Travel insurance - with pre-existings??

I obviously was under several misunderstandings with regard to complimentary credit card cover.

I knew DH and I both had a pre existing which was on the list of allowed conditions. So today I telephone Allianz and explained that we had booked a holiday and had pre existing as said and what should we do.

She explained that for any of the pre existing conditions covered they would do a telephone assessment with the person concerned to see if they would give cover for that condition.

This assessment would cost $75 per person and would be required for every holiday in the future if we wanteed cover for that; it would not be logged onto our account and automatically,covered so it requires $150 EVERY trip. They would not charge the fee if they decided not to give cover.

HOWEVER if you did not go through this arrangement the travel insurance is still available free for everything else but not if anything was associated with the conditions then there would not be cover. So I asked if this cover would be for cancellation so long as it was not associated with the conditions and theft, delay and etc and she said yes and also said that if for instance you fell over and broke a leg because this would not be associated with the conditions we chose not to cover the medicals for that WOULD BE COVERED That is a much better scenario than I had thought

I too called Allianz re our CC insurance. First phone call would cover myself and not my husband. Then called Insure and Go and there policy was almost double what they insured my husband for I for in April for Hawaii.

Third phone call, almost as expensive was NRMA.

The next day rang Allianz again and the charge for my was $45,which I was happy with, but the great news was that they would now cover my husband for $45 with his pre existing. Their original ideas was to give him a $900policy thru Westpac, but 45minutes later and after two more assessments I now have a policy for both of us, covering pre existing for $90. I have it in writing with all our pre existing covered. Hope I don’t need it, but happy eventually with the outcome.

Back in April for Hawaii, Allianz wouldn’t cover either of us!

We do have to apply each time we travel though.

I am greatful for this thread as Westpac used to use QBE we we had used and made a claim with out an issue and I would not have know if I hadn’t read it here.

Anyway at the moment, we are quite happy! Cheryle

I too called Allianz re our CC insurance. First phone call would cover myself and not my husband. Then called Insure and Go and there policy was almost double what they insured my husband for I for in April for Hawaii.

Third phone call, almost as expensive was NRMA.

The next day rang Allianz again and the charge for my was $45,which I was happy with, but the great news was that they would now cover my husband for $45 with his pre existing. Their original ideas was to give him a $900policy thru Westpac, but 45minutes later and after two more assessments I now have a policy for both of us, covering pre existing for $90. I have it in writing with all our pre existing covered. Hope I don’t need it, but happy eventually with the outcome.

Back in April for Hawaii, Allianz wouldn’t cover either of us!

We do have to apply each time we travel though.

I am greatful for this thread as Westpac used to use QBE we we had used and made a claim with out an issue and I would not have know if I hadn’t read it here.

Anyway at the moment, we are quite happy! Cheryle

That's amazing well done. So the trick is to keep putting in assessments until they cover you. Doesn't make a lot of sense. But I will try that next time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Hi Cheryle, Did you do al this online or contact them by phone?

Hi,

I did this via the phone. I rang them up the following day just to make sure I would be covered as I am not the primary card holder. They then gave me a price for my husband via Westpac Insurance and this was around $900. Then she said let’s check your husband again, after ages and I was getting a bit annoyed re the time, she said he was covered. She then doubled checked and issued a policy and I paid $90. I thought I had won lotto as he has many pre exisiting conditions.

I thank you also for starting this thread a long time ago as I also thought we were covered and we were with QBE. They wouldn’t cover us for our Hawaii trip in April, but I now have this policy. Also, it appeared that the guyI spoke to the day before was very sloppy in documentation and thus it was done again.

I guess it doesn’t hurt to check again, it worked for us.

Cheryle

Thanks Cheryl

Have Insure & go policy atm managed to change it to a annual multi so ok at the minute. But will definitely try again in the future.

My partner has only one PE but it is to do with the heart not that he has needed any treatment or drugs or further investigation. But it is now on the books. But unfortunately insurance companies only hear the word heart and go weak at the knees so to speak...lol

Thanks Cheryl

Have Insure & go policy atm managed to change it to a annual multi so ok at the minute. But will definitely try again in the future.

My partner has only one PE but it is to do with the heart not that he has needed any treatment or drugs or further investigation. But it is now on the books. But unfortunately insurance companies only hear the word heart and go weak at the knees so to speak...lol

We used InsureandGo for Hawaii. I obtained a yearly price last week from Insure and go and it as $2300 for both of us and $950for one trip. In March it was $680 for Hawaii for both of us, so I was shocked this time.

