Packing Cubes

ChuckL88

I love them. I carry a couple of days worth of clothes in my hand luggage in one (twice now I've made flights that my luggage hasn't, being without at least one change of undies etc is not a risk I'm willing to take.). I flat pack the rest of my stuff in the others in my suitcase. I have more expensive Kathmandu ones but found the best (and most light weight) were about $8 from wish.

Thanks for the reply MrPantsOz

Good to hear that the cheap price didn't mean cheap quality, I am thankful I don't have to worry about flights well at least for my first cruise at least.

Chuck, the ones from Big W are great. We’ve used them a few time and they don’t show any signs of giving up. For a family of 4 we have two sets of big w, two sets of Kmart and a couple of hand me down Kathmandu cubes from my mother-in-law.

I forgot to mention that, like AKAMum, we also use one cube to keep a set of travelling clothes for all four of us if we are overnighting somewhere pre-cruise. Saves rifling around in every cube before unpacking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi again Sonja

Thanks for the quick response, good to hear the Big W set are good, as they are my front runners at the moment. Might also try the Kmart set just for extras if I need them.

Aldi only have them when they do their travel specials so if you are in a hurry i would go Big W as they probably have stock all year round. I am guessing about 4 or so times a year Aldi has a travel specials catalogue.

Hey again Tara

In no hurry at all, just cruise planning at the moment. Thinking of buying the set from Big W and giving them a small trip test. Thanks for the quick reply

I find them very helpful. I pack by purpose (if that makes any sense). So one cube is for pre-cruise/post-cruise clothing, another is for cruise clothing. I use another smaller one for footwear and another for “devices and supports” so flat iron, chargers, blow dryer etc. Makes organizing my luggage so much quicker. We will be leaving when it’s 20 below going to where it is 70 degrees so need a range of clothing door to door!

Thanks for the reply Thorpe

Sounds like the really helped, do you happen to remember the name of the bag shop?

I hope you enjoy your upcoming cruise.

The shop was Bags Only. If you google it you will find them. They aren’t fully online yet but do have a store in Liverpool but mostly in Victoria. Mine are more for clothes . I took a pic this morning while I wait around in hotel room until I can walk down to Majestic to board. The wait is hard [emoji1]. I have to fly to any port and was also worried about weight but they are very light. I was also one who thought they wouldn’t be any use but have been converted . The 3 were around $35 for the set I think , not as economical as others but price is subjective.

The pic is of the 3 sizes and I bought a set in each colour. My sunnies are there to show the size.

IMG_1510.thumb.JPG.7cd64dd35cf1e2c2943ed63090454fb3.JPG

I find them very helpful. I pack by purpose (if that makes any sense). So one cube is for pre-cruise/post-cruise clothing, another is for cruise clothing. I use another smaller one for footwear and another for “devices and supports” so flat iron, chargers, blow dryer etc. Makes organizing my luggage so much quicker. We will be leaving when it’s 20 below going to where it is 70 degrees so need a range of clothing door to door!

Yep - flying from 30c (very warm North Qld) to Amsterdam and London for Christmas this year then return to a cruise in Aus 16 days later. This includes a stopover in Abu Dhabi at 40c for 4 days - and still don’t need packing cubes, flat irons, blow dryers (ship supply these don’t they?) and will require same range of clothing [emoji38]. Packed our own suitcase, know what’s in them, don’t need cubes - just saying.

The OP asked our thoughts, these are mine. I don’t use them as I don’t need to, our trips always include at least two domestic flights with 23kg (50lb) limits on luggage - prefer to pack more interesting things than packing cubes!

I understand your desire to use them though MsYukon and respect it [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

With you GUT2407, waste of space in a suitcase! Always watching extra weight too, we have to fly to our cruises, every gram count.

Thanks for the insight porky, did you see that Carnival Spirit will be based out of Brisbane from 2020?

Thanks for the reply MsYukon :)

The shop was Bags Only. If you google it you will find them. They aren’t fully online yet but do have a store in Liverpool but mostly in Victoria. Mine are more for clothes . I took a pic this morning while I wait around in hotel room until I can walk down to Majestic to board. The wait is hard [emoji1]. I have to fly to any port and was also worried about weight but they are very light. I was also one who thought they wouldn’t be any use but have been converted . The 3 were around $35 for the set I think , not as economical as others but price is subjective.

The pic is of the 3 sizes and I bought a set in each colour. My sunnies are there to show the size.

[ATTACH]428369[/ATTACH]

Hi Helen

Just googled them the store in Liverpool isn't far away from me should check them out as well as that whole centre there. The image is showing me exactly what I wanted, great to hear from a packing cube convert thanks and have fun :)

Yep - flying from 30c (very warm North Qld) to Amsterdam and London for Christmas this year then return to a cruise in Aus 16 days later. This includes a stopover in Abu Dhabi at 40c for 4 days - and still don’t need packing cubes, flat irons, blow dryers (ship supply these don’t they?) and will require same range of clothing [emoji38]. Packed our own suitcase, know what’s in them, don’t need cubes - just saying.

The OP asked our thoughts, these are mine. I don’t use them as I don’t need to, our trips always include at least two domestic flights with 23kg (50lb) limits on luggage - prefer to pack more interesting things than packing cubes!

I understand your desire to use them though MsYukon and respect it [emoji106]

Thanks again porky and thank you for respecting everyone else's choices

Thanks for the insight porky, did you see that Carnival Spirit will be based out of Brisbane from 2020?

