My review of Eurodam to Alaska May 6th sailing from Seattle

styles27

Thank you for some very good information about your cruise. I've only booked on excursion - sled dogs in Juneau (can't resist dogs and puppies) It sounds like you were able to see the things I want to see without the excursion (Bears, Raptors). I will probably sit out Victoria too - I've been there in August when it's warm and beautiful. Mostly I want to experience the Glaciers and vast space. I also sprung for a Veranda - I thought about ocean view but I booked this recently and all that was left were behind the lifeboats. Just over a week to go - can't wait. Thanks again for your review - it was just the info I wanted.

Glad I could help! The sled dogs excursion sounds great! I can't wait to hear how you like it!

You will be so glad to have a veranda. I wasn't sure it would be warm enough for us to justify getting one but we were able to sit out there every day, even our sea day with just a fleece type jacket and hat.

There are wool lap blankets provided in the cabin...I forgot to mention that in the review. They're located in the storage units above the sofa and they're perfect for providing that little extra lap coverage.

We were hesitant to book excursions ahead of time because the weather changes so quickly as you know. I'm happy we did everything independently. We saved a lot of money and were able to do it at our leisure. It worked out really well.

Have a wonderful cruise...I know you will!

Wow....beautiful pictures! Love that light on the ships bow too!

Thanks Sean! I thought that was pretty cool too...I was glad the iPhone camera captured it. I didn't have my good camera on me so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

I always say that I learn more about the reviewer than I do about the cruise ship experience when I read reviews. I was pretty certain that Deb (Styles27) was going to enjoy her cruise, because she extracts enjoyment from most of her life's experiences. It's explicit in her attitude here when she posts.:D I also think she is good at rolling with any punches that may come her way. So, thank you, Deb, it was a pleasure to follow along with you, and get to know you a little:D Happy travels wherever you may go!

Thanks Sean! I thought that was pretty cool too...I was glad the iPhone camera captured it. I didn't have my good camera on me so I wasn't sure how it would turn out.

From an iPhone! Here I thought you must have some expensive camera because they look so professional.

I always say that I learn more about the reviewer than I do about the cruise ship experience when I read reviews. I was pretty certain that Deb (Styles27) was going to enjoy her cruise, because she extracts enjoyment from most of her life's experiences. It's explicit in her attitude here when she posts.:D I also think she is good at rolling with any punches that may come her way. So, thank you, Deb, it was a pleasure to follow along with you, and get to know you a little:D Happy travels wherever you may go!

I agree 😊 100%. I have the same attitude toward not letting things that don't go well to spoil my trip.

Thank you for the review - I have read a few others and you made it seem like an easy breezy time with many pluses and few minuses :D

One thing however, was the dance comment. I noticed Tea Dances listed on the programs, and I was also under the impression that the Ocean Bar has a small dance floor and plays live music about 3 different nights during the voyage. I was guessing we would have a few dances at those times.

Thank you so much for this great review and report! We're getting ready to sail in two weeks and it will be a first time on a HAL ship for us so I've been combing various reports to make sure I have the info I need (and frankly to armchair travel while I wait.) Great advice and really well done pictures!

Oh my goodness Diann thank you so much for your kind words, it means a lot to me.☺️

I feel like I've gotten to know you also the last few months...you were so patient answering all of my questions leading up to this cruise and sharing your photos and posts from your past cruises to Alaska. That was such a big help to me, so thank you for that!

Every time we travel somewhere I think, wow, we're so fortunate to be able to experience this together. I'm so thankful for these experiences.

I went back to work today, I'm a hairstylist (that's where styles27 comes from lol) I had my IPad on my station playing a slideshow of the 400+ photos I took of this trip and it was so fun reliving it with my clients.

The memories are the best part of traveling! This trip will be special to me for a very long time...it really was like nothing I've ever experienced before. I loved it.

How formal were formal nights and when are they ?

Thanks for the review !!

Let's see...Sunday and Thursday were the "gala" nights as they call them now.

Silly me, I had booked Canaletto on Sunday and Tamarind on Thursday because I didn't know when the gala nights were. It worked out ok.

We saw all levels of attire. Most men were wearing a shirt and tie without a sports jacket but there were a few in suits and tuxedos.

Ladies were in anything from nice pants suits, to cocktail dresses and a few gowns. I wore a long maxi dress one evening and a nice black jumpsuit the other and my husband did wear a sports coat with a shirt and tie.

We were up in the Lido area because of dining at Canaletto so we saw a lot of people dressed very casual there.

As a whole this was a pretty casual cruise...much more than others we've been on.

Thank you for the review - I have read a few others and you made it seem like an easy breezy time with many pluses and few minuses :D

One thing however, was the dance comment. I noticed Tea Dances listed on the programs, and I was also under the impression that the Ocean Bar has a small dance floor and plays live music about 3 different nights during the voyage. I was guessing we would have a few dances at those times.

Thank you...I'm glad it's been helpful. I received so many helpful tips here before this cruise so I wanted to try and pass that on to future cruisers.

You know...I didn't know what "Tea Dances" was when I saw that on the schedule.

