"If only I'd brought..."

le4ne

So this will be my first cruise (cruising on Carnival Dream) and while we are planning on enjoying the ports, we are trying to vacation on the cheap and do not plan on doing any excursions. I do not want to have to purchase food in the ports so I am thinking about bringing some Ziploc bags to bag up some snacks or sandwiches or something from the buffet and bring ashore with us to hold us over while we are in port. Is this frowned upon? Are there foods available at the buffet that would make good snacks? I always bring some ziplocs with me any time we travel as they always seem to come in handy, and I have done something similar to this when I stay at hotels with continental breakfasts. Thoughts would be appreciated!

I still travel with my Kindle and my iPod touch for the very reasons you listed.

Aren't they great? :D Admittedly the iPod is getting less usage now that I have an unlimited mobile data plan, since I can pull up pretty much any song on Google Play Music. That's also been indispensable since it has a huge library + you can upload your own music to make playlists. Plus it has podcasts (not a huge number compared to iTunes, but easily 90% of my faves) and the subscription includes ad-free viewing for your YouTube account. It's probably the most worthwhile subscription I have other than Amazon Prime.

Aren't they great? :D Admittedly the iPod is getting less usage now that I have an unlimited mobile data plan, since I can pull up pretty much any song on Google Play Music. That's also been indispensable since it has a huge library + you can upload your own music to make playlists. Plus it has podcasts (not a huge number compared to iTunes, but easily 90% of my faves) and the subscription includes ad-free viewing for your YouTube account. It's probably the most worthwhile subscription I have other than Amazon Prime.

Absolutely. The battery life of the Kindle was the reason I had not interest in an iPad. I travel by air several times a month which is the main reason for the iPod so I am not dependent on the airline to provide a selection for listening.

So this will be my first cruise (cruising on Carnival Dream) and while we are planning on enjoying the ports, we are trying to vacation on the cheap and do not plan on doing any excursions. I do not want to have to purchase food in the ports so I am thinking about bringing some Ziploc bags to bag up some snacks or sandwiches or something from the buffet and bring ashore with us to hold us over while we are in port. Is this frowned upon? Are there foods available at the buffet that would make good snacks? I always bring some ziplocs with me any time we travel as they always seem to come in handy, and I have done something similar to this when I stay at hotels with continental breakfasts. Thoughts would be appreciated!

Things are pretty relaxed in the islands, but bringing in fruit and meats ashore may be a no no.

Why not have lunch on the ship? Even in tender ports that is fairly easy to do.

If you're not going to be going on any excursions, you could always have lunch before you go, and then pop back to the ship quickly for a meal if you get hungry again. You can take a plate of food from the buffet back to your room, and from there you could load up your ziplock bags, but it might not be worth the trouble when you can get a fresh meal in a local restaurant for $5-10.

We slide an open piece of luggage under the bed on each side. We bring along several 2 gallon ziploc heavy duty bags. We simply pull out a corner of the luggage and toss in our dirty clothes. After a few days, casually fold dirties and fill a bag. Zip almost shut, sit on the bag and finish closing. Toss in the open piece of luggage under the bed. Repeat every few days depending on the length of the cruise. By the time the cruise is over you are mostly packed!

We slide an open piece of luggage under the bed on each side. We bring along several 2 gallon ziploc heavy duty bags. We simply pull out a corner of the luggage and toss in our dirty clothes. After a few days, casually fold dirties and fill a bag. Zip almost shut, sit on the bag and finish closing. Toss in the open piece of luggage under the bed. Repeat every few days depending on the length of the cruise. By the time the cruise is over you are mostly packed!

This is why I only bring disposable clothing when I cruise. That way I can fill my luggage up with all those duty-free souvenirs!

• 1 month later...
They always have small cereal boxes, yogurt, milk, etc. Try to take off prepackaged items, but no fruit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Straws. When you're in port and you want a can of soda, don't put your mouth on it. You don't know if the ice it's been sitting in is good. I got sick once by drinking a can of soda in Mexico. Didn't think about the ice having germs.

Princess ships have straws, I know that for sure, since our kid prefers to drink through a straw. No reason to haul it from home.

If you're not going to be going on any excursions, you could always have lunch before you go, and then pop back to the ship quickly for a meal if you get hungry again. You can take a plate of food from the buffet back to your room, and from there you could load up your ziplock bags, but it might not be worth the trouble when you can get a fresh meal in a local restaurant for $5-10.

we personally don't trust local restaurants, especially when traveling with a kid.