Who knows, next time Allianz might so no!

Unfortunately as we get older, it is something we must have and I said to my husband, if we can’t afford the travel insurance, we can’t afford the trip. I was just lucky this time!

We used InsureandGo for Hawaii. I obtained a yearly price last week from Insure and go and it as $2300 for both of us and $950for one trip. In March it was $680 for Hawaii for both of us, so I was shocked this time.

Who knows, next time Allianz might so no!

Unfortunately as we get older, it is something we must have and I said to my husband, if we can’t afford the travel insurance, we can’t afford the trip. I was just lucky this time!

Agree.... lol.

Ours was $692 then changed to Annual $874.

This was cover for both of us including PE for partner. (45 day)

Hope everyone gets lucky with their TI.

Jean

Any suggestion for good travel insurance from USA. We are planning a transpacific cruise for end of 2019. We did book it some months ago. I forgot about travel insurance when we booked the cruise

We used Covermore last time we went to the states. There are a lot of Travel Ins companies out there. If you qualify for Complimentary Travel Ins with your credit card that is the cheapest way. But as this thread topic is about, getting difficult if you have a pre existing condition that is not on the Travel Ins company Product Disclosure Statement (PDS). All sound good until god forbid you have to make a claim. Research well.

Also whatever policy you end up getting make sure it covers "Medical evacuation from ship"

Any suggestion for good travel insurance from USA. We are planning a transpacific cruise for end of 2019. We did book it some months ago. I forgot about travel insurance when we booked the cruise

We used I sure and go for ours TP in April. We did make a small claim which was paid within 2 weeks. They did classify our cancelled flight as a delay which made the payment slightly different apparently. Anyway we did get most of what we claimed back with not a great deal of inconvenience.

Well I got it in writing from Allianz today as below:

......in brief if you were wanting cover for the existing medical conditions there would be a $75 administration fee per person

if we agreed to cover the conditions,

if you are not wanting to declare the condition of if we were to decline cover for the conditions you would still have full cover for any new conditions or injury’s that may develop

aslong as they are not connected with you existing medical conditions

the option is always yours to declare or not to declare your existing conditions if you choose not to you will still have the full cover for everything else

Well I got it in writing from Allianz today as below:

......in brief if you were wanting cover for the existing medical conditions there would be a $75 administration fee per person

if we agreed to cover the conditions,

if you are not wanting to declare the condition of if we were to decline cover for the conditions you would still have full cover for any new conditions or injury’s that may develop

aslong as they are not connected with you existing medical conditions

the option is always yours to declare or not to declare your existing conditions if you choose not to you will still have the full cover for everything else

A New Zealand lady on holiday in Bali Indonesia failed to disclose that she had a bowel problem to her insurance company. Whilst in Bali she had bowel problems requiring emergency surgery and because she had an undeclared medical condition her insurance company wiped their hands of her. The result she died in hospital in Bali and her family are left with many thousands of dollars of hospital bills. In this instance the NZ public raised around $250k so the family maybe spared this huge bill.

What I am getting at is that insurance companies if they can find an out they will. When often spending tens of thousands of dollars on an overseas holiday is it worth a couple of hundred dollars to avoid paying insurance on an existing condition if it means you come home safe and sound

I got declined for cover by Allianz today re using ANZ Platinum Card Travel Insurance for cruise/land travel to Hawaii next year. Had to declare pre existing Atrial Fibrillation. Strange that former card insurer QBE accepted it.:evilsmile:

Now taken policy with NRMA (Covermore) now on assessment.:halo:

I got declined for cover by Allianz today re using ANZ Platinum Card Travel Insurance for cruise/land travel to Hawaii next year. Had to declare pre existing Atrial Fibrillation. Strange that former card insurer QBE accepted it.:evilsmile:

Now taken policy with NRMA (Covermore) now on assessment.:halo:

We also were knocked back by Allianz for Hawaii in April, but also QBE would cover us. Strange that now Allianz now will cover us for Japan and a small South Pacific cruise for $45 each. I was most upset that my husbands problem was 21years ago but I was told it will be held for life.

I

We also were knocked back by Allianz for Hawaii in April, but also QBE would cover us. Strange that now Allianz now will cover us for Japan and a small South Pacific cruise for $45 each. I was most upset that my husbands problem was 21years ago but I was told it will be held for life.

