Let's start a "Don't Miss List" in Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway

KENLORJUS

We'll be cruising to Alaska this July:

Juneau- pilot's choice helicopter tour. It was cancelled last time we were in Alaska so we're hoping for the best.

Skagway- zip line. Then shopping

Ketchikan- rented a boat for salmon fishing. On our own, not through the ship. We wanted to rent the whole boat.

Victoria- Butchart gardens. My husband thinks he'll dislike this and he says he's only doing it for me but I know he'll enjoy it.

What zip lining did you go with? I think we would like to do this in Skagway as well and was just looking into options.

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, its behind gates. Its about a 1/2hr drive from the pier. With such a short port time, going with the ships excursion is the best option.

Beacon Hill Park is close to the Ogden Point pier.

http://www.beaconhillpark.ca/beacon_hill_park.html

There are several other gardens. Look at Victoria's web site or download the Visitor Guide.....i included a link in the Helpful Resources thread.

For people with that short evening stop, i usually recommend that they walk to the Inner Harbor for lovely views of the Parliament Bldgs, Empress Hotel,, the busy harbor, hanging baskets, buskers, etc. About halfway in the walk, maybe 15 minues, you come to Fishermans Wharf which is an interesting spot ....working dock, restaurants, floating homes, seals. http://fishermanswharfvictoria.com

This is what we did..... when we got off ship, there were some helpful volunteers,and walking maps provided. We headed to Fishermans wharf,very cool- then downtown,where most stores were closed on a Saturday night(?) lots of restaurants open though, very pretty to wander around,and take pictures at sunset. We saw seals while still on the ship,just floating around.

Doing my first cruise ever in July, to Alaska. So, need some tips. However, I CAN give some pointers for Victoria as I go there on average every 1.5 years! Hope it is ok to add it even though it isn't part of the original topic.

I have Skagway and Ketchikan sorted out, but I'm in a dilemma for Juneau. Ship arrives at 2 PM, and departs at 10 PM. I have no idea how long it takes to get off the ship, so hard to reserve tickets for non-cruise line tours.

Is Mendenhall really worth it for people who aren't particularly outdoorsy, AND whose cruise is spending the next day in Glacier Bay? I'm on the fence, and my friend is fine with skipping it. Neither one of us is remotely interested in the helicopters (for more than just the cost). Is it true that it is a mile and a half each way to even see it from the visitor center?

We ARE doing the Mt. Roberts tram, and am open to exploring the city. However, I haven't been able to find a hop on, hop off bus which is my usual favorite way of exploring a new touristy city for the first time. Sadly, the State Museum will be closed when we are there (I called and checked).

OH! Re: Victoria...

I think B. Gardens is only worth doing if you are into gardens.

My cruise gets there at 6 PM, which I found a bit silly and disappointing as my traveling companion has never been.

For the evening, Victoria is pretty "sleepy" in that everything does shut down promptly at 6 or 7 PM. Sure restaurants stay open, and I'm sure that if you are there on a Friday or Saturday night you can find some nightlife entertainment. I'm arriving at 6 PM and my companion wants to do the zipline while I do not. I'm not into gardening, etc. and did the Butchart Gardens once in high school, and would only be interested in it again for high tea or something similar to that. Not while in port. So I'm planning on catching a taxi to a drug store downtown (that does stay open late) for my over the counter in Canada meds :), then walk back on Government St., hopefully find a place open to buy maple cookies, and using the David Foster causeway walk (goes clear to Fisherman's Wharf) to get back to the ship. If I decide to stop to grab a bite or have a glass of wine at one of my favorite stops, I'll might take the water taxi back to Fisherman's Wharf.

The Inner Harbor is gorgeous - worth the walk and walk back. Photographers will enjoy the Inner Harbor area and causeway - might spot a seal or two in the water, a float plane landing, crowds of people, and the architecture of the Empress and the Parliment building lit up are photographic favorites of many. If you are tired of ship food, there are lots of excellent restaurants around too.

If you are there during the day, LUCKY YOU! Not sure what your ship excursions include, but if there is a hop on/hop off bus through the "highlights" of Victoria, I think that would be interesting. I've done it a couple of times, one that included the greater area. Depending on your time there, I'd do the shorter ones that focus on downtown - Chinatown, waterfront, etc.

If you are a museum lover or even a "I don't mind, if they are good" type of person, the Royal BC Museum is a MUST MUST MUST SEE. I'm sad they don't have it as an option for my evening stop. It is sincerely one of the best museums I've been to, ever, and on par with some of my favorite Smithsonian ones.