Also, "Old as Dirt Mom" mentioned that she saw on the daily schedules that the Ocean Bar had dance music from 5 til 8pm a couple of nights and we unfortunately missed that as we usually were dining at that time.

I'm sorry now that I didn't pay better attention to that because we enjoy dancing.

Thank you so much for this great review and report! We're getting ready to sail in two weeks and it will be a first time on a HAL ship for us so I've been combing various reports to make sure I have the info I need (and frankly to armchair travel while I wait.) Great advice and really well done pictures!

You're so welcome! Armchair travel and the anticipation of an upcoming trip is great!

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Oh my goodness Diann thank you so much for your kind words, it means a lot to me.☺️

I feel like I've gotten to know you also the last few months...you were so patient answering all of my questions leading up to this cruise and sharing your photos and posts from your past cruises to Alaska. That was such a big help to me, so thank you for that!

Every time we travel somewhere I think, wow, we're so fortunate to be able to experience this together. I'm so thankful for these experiences.

I went back to work today, I'm a hairstylist (that's where styles27 comes from lol) I had my IPad on my station playing a slideshow of the 400+ photos I took of this trip and it was so fun reliving it with my clients.

The memories are the best part of traveling! This trip will be special to me for a very long time...it really was like nothing I've ever experienced before. I loved it.

Your clients are very lucky:D (Actually, my name is Karin. The quote that you read at the bottom of my posts is from another CC member here, and her name is Diann. I wanted to make sure to attribute the quote to her. Sorry about the confusion). My sister and I really appreciate all the feedback you gave us here about your Eurodam Alaska cruise, as we get ready to board in just a couple of days. We have been to Alaska many times, and we never, ever get tired of it. The magical spell is there for us each time:D

Thank you...I'm glad it's been helpful. I received so many helpful tips here before this cruise so I wanted to try and pass that on to future cruisers.

You know...I didn't know what "Tea Dances" was when I saw that on the schedule.

Also, "Old as Dirt Mom" mentioned that she saw on the daily schedules that the Ocean Bar had dance music from 5 til 8pm a couple of nights and we unfortunately missed that as we usually were dining at that time.

I'm sorry now that I didn't pay better attention to that because we enjoy dancing.

I first learned about Tea Dances on Cunard :cool: - love those!

Your clients are very lucky:D (Actually, my name is Karin. The quote that you read at the bottom of my posts is from another CC member here, and her name is Diann. I wanted to make sure to attribute the quote to her. Sorry about the confusion). My sister and I really appreciate all the feedback you gave us here about your Eurodam Alaska cruise, as we get ready to board in just a couple of days. We have been to Alaska many times, and we never, ever get tired of it. The magical spell is there for us each time:D

I will remember your name now for sure! ;) I love that quote and I smile every time I see it.

Two days...you're so lucky! Are you going on Eurodam too?

I hope you have a wonderful time with calm seas and lots of sunshine!

That's pretty much it on Cunard. Tea with a trio or an orchestra and dancing. I did not know about it until I sailed, and I learned that the first full day at sea was always traditionally a Tea Dance, so apparently a few lines still have that tradition!

I will remember your name now for sure! ;) I love that quote and I smile every time I see it.

Two days...you're so lucky! Are you going on Eurodam too?

I hope you have a wonderful time with calm seas and lots of sunshine!

Thanks, Deb, and yes we are going on Eurodam. I consider you my personal resident Cruise Critic Eurodam expert, because you have sailed on that ship and we haven't yet, and you are so good about answering questions:D I hope we have calm seas and lots of sunshine, too, because believe me it makes a huge difference in one's perception of a cruise:D We will be sure to check out the band in the Ocean Bar for you, and report our findings here:D

Karin

That's pretty much it on Cunard. Tea with a trio or an orchestra and dancing. I did not know about it until I sailed, and I learned that the first full day at sea was always traditionally a Tea Dance, so apparently a few lines still have that tradition!

I will be sure we don't miss it the next time that's for sure! Thank you!

Thanks, Deb, and yes we are going on Eurodam. I consider you my personal resident Cruise Critic Eurodam expert, because you have sailed on that ship and we haven't yet, and you are so good about answering questions:D I hope we have calm seas and lots of sunshine, too, because believe me it makes a huge difference in one's perception of a cruise:D We will be sure to check out the band in the Ocean Bar for you, and report our findings here:D

Karin

I am honored to have that title! :D Wish we had been on the same sailing as you and your sister!

Yes, the Ocean bar...it's a mystery for sure. lol

Someone on another thread said they have a piano there but I don't remember seeing one...and I swear I only drink a glass or two of wine and am in complete control of myself always. lol. How did I miss a piano?:confused:

I still have Seattle listed in my weather app and it looks like you will have a nice day for your sail away!

I'll be watching the Juneau webcam on Monday when you dock!

Bon Voyage!!

• 4 months later...

Nice review..... thank you. I giggled when you mentioned your husband preferring warmer vacation destinations. Mine too. After talking about it for a few years, we're booked for September. Do you think it matters which side of the ship your cabin is on?