I

Thanks for the reply, it seems those words...USA plus heart plus age scares Allianz.:evilsmile::rolleyes:

I

I hope someone in Allianz hasn't made a mistake but if you have it in writing from them with included PE you should be ok.......

I hope someone in Allianz hasn't made a mistake but if you have it in writing from them with included PE you should be ok.......

I have it in writing twice! I rung again on Saturday before I booked a small cruise, all covered. Don’t worry I had thought of this!😱😱😱.

Hopefully won’t have to use it! I am starting to think our cruising/overseas days could be coming to an end though. They sure don’t like that 70 number, and got forbid you get any older than that!

I have it in writing twice! I rung again on Saturday before I booked a small cruise, all covered. Don’t worry I had thought of this![emoji33][emoji33][emoji33].

Hopefully won’t have to use it! I am starting to think our cruising/overseas days could be coming to an end though. They sure don’t like that 70 number, and got forbid you get any older than that!

I hear you. Cheap holidays are suddenly getting more expensive!!. Don't give up just yet [emoji4]

I hear you. Cheap holidays are suddenly getting more expensive!!. Don't give up just yet [emoji4]

I have said if we can’t afford the insurance, we can’t afford the holiday, but boy it is difficult. I also have the problem of my husbands dietary requirements too!

Staying home is a whole lot easier at the moment!

As promised an update on my travel insurance claim.

Background - using my ANZ credit card insurance paid extra for pre existing cover, all done prior to the change over from QBE to Allianz as underwriters.

Developed a blood clot just before my trip to USA so had to cancel.

Advised insurance company, had to wait for travel company to suppy paperwork.

Lodged the claim Wednesday last week, verbal confirmation claim approved Monday this week, today received email confirming $$ transfered to my bank.

Don't know if their efficiency is related to the terrible publicity Allianz is receiving at the moment, but I am one very happy customer.

Sadly QBE are no longer underwriters and Allianz will not cover me for my pre exisitng, which will be even harder now that I have had to make a claim, but I am not giving up yet!!

I won't be flying anywhere in the near future which will give me time to research the other companies. Also CBA are changing from Allianz to covermore - zurich on 1 October.

I am guessing the banks and insurance companies have a tender arrangement.

Tara Jane Covermore will cover you for a lot of pre existing. We have a 12 month policy world wide apart from the USA and holidays under 30 days for $NZ1260. For an extension from 30 to 45 days it will cost us an extra $NZ70. Pre existing conditions, include: hypertension, diabetes, ischaemic heart condition, depression, high chlorestrol, post kidney failure ( no dialysis requirements) which is reasonably extensive. I had an accident a couple of months ago in Thailand requiring a medevac back to NZ and they picked up the tab without an issue. They are Flight Centres in house travel insurance company

• 2 weeks later...

Nothing new from me but having a rant anyway

Just tried ANZ - Allianz today with exactly the same "pre existing conditions" that ANZ - QBE have covered many times (and will cover for 2 more cruises through to May 2019 as I got in before the cutover) - of course they declined me on them. Of course I'm still covered for all the other elements of the policy just not the medical items for pre existing conditions

So off to Insure & Go I go and they covered me with the pre existing conditions for an additional premium - no problems (and I used the Groupon20 code)

The ANZ Black Frequent Flyer VISA card will definitely not be getting renewed when it comes up for renewal

Those credit card companies are really walking away from those with pre existing conditions

Well an interesting update....24 hours is a long time in Travel Insurance land...

There maybe some light at the end of the tunnel - dependant of course on individual situations - but here’s what’s happened so others may benefit

After the decline yesterday I asked them yesterday to review my request - not expecting any change but rolling the dice given I have nothing to lose - they said it would take up to 3 days for the review

Well today I got an email from Allianz advising me that they will on this occasion cover all my preexisting conditions and extend cover under the credit card policy. They haven’t even asked for the $75 processing fee and I haven’t reminded them about that

Whilst a little nervous about the validity of this change of heart I do have a letter and several emails confirming the preexisting conditions are covered for this trip so I’m sure that would stand up if they tried to renege on that in the event of a claim

So I will now cancel the Insure and Go policy under the 14 day change of mind provision and save myself over $200

Now for clarity - my trip is a cruise from Bali to Sydney for 21 days - so no USA visit - so I guess that de-risks it considerably for them. Who knows how they’ll treat a future request that does include the US - but at least there’s a chink appearing in the armour