If my 6 hours in Victoria were during the day and keeping in mind that my friend has never been, I'd have us spend 2 or 3 hours at the Museum, catch a water taxi at the Inner Harbor to Chinatown, then we would walk back on Government street to check out the shops, Bastion Square, Trounce Alley (great little tapas place there), and end up back at the Inner Harbor. We could easily get a cab to the ship, or use the water taxi or pedi cab options if we had more time.

We ARE doing the Mt. Roberts tram, and am open to exploring the city. However, I haven't been able to find a hop on, hop off bus which is my usual favorite way of exploring a new touristy city for the first time. Sadly, the State Museum will be closed when we are there (I called and checked).

When is the State Museum closed? We will also be sailing in July and were considering going there. Their web site says they are open daily 9 am - 5 pm in the summer. I never considered that there was any reason to think they wouldn't be open when we are there.

When is the State Museum closed? We will also be sailing in July and were considering going there. Their web site says they are open daily 9 am - 5 pm in the summer. I never considered that there was any reason to think they wouldn't be open when we are there.

4th of July. The museum is run and staffed by the state, so no holiday visits.

...Is Mendenhall really worth it for people who aren't particularly outdoorsy, AND whose cruise is spending the next day in Glacier Bay? I'm on the fence, and my friend is fine with skipping it. Neither one of us is remotely interested in the helicopters (for more than just the cost). Is it true that it is a mile and a half each way to even see it from the visitor center? ...

I've been out to Mendenhall during the Juneau stop on three cruises. I've enjoyed it every time and may go again this time, even though our ship is also going to Glacier Bay the next day too. Every glacier is different.

No, it is not a mile and a half to view from the visitor center. There's a huge window in the visitor center to view the glacier from. In fact, I think you can see it from the parking lot where the tour buses drop off. It IS a mile and a half from where the city bus drops off to the visitor center. Maybe that's where the mile and a half came from?

I enjoyed the funicular in Ketchikan. It's $3 for all day and goes from Creek Street to Cape Fox Lodge up on the hill. You get a beautiful view and they have a small museum upstairs. Also, beautiful totems in front.

So, here's my interesting question.... my ship will be docked at Ketchikan from 2 PM to 8:30 PM. I'm interested in two things on my visit: The Totem Heritage House and the Lumberjack show. Which would you choose?

So' date=' here's my interesting question.... my ship will be docked at Ketchikan from 2 PM to 8:30 PM. I'm interested in two things on my visit: The Totem Heritage House and the Lumberjack show. Which would you choose?[/quote']

If totems are of great interest to you, The Heritage Center isn't the only location to view totems in Ketchikan . Saxman Village is only 2 or 2 miles from town, or there are a dozen totems scattered within the town itself, easily located on the town's walking tour map

Choosing a different totem display will give you the opportunity to see the Lumberjack Show AND totems.

Info on displays in this link:

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

• 4 months later...
While in Skagway, I will rent a car and drive all the way to Emerald Lake. There used to be small horseback riding outfit run by a very nice lady. I don't know if that is still the case.

I did the same. Rented a car and drove to Emerald Lake. Very beautiful drive. Bring your passport. You cross the border!

I think a important must is to enjoy the ports you go too. There are landmarks, museums and cultural things that are all free to see and do in them. In Juneau along the boardwalk behind the Red Dog Saloon there are great statues of miners and sailors. Also there is a bronze statue of the famous dog Patsy Ann. She was a deaf dog the town adopted and loved in the early yrs. She would bark and bark and to let them know when a ship was coming into the bay even before it could be seen. It is a very amazing story about her. All of the ports have their own special things to do and see in them. Tours are wonderful but I always gave some time to enjoy the ports we stopped at.

We sailed on Radiance of the Seas to AK in 2015. We are returning to AK on STAR Princess in May 2018. This time we are adding a land tour. I have 22 people traveling with me that have not been to Alaska before. I will share with you what I recommend to them. When we went in 2015, we were more budget conscious than we will be on our next trip, so some of the "things to do" are not super expensive.

In Ketchikan, this is a great little town to walk around. The prices for souvenirs are the cheapest here than other ports. We did a northbound trip and many people bought sweatshirts and jackets in this port to use for the remainder of the cruise. We really enjoyed the Duckboat Tour. It takes you all around the city and then in the port area. Lots of history provided and funny jokes. After we left the Duckboat Tour, we went to the Lumber Jack Show. This is great for families with kids. I enjoyed it myself. On our next cruise, we plan to do a boat/sea plane tour of Misty Fjords.