So, we fill up ziplock bags with breakfast pastries and bring small boxes of Fruit Loops from the buffet. Plus, bottled water.

1) Power strip - you would think in 2017 there would be more than one outlet in a cabin. You might be right, but it's more likely you are wrong. I have a power strip that lives in my suitcase now for that very reason.

2) Go to the pharmacy and walk up and down the OTC aisles. Grab whatever you could possibly need to treat a minor malady. After I paid $15 for 5 doses of DayQuil on my first cruise, I started doing this. I bring cold meds, something for headaches, high SPF sunscreen (I burn BADLY), aloe, Benadryl (or generic), Pepto, Dramamine, antacids, Gas X....you name it, I've got it. Everyone thinks it's crazy...until I have something for their upset stomach or headache. If you don't use it on the cruise, it's good to keep around the house anyway.

I am putting my vote in for the earplugs also. I don't travel by land or sea without them.

I also take Chlorox wipes in a ziplock bag to wipe everything down in my cabin when I get there.

I take extra ziplock bags to gather a small amount of sand at each beach we visit. I use a small glass bottle with a cork and embellishments to make a Christmas ornament . I take a permanent marker to write the beach name on the bag. I used to try and find a Christmas ornament whenever we traveled but I enjoy my DIY ones better.

...I take extra ziplock bags to gather a small amount of sand at each beach we visit. I use a small glass bottle with a cork and embellishments to make a Christmas ornament . I take a permanent marker to write the beach name on the bag. I used to try and find a Christmas ornament whenever we traveled but I enjoy my DIY ones better.

You might want to consider the cumulative effect of visitors removing a tiny bit of beach.

I am putting my vote in for the earplugs also. I don't travel by land or sea without them.

I also take Chlorox wipes in a ziplock bag to wipe everything down in my cabin when I get there.

I take extra ziplock bags to gather a small amount of sand at each beach we visit. I use a small glass bottle with a cork and embellishments to make a Christmas ornament . I take a permanent marker to write the beach name on the bag. I used to try and find a Christmas ornament whenever we traveled but I enjoy my DIY ones better.

They always made me dump the sand out upon entering the ship ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Small first aid kit is a must for us, it's so nice to have cold medication or ibuprofen on hand rather than trying to purchase it on a ship or port.

For night lights I like these motion sensitive, battery operated ones. I bought them for my interior bathroom at home (no outlets) and it's just the right amount of light when I go into the bathroom: https://www.amazon.com/Cordless-Battery-Powered-Stick-anywhere-Hallway-Bathroom/dp/B00T1O1DXY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1497973024&sr=8-5&keywords=battery+night+light

In 10 cruises I've never used magnets, etc. I've honestly just stored all the papers in the night stand drawer and been fine. I don't like clutter on my walls, but that's just a personal preference.

I will say, I never feel like I have enough hooks when traveling, especially when traveling with my kids. Between towels and bathing suits there just aren't enough places to hang wet things. For hotels I've started traveling with some over the door hooks, but need to evaluated what I can do in a cruise cabin.

Finally, I pack roll up soft-sided tote bags to use as laundry bags. I hang one from a hanger in the closet and as I finish with items they go into the tote bags. When I'm ready to pack, I just tuck my tote bags into my luggage and DONE!

I am a frequent cruiser and that is such a great idea. We usually use one of the shelves for dirty clothes. We leave Dec 3 rd again so I will be getting one for sure..thanks for the awesome tip

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Many thanks everyone for the advice. I would probably have wildly over-packed but I feel re-assured by everyone's advice and comments.

Whilst I'm usually prepared for most things and plan well... when packing for vacations I always manage to miss something!

Usually it is something fairly essential like a hairbrush, no idea why! So if you're on the Arcadia going to Norway in 9 days time and see someone wandering around for the first few hours with terrible hair... that'll be me!

Sent from a mobile device... yep, I could be anywhere right now!

We bring a magnetic board with dry erase so we can put our show time and leave any messages for room steward. We always travel in Early Dec and March, Dec we hang a stocking w/magnetic hook and put something in it every night before we go to dinner. We leave a little note on the board as well. We let them know at first meeting to check the stocking nightly for goodies. We put in boxes of candy, bottle of soda, jerky, peanuts, pens, stationary, chips and other practical goodies. Bring a highlighter for cruise compass and a little note pad. We also take a picture of the day of the week in the elevator every morning so we know what day we took those pictures and where we were at.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app