Did see that, and on our list to cruise with them again, but Brisbane is still 1000km from us or a 1 1/2 hr flight [emoji15].

Oh well, we do live in the tropics [emoji907][emoji41]

Did see that, and on our list to cruise with them again, but Brisbane is still 1000km from us or a 1 1/2 hr flight [emoji15].

Oh well, we do live in the tropics [emoji907][emoji41]

Hey Porky

Good to hear that she gets repeat customers, shows me I am right to book her.

Damn travel we need more ports, sounds like you live in a holiday for me :)

I have packing cubes from Kathmandu although I did just lookup the big w ones and they do look nice would need to compare quality in person.

Packing cubes vs not is just like roll vs flat packing. Everyonehas their preference.

I’ve used packing cubes on several short trips an am lookingforward to using them on a longer trip next month.

Why I like them

They stop things flying around in suitcase if its not packedto the brim. Also good for softer bags like duffles. I find I can pack more inless space. Group things together like only formal wear or all warm weatherclothes if travelling with two different climates. Or sharing a suitcase with a partner or halfpacking in each if you worried about losing your case. Ive got a bunch ofdifferent sizes and colours. The ones I don’t end up using I often throw in oneor two empty one to separate my dirty clothes but also for anything extra I buy :)

I have packing cubes from Kathmandu although I did just lookup the big w ones and they do look nice would need to compare quality in person.

Packing cubes vs not is just like roll vs flat packing. Everyonehas their preference.

I’ve used packing cubes on several short trips an am lookingforward to using them on a longer trip next month.

Why I like them

They stop things flying around in suitcase if its not packedto the brim. Also good for softer bags like duffles. I find I can pack more inless space. Group things together like only formal wear or all warm weatherclothes if travelling with two different climates. Or sharing a suitcase with a partner or halfpacking in each if you worried about losing your case. Ive got a bunch ofdifferent sizes and colours. The ones I don’t end up using I often throw in oneor two empty one to separate my dirty clothes but also for anything extra I buy :)

Thanks for the reply Nelie

I am leaning towards the Big W brand as they seam like the best quality without a huge price tag.

Hey Porky

Good to hear that she gets repeat customers, shows me I am right to book her.

Damn travel we need more ports, sounds like you live in a holiday for me :)

Definitelydo!!

And you must try the sushi restaurant on board - if you like it. One of the better ones.

Also, bought my original (now packed away) packing cubes from Bagworld

https://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/search/?query=Packing+cubes

Must admit we do use the Eagle Creek folders a fair bit, they are very cool [emoji6]

a2614d2acd7a9e6d0d69de5991987a73.jpg

Edited by Porky55

The good thing about packing cubes is transferring them from suitcase to drawers. Unzip and this to go.

Yeah exactly this.

It also helps to keep everyone's clothes organised. I can pull out a packing cell and know - ok this one is Miss 10's shirts and undies, and THIS one is Miss 5's shirts and undies. You don't end up digging in every pocket of every bag looking for one person's socks, or mixing clothes up etc. If you're travelling solo or just with a spouse maybe it's not such a big deal, but I find that travelling with 4 people, it's a real timesaver.

I also use them to pack handy stuff, like chargers, torch, camera memory cards etc will go in one. Then laundry supplies and travel mugs/plates etc go in another.

Thanks for the reply Nelie

I am leaning towards the Big W brand as they seam like the best quality without a huge price tag.

My mum hasn't used them but was asking me questions about mine on the last trip. The big w ones I saw were purple, her favourite colour so I might get her a set to see if she finds them useful.:D

I’ve be using them for years. They were purchased from Kathmandu when they have 2 for the price of 3 sale. I also use them for travel adapters and other small items to keep them organised

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive had mine for years too starting at an Eagle Creek 'fold it' flat type packer and a cube that had zips on each side, one side for clean undies, one for dirty.

Since then Ive done the same as you, Katmandu sales. I also have one just for 'stuff' all those items like adaptors, charges, mini sewing & medical kit, anything small really you dont want floating around in your bag. I pack them on their side in my case not flat in the bottom of the case. I like Katmandu's shoe bags too.

My cubes I bought on eBay arrived today, 5 for $17. They look ok. Checked prices today for BigW cubes, $25 for 3, then checked Strandbags and they were also $25 for 3.

Edited by lyndarra
spelling typo

Hi all

I am planning for my first cruise and just want to get opinions on packing cubes.

a) Do you use them and why?

b) Where did you get yours and price range?

c) How do you pack them e.g. rolling or folding?

d) What do you pack in them and how do you pack what you don't pack in them?

Hi,

I can only endorse the majority of replies. I’ve done far more flights then cruises but as they say I wouldn’t leave home without them. We:

Fold fat as per commercial laundry and put as many items as possible in each so no wrinkles.

Having experienced airlines losing luggage on 2 different flights use different colours for husband and myself so half my luggage goes in my case and vice versa.

All adapters and spare batteries go into hand luggage in a small cube and medication in another small cube so they can easily be retrieved if airline decides your hand luggage has to go into the hole (not because it’s too big or heavy but other passengers take up too much space)

Definitelydo!!

And you must try the sushi restaurant on board - if you like it. One of the better ones.

Also, bought my original (now packed away) packing cubes from Bagworld

https://www.bagworld.com.au/shop/search/?query=Packing+cubes

Must admit we do use the Eagle Creek folders a fair bit, they are very cool [emoji6]

Thanks again porky

I'm not the hugest sushi fan but may try some on the ship, I am sorry to admit but I don't understand the fuss with these folders.