Ensenada and Catalina advice please

Derbie

We will be taking a four day cruise in March. First time, for our son, wife and their children. We are hitting Disney Land, and then the cruise. I am unable to find a lot of suggestions on this board. We have children 2 years to 12 years old. I have been on other sites that have some recommendations. We are looking for fun things to do in the port. Disney is going to suck the coin from my purse, so any money saving suggestions would be nice. Actually, all suggestions would be appreciated. :)

Catalina has a nice mini golf course. The semi-sub, at times, discounts their 1pm ride. Could just put towels down on Pebble Beach, next to the Green Pier. The water will be cold and yes, the beach is pebbly, but it is free ;). The Arcade in the Metropole complex has a very good thin crust pizza. Also, if you forgot anything there are two Vons (Safeway) markets. Unfortunately, you'll be paying resort prices (but cheaper than Disney) as everything is shipped over from the mainland.

Ensenada can be a cheap town. We enjoyed the new science museum at the entrance to the port. IIRC adults were $5, seniors are $2. Geared towards school age kids. Signage is in Spanish and English. Check out both levels, the lower level is geology, conservation etc. make sure to experience the Shake House. Upstairs is regional history. Along the remodeled Malecon (boardwalk) is a very decent play area. In town, there is a military barracks that is very interesting, takes about 10 minutes to look thru. Free but Donations are accepted.

Recommend three places to eat, all take USD, none should be more than $10pp- El Haciendo Del Charro on Ave Lopez, it has a rotisserie in the window (avoid the fries, they're lousy) ; Taqueria Lindo, between Papas n Beer and Hussongs, very good but very small can be hard to find seating for a large group; up towards Segundo from Taqueria Linda is a Michoacána ice cream shop, Popsicles and cones run about $1USD; Guadalajara on Macheros is great for a large group. We have taken many people to these three restaurants over the years.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d3544806-Reviews-Birrieria_La_Guadalajara-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d1651490-Reviews-Taqueria_Mexico_Lindo-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html?m=19904

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150770-d8396117-Reviews-Hacienda_Del_Charro-Ensenada_Ensenada_Municipality_Baja_California.html?m=19904

Edited by SadieN

We did this cruise last year. We went out to the blow hole at ensenad a which was very crowded. I don't think I would get it the ship in ensenada if we went back. In catalina we just hung out all day on the little beach by the board walk. The kids (4 of them from 2yo to 6) played all day there and the adults took turns shopping and browsing the shops near by.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...
How do you get there from the cruise terminal?

It's the white building, across the street and a bit to the right from the cruise port. Used to be visible from the ship but the science museum blocks the view.

Some of the tours stop here.

• 1 month later...

On Catalina it might be fun to go zip lining but it depends if the kids are over 6. Great fun even for someone afraid of heights, yours truly. While your zipping you'll be able to see your ship. It's so cool! Hope you all have a great time-have fun.

Sent from my iPad using Forums