to swipe your card at each eatery. Whether they'll continue that game in Australian waters...is yet to be seen.

Have sailed on Superstar Virgo...in Asia. Nothing wrong with the ship or food or amenities....it's all about the passengers and crew. A bit like Stalag 13..."you've eaten in the dinning room!...you can't enter the buffet as well!". You had to swipe your card at each eatery. Whether they'll continue that game in Australian waters...is yet to be seen.

Are you serious?

I've been known to enjoy my main meal in the dining room, than have a delicious looking dessert I spotted in the buffet?

Is it the same as Superstar Leo? I remember that we used to have to take a cook's tour from our cabin to the dining room - up and over and down (actually next door to our cabin).

1870 passengers.

Details of their itineraries have since been released, an interesting arrangement.

- Six one week Queensland and the Barrier Reef Cruises, starting October 27 2019, calling at Mooloolaba/Sunshine Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle and Gladstone;

- Seven one week North and South New Zealand Cruises starting mid December calling at Wellington, Milford Sound/ Doubtful Sound, Dunedin, Napier, Bay of Islands, Akaroa, Picton, and Gisborne;

- Eight one week Tasmania Island and Melbourne Cruises, starting February 9 2020, calling at Port Arthur, Hobart, Burnie, Melbourne, Phillip Island and Eden

Thank you.

Those itineraries rule me out as I don't do one week cruises, nor back to back one week cruises.

I loved my cruise on Superstar Leo from Sydney to Darwin, following the SARS epidemic.