Credit card travel/trip insurance

Miga

Here's how it defines Pre-Existing Condition: Pre-Existing Condition – illness, disease or Accidental injury of you,your Traveling Companion, your Immediate Family Member or theImmediate Family Member of the Traveling Companion, for whichmedical advice, diagnosis, care or treatment was recommended orreceived within the 60-day period immediately prior to the purchaseof a Covered Trip. The taking of prescription drugs or medicationfor a controlled condition throughout this 60-day period will not beconsidered to be a treatment of illness or disease

I just called about this. My 89 year old father has had parkinson's for about 8 years. He is on medication. That and that he has had it for so long seems to make it not a preexisting condition so if something happened to him I would be able to cancel with Chase.

My big problem with using Chase Reserve for all my travel needs is the paltry amount of medical coverage-$2,500. Now there is $100k for evacuation and any transport or medical needs related to that. IT does include evacuation from a cruise ship which I watch for because some policies only cover from a land based hospital.

I just called about this. My 89 year old father has had parkinson's for about 8 years. He is on medication. That and that he has had it for so long seems to make it not a preexisting condition so if something happened to him I would be able to cancel with Chase.

My big problem with using Chase Reserve for all my travel needs is the paltry amount of medical coverage-$2,500. Now there is $100k for evacuation and any transport or medical needs related to that. IT does include evacuation from a cruise ship which I watch for because some policies only cover from a land based hospital.

Look in to GeoBlue for the medical. We were surprised at the reasonable cost for the medical coverage.

We also have MedJetAssist for evacuation for both medical and political reasons.

Look in to GeoBlue for the medical. We were surprised at the reasonable cost for the medical coverage.

We also have MedJetAssist for evacuation for both medical and political reasons.

I checked with my local blue cross and my insurance covers me overseas. I think I am all set for now. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 1 month later...
I have spoken two CSR from Chase Sapphire Preferred. If each of us pays for part of the cruise with our own card, the travel benefit applies to both card holders.

So I have been approved for a card and my husband already has his. This will give us each 10K in trip cancellation and interruption. I am happy with that.

I will also get 50K bonus points for spending 4K in the first three months. Final payment for the world cruise is October 8. We are planning on using the Chase cards to pay for 10K of the trip each.

Bottom line we will have 26K in credit card insurance. 20K from Chase and 6K from the Costco Citibank.

If there are other cards that I should know about, please advise. :D:cool::halo:

Quick question.. history real quick. We paid down payment $1000 with Chase sapphire preferred and the rest with the new card from southwest visa (trying to score free flights with points). Would the benefit still apply to us even if it was partial payment thru chase?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Quick question.. history real quick. We paid down payment $1000 with Chase sapphire preferred and the rest with the new card from southwest visa (trying to score free flights with points). Would the benefit still apply to us even if it was partial payment thru chase?

I do not know the answer to that.

We put much more than 10K on each Chase Sapphire card for our upcoming World Cruise.

We also decided to insure the cruise nevertheless.

You should call Chase for the answer to your question.

I do not know the answer to that.

We put much more than 10K on each Chase Sapphire card for our upcoming World Cruise.

We also decided to insure the cruise nevertheless.

You should call Chase for the answer to your question.

Thank you for taking your time responding back!! [emoji3]

My understanding (from a previous talk with Chase folks) is you would be insured for up to the $1000 you put on their card. The travel insurance is the actual charge up to $10,000. We wrestle whether to put things on Chase for the insurance....or whether it should be on a different card where we have a different group of benefits.

Hank

Some of the policies offered by certain credit card companies are really good but like most things the devil is in the details. You have to reads all of the fine print but then again you should do that when looking at traditional third party travel insurance.

Keith

We have a Chase Mileage Plus card (which we are using to purchase the cruise) and called the travel benefit number listed on their website. I asked to be elevated to a person in the travel protection section who patiently answered all of my questions AND emailed me a link to their Travel Protection Benefit brochure which includes all of the coverages, exclusions and definitions. I am pleased because combined with travel evacuation coverage from another organization to which we belong, the Chase card will cover what we need and overall we will save over $200 for a 15 day cruise. I wish I had been more aware of this benefit on prior cruises.

Yes, we also recently purchased the Chase Reserve card. It was spendy but we will get much of the annual fee back due to travel costs. I noticed, however, that there is no provision for emergency evacuation. We may need to supplement for that, but, otherwise, I would think 20k should cover us. After all, it's not like we will have to get medical care in the US!

I was on the fence about betting the CSR, and had I known about the trip insurance, I would have gone for it. However I have the Bank of America Premium card instead, which more or less mirrored coverage through Visa. It has 15K in evacuation coverage.

• 3 weeks later...