In Juneau, I highly recommend the Mount Roberts Tram. We actually went up twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Not as crowded in the afternoon. There are trails you can take once you are up there. There is shopping, lots of history information, a demonstration of making a totem pole and an eagle. After we left the tram in the morning, we traveled to Mendenhall Glacier. We were able to take both paths to see the glacier. If your time is limited, take the path to the right. I believe it is called Nugget Falls. We didn't have time to tour the museum. However, a friend that was with us was not able to walk the trail and she spent time in the museum. She really enjoyed it. Later, I recommend you walk the town and do some shopping. Stop by the Red Dog Saloon for music, food and drink. It was a lot of fun.

In Skagway, we had a combo of bus/train up the White Pass Trail. We rode the bus first, stopping by a Sled Dog camp. The train ride was great. On our next trip, we are going to take tour that goes all the way to Emerald Lake and then we will ride the bus back. If you decide to do a bus/train comb, I suggest you ride the bus first. Sometime the fog prevents you from having great views from the train in the morning.

On our last cruise, we went to Icy Strait Point. I loved it. My regret was not doing the Zipline. I was scared until I saw it. It is more like sitting in a swing and riding the line down. We had other excursions booked, which I enjoyed. We rode a tram around the island. We saw lots of bald eagles and learned the history of the island and the tribes. There is a canning museum that is very interesting. We also went to a tribal dance/play. It was also interesting.

The problem with cruising to Alaska is you always want to go back. There is just too much beauty and too much to do.

Ketchikan: The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

Juneau: The 5 Glacier Taku Lodge with Salmon Bake Float Plane Tour

Ketchikan: A Float Plane Tour that lands on a lake in Misty Fjords and where you are allowed to leave the plane, stand on the plane's floats, and absorb the "deafening" silence and the beauty of the natural surroundings.

There are my best recommendations for a visit to these two ports. Have yet to visit Skagway.

Ketchikan: The Bering Sea Crab Fishermen's Tour

Juneau: The 5 Glacier Taku Lodge with Salmon Bake Float Plane Tour

Ketchikan: A Float Plane Tour that lands on a lake in Misty Fjords and where you are allowed to leave the plane, stand on the plane's floats, and absorb the "deafening" silence and the beauty of the natural surroundings.

There are my best recommendations for a visit to these two ports. Have yet to visit Skagway.

I did this tour with Island Wings and it was truly the most memorable tour I have ever taken in Alaska. We even saw a whale in the water as we took off, Mt Goats on the Fjords and Bears in a few places. It is a little pricey but well worth it.

If you want to spend $$$ on a helicopter, consider Juneau glacier dog sledding. We did it through ERA helicopters. They do excursions through the cruise lines, but you can also book on your own. We thought it was the highlight of the trip. Some of the dog have run the Iditarod. Highly recommended.

For a great "native" Alaska, our favorite port was Icy Strait Point. Not all ships go there. You can hike, whale watch, several tram and ATV/jeep tours or just walk to town and talk to the native residents. No diamond or tanzanite shops anywhere, no cheap souvenir shops; a welcome change. We took a forest tram tour, which we thought wouldn't be all that interesting, but our tour guide was a tribal chief and he spent the entire tour telling stories about the native culture and personal stories of growing up as a young Tlingit boy. It was fascinating!!!! Oh yeah, and they have a very long, steep zip line ride next to the dock. lol.

I think “ Don’t miss” is pretty subjective. It’s what interests you and the budget. We did mushers camp dog sledding in Skagway and loved it. It was not cheap, but it was much less than taking a helicopter to a glacier. My son and his wife took a cruise into the misty fiords and loved it,again, not cheap, but much less expensive then the biplane.

When in the Caribbean, we rarely do any excursions. In my opinion,an Alaska cruise is all about the excursions and they significantly bring up the cost of the vacation. There was little difference in the cost of a Princess excursion and one I could book myself,so we did it with Princess.

Universally, Mendenhall Glacier is a must see. It is not expensive to visit. It can be done as an excursion or on your own. It is great for kids and it is handicapped accessible. Before going on vacation, do your research. What do you want to do and how can you do it within your budget?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Universally, Mendenhall Glacier is a must see. It is not expensive to visit. It can be done as an excursion or on your own. It is great for kids and it is handicapped accessible. Before going on vacation, do your research. What do you want to do and how can you do it within your budget?

I am the opposite - I am underwhelmed with Mendenhall glacier (when you visit the Visitor Center --not land on the glacier). So much to do in Juneau, I don't put this as a priority. I have done the hikes and it just doesn't do anything for me.

I am the opposite - I am underwhelmed with Mendenhall glacier (when you visit the Visitor Center --not land on the glacier). So much to do in Juneau, I don't put this as a priority. I have done the hikes and it just doesn't do anything for me.

Like I said, it’s subjective.

Sent from my iPad